Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Another great example of you resorting to character assassination and blanket statements in some effort to cobble together an argument.
You are making stuff up again. You see every attempt to show your errors as a "character assassination". Or at least you PRETEND To see it that way so you can claim that is what people are doing. Because then you do not actually have to reply to a thing they said..... you can simply make up lies about them and run away from the actual points they made.

The simply fact is you have had this explained to you numerous times, but I am happy to keep doing so as long as you are happy to keep being wrong.

Once again: You are under the impression, for reasons you have never explained, that there needs to be some kind of "purpose" in evolution or that EVERY trait has to be beneficial for it to be propagated in a species.

You are simply wrong in both of these assumptions and I have explained in detail why. That you want to call such explanations "cobbled together" is just a head in the sand tactic you enjoy employing on occasion.

Quote:
By the way, there is quite a lot of evidence showing that music has a positive impact on human beings.
Of course there is, I have never suggested otherwise. You are pretending I have said something I did not. But that does not make it a "purpose" so you are still simply wrong here.

Quote:
Your comments still don't explain to me why evolution formed vocal cords in certain people to create pleasing harmonies.
You ignoring the explanation does not mean the explanation is not there. Again: It is a by product effect. We evolved to be able to make noises for communication but we have ways of utilizing that attribute for means of our own.

Quote:
You You you, more examples of YOU making this about me instead of the topic at hand.
Again you make things up that are not there. I have explained exactly where you error is related to the topic at hand. You ignoring it does not mean I did not do it.

Quote:
Now this is a kind of response I can respect. You actually directly tackle my question with a bit of supporting evidence. Course, I still think it's all bunk, but see you could have just posted these comments here, and not resorted to insulting me as always.
I did no such thing. You are as usual making things up. I always explain the basis of my points to you. You just pretend I do not so you can write throw away off topic nonsense like this above.

And of course as usual you just call it "bunk" and run away without discussing the evidence or the arguments at all. Nothing new from you here.

Quote:
So in other words, you believe we are just another species of animals even though as music and art demonstrates, we are not like other animals. Yea right.
Being different to other animals does not falsify or negate the claim we are another animal. Many animals are unique, or have unique traits, but they are still animals. All you are doing is pointing to unique attributes and acting like this makes us not animals. Yea right.

Quote:
Does each toad create unique individual tunes, and some toads don't have the ability to sing? The only thing I see here is the programmed instinctive behavior that God gave each animal.
You keep latching on to diversity in a species as if it is making some kind of point, but I am unsure so far what point you think it is making? Actually I am unsure even you know what point you are making. What exactly do you think such diversity within a species actually means or implies here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
how do you notice or love God or feel His Divine Presence?
I'm in the absolute darkness of my long illness and torment.

I notice God and His divine presence in my terrifying darkness for He is the beacon of my life. I wouldn't know which way to go without Him.

I notice God and His divine presence when I'm in deep pain and suffering for He offers me a warm consolation. I wouldn't have the strength to endure the unspeakable torture I face each day and night without it.

I notice God and His divine presence when I thought I was all alone and forsaken for He stretched out His arm and reached for me. I wouldn't be able to stand up on my own, stay strong and stare at adversity right in its eyes.

I praise and love Him for all that. Amen

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
But, what u dont know is I have had drinks at the Dew Drop Inn...
Route 114 somwhere along Seneca Lake, NY.

Any Finger Lakes people here?

And Hey, Poppysead!
Well, my paternal grandparents, both deceased now, used to live in Waterloo, NY which is near the northern tip of Seneca Lake.

By Route 114, did you mean Route 414? That runs by Waterloo and into Seneca Falls, NY - between lakes Seneca and Cayuga.

It's been quite a while since I've been up that way, and while I still have a family member or two living in Rochester, NY, none live near the Finger Lakes these days.

But I do know the area you're talking about.

Here in the "backwoods of Pennsylvania" we have a Dew Drop Inn, as well ... and it's as old as the hills.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Here in the "backwoods of Pennsylvania" we have a Dew Drop Inn, as well ... and it's as old as the hills.
The one on CD has a few years before that applies.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I'm in the absolute darkness of my long illness and torment.

I notice God and His divine presence in my terrifying darkness for He is the beacon of my life. I wouldn't know which way to go without Him.

I notice God and His divine presence when I'm in deep pain and suffering for He offers me a warm consolation. I wouldn't have the strength to endure the unspeakable torture I face each day and night without it.

I notice God and His divine presence when I thought I was all alone and forsaken for He stretched out His arm and reached for me. I wouldn't be able to stand up on my own, stay strong and stare at adversity right in its eyes.

I praise and love Him for all that. Amen
Wow...thank you. I'm glad you feel "Him" ! :hug: emoticom

Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well, my paternal grandparents, both deceased now
, used to live in Waterloo, NY which is near the northern tip of Seneca Lake.
By Route 114, did you mean Route 414? That runs by Waterloo and into
Seneca Falls, NY - between lakes Seneca and Cayuga.
It's been quite a while since I've been up that way, and while I still have a
family member or two living in Rochester, NY, none live near the Finger Lakes these days.

Excuse me?
You didn't actually say Waterloo...where I was born...and
Phillip Seymour Hoffman's
grandmother, Mrs. Louks was my third grade teacher?
A town of 5000...and 20 bars or more.

I also have a family member in a Rochester suberb, Fairfield...the rich section where
PS Hoffman graduated from High School.

And yes I think I did mean 414...been a while, thanks...I must have been drinking.

And did you see the winner of the Master Chef this year is a grad of Geneva?
Parents have a pizzeria in Phelps?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
I do have moments where I am happy and full of joy, and my brain is pumping with happy thoughts, and my body is feeling relaxed. I love those moments. But I don' feel a "Him" or "something there", I just live the moment.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I play the piano and I am made aware that all the sounds are within 'Him".
They were created by "Him".
The air that they vibrate in ...it's all 'Him".
Him, Him, Him....He is under my feet, under my thumb on the gate latch...
I am in love with my Creator, Father, God.
Sigh ...how do you notice or love God or feel His Divine Presence?

He fills me like a warm Cognac on a Winter night...
I actually have to stop typing...to give you a chance.

xxoo
I'm much more "prose" than "poetry", so it's a little like you're speaking a foreign language. It's like listening to someone speak Italian or French ... it sure sounds pretty but I don't get it.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Excuse me?
You didn't actually say Waterloo...where I was born...and
Phillip Seymour Hoffman's
grandmother, Mrs. Louks was my third grade teacher?
A town of 5000...and 20 bars or more.

I also have a family member in a Rochester suberb, Fairfield...the rich section where
PS Hoffman graduated from High School.

And yes I think I did mean 414...been a while, thanks...I must have been drinking.

And did you see the winner of the Master Chef this year is a grad of Geneva?
Parents have a pizzeria in Phelps?
Hehe yep, the one and the same Waterloo. Small world, ain't it?

Yeah, I remember all of the bars. Holy damn. My grandparents were prodigeous drinkers unfortunately, and my grandfather had a lot of vices - drinking being one of them and throwing money away at the OTB sites was another. But at least he always bought loads of donuts!

They owned a trailer park there in Waterloo but I'm not sure if it even exists anymore. They sold off the property when I was still young. (My family in the USA are adoptive parents, not my biological parents). I do remember visiting Waterloo though - and their place was within walking distance of a boat graveyard because I had a blast climbing into all the old boats and exploring them. A body of water of some kind was nearby, too, that was kinda swampy. I have no idea if any of this sounds familiar to you.

My mother graduated from Geneseo some decades back, but Geneseo is way over on the far western side of the Finger Lakes region.

I visited Waterloo with my father when we used to live in Rochester - W. Henrietta to be precise. I know where Fairfield is, too, though I think you might mean Penfield.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
I play the piano and I am made aware that all the sounds are within 'Him".
They were created by "Him".
The air that they vibrate in ...it's all 'Him".
Him, Him, Him....He is under my feet, under my thumb on the gate latch...
I am in love with my Creator, Father, God.
Sigh ...how do you notice or love God or feel His Divine Presence?

He fills me like a warm Cognac on a Winter night...
I actually have to stop typing...to give you a chance.

xxoo
I do understand what you are saying, that you can see and feel It/Him in all things. I also share this view, however, my view of It/Him evolves around a non personal God, one that encompasses all things and nothing is left out. It is us and we are It.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality