Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh. So if Popes differ on those things.....the degree of their Catholicism changes? The people who actually sit in Mass will be shocked to learn that. As will Francis. Are you an expert on deciding on these things?
The claim by the RCC is that the pope is infallible on issues of faith. So..yes--if a pope disagrees with a previous one on an issue that they're both supposedly infallible on.....that's an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The claim by the RCC is that the pope is infallible on issues of faith. So..yes--if a pope disagrees with a previous one on an issue that they're both supposedly infallible on.....that's an issue.
And who are you to declare which pope(s) is/was/were correct and that one is 'more Catholic' than another?

(Does this remind anybody of the game Vizio has been playing in another thread?)

Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And who are you to declare which pope(s) is/was/were correct and that one is 'more Catholic' than another?

(Does this remind anybody of the game Vizio has been playing in another thread?)
I'm merely pointing out that many RCC apologists are having some issues trying to reconcile his statements with what previous popes and church councils have said. I guess the "less Catholic" comment is due to the fact that he does differ from many previous popes and councils on some issues.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
he does differ from many previous popes and councils on some issues.
Please tell us which issues and how his stance on those issues makes Francis "less Catholic" than his predecessors.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Please tell us which issues and how his stance on those issues makes Francis "less Catholic" than his predecessors.
He said "Who am I to judge a gay person?" -- This has caused heartburn among some apologists.

"And I believe in God, not in a Catholic God, there is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation. Jesus is my teacher and my pastor, but God, the Father, Abba, is the light and the Creator. This is my Being." -- this is in stark contrast to past church councils and popes that claim the RCC is the only true church, and that they speak for God.

These are just two that I found by googling. There have been others.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
He said "Who am I to judge a gay person?" -- This has caused heartburn among some apologists.

"And I believe in God, not in a Catholic God, there is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation. Jesus is my teacher and my pastor, but God, the Father, Abba, is the light and the Creator. This is my Being." -- this is in stark contrast to past church councils and popes that claim the RCC is the only true church, and that they speak for God.

These are just two that I found by googling. There have been others.
Oh you used Google! Of course you did. You've learned all about the papacy of Francis by Googling. IIRC you got you're knowledge of Islam from the internet too!

Now then: the Roman Catholic Church and God are two different things. Catholics believe in God. Not some special Catholic God who is in Heaven just for them.

ALL Catholics believe in Jesus Christ. Including each and every Pope in the recent past. Just where does Francis' statement differ from the beliefs of other Popes? You claimed he's less Catholic. Where's the proof of that claim? And where in that statemen is Francis addressing the one, true church?

You can list the apologists while you're at it. The ones who got heartburn. The person having that heartburn is important. Hopefully it's not the ammo selling priest someone else on this forum uses as a "source". (The ammo-selling priest is colorful.....but a lousy example when used to say, "here's what the Catholics believe.")

We'll all wait while you look it up using Google.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-09-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times
I don't think the pope deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, talk is cheap let him do something concrete like abolish the Church's "Just War" teaching and kick out the military recruiters and ROTC programs from Catholic schools. Have him tell the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops to decline the annual dinner invitation from the Pentagon, lets be real.

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com...s-bishops.html

Last edited by ted08721; 10-11-2014 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality