Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times

Advertisements

At least the concept is explored in this article.

Science And Spirituality: Could It Be? : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

From the article:

It was the Roman poet Lucretius, writing around 50 B.C., who famously proclaimed reason as a tool to achieve
individual freedom, as a means of breaking free from superstitions that enslave the human mind:

"This dread and darkness of the mind cannot be dispelled by the sunbeams, the shining shafts of the day, but only by an understanding of the outward form and inner workings of nature."

Separating the spiritual from the mystical is the basic premise of the article. Well written, and can give pause to though both by those of faith and those who are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
M_M

62 posts, read 112,638 times
I think spirituality is not a very useful word nor well-defined. Its use in this context adds an air of mysticism to the naturally occurring tendency for humans to wonder about the answers to unknown questions and enjoy thinking about and solving them. Wondering about these things gives some a new perspective on their existence. Calling this spirituality makes this behavior seem more magical and mysterious, which seems unnecessary.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:25 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Yes science is spirituality. It is the third degree. The language for what we have learned.
It will take some time for us to learn how to Speak?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:10 PM

thought this might cool.
Nassim Haramein: Sacred Geometry And Unified Fields (Full Version)

Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 PM

I want to share something of a gift from God. So yeah I am re-gifting.
In the Old test the prophets refer to the message as a shadow of things to come. Whats so beautifully profound in this is the implication. That a Future event is the the light that shadows the present. I'll quote,"the past is history, the future is a mystery, and now is a gift." "that is why it is called the present."
When you refer to Einstein light is a constant relative equation to time. So the only form of energy that can travel at the speed of light is light. And being in form of spirit you are light. But the mind and body in a slower form of energy are bound to catch up. Thus the says scripture we are fallen.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM

Oh and yes, Einstein is a prophet. A holy man.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 PM

What you need to realize is that Scientist have doctrine also. There are few in the mass that will try to reconcile anything Einstein taught. But yet quote him as a standard to follow. In the world today what is published and broadcasted is not the truth. It is propaganda that must be weeded out. As I have posted before entropy is a part of recycle or enthalpy. There is a frame to follow. And the religious give math in a eccentric way. You just need to find the cipher.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:08 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
I consider science to be a deeply spiritual thing. To me, spirituality is about a personal relationship with ones self and nature. Science makes an effort to explain nature, and therefor science is nature. Some call nature 'God' or something to that affect, which is why so many associate spirituality with religion.

But here's what science does for me. It puts things in perspective. I am just a single component of a massively complex ecosystem, made up of billions of organisms, millions of which I can't even see. On top of that, I am living on a spec of dust, along side those billions of strange species, about 7 billion of which are humans like myself, all of which can be linked together by some common life form that evolved for millions of years, floating in a vast cosmos of wonder and mystery. To think that we look at the starts and see a vast expansion of endless wonder makes me realize that there is a distinct possibility that some alien life form light years away is looking at the same cosmos, and perhaps looking at our own sun, seeing it as nothing more than how we see the millions of stars in the sky. And Earth is our home; the place where everyone who we've ever heard of, has lived and died. And this, to me, is a sensation of wonder that may only be understood through the age old concept of spirituality.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
At least the concept is explored in this article.

Science And Spirituality: Could It Be? : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

From the article:

It was the Roman poet Lucretius, writing around 50 B.C., who famously proclaimed reason as a tool to achieve
individual freedom, as a means of breaking free from superstitions that enslave the human mind:

"This dread and darkness of the mind cannot be dispelled by the sunbeams, the shining shafts of the day, but only by an understanding of the outward form and inner workings of nature."

Separating the spiritual from the mystical is the basic premise of the article. Well written, and can give pause to though both by those of faith and those who are not.
Yes. I am a fundamentalist science pastor. err, wait a min, that might be a bad thing.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:03 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
Science is a tool, not a philosophy. People can wield the tool with spiritual thoughts in mind, but it does not contain spirituality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality