Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times

Advertisements

"If chosen, he would be the first Pope ever to receive a Nobel Peace Prize."

Pope Francis tipped to win Nobel Peace Prize - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Just for advocating peace and an end to war? Hell, I do thet all the time. Can I get nominated?
Actually, I would not have read about any upcoming awards if not running into it right here.
The whole thing has lost whatever credibility it did have after Obama 'winning' it for.....for....what was it for???

Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,832 times
God bless our Pope Francis for he certainly is a man of humility with sincere concern for the troubles of the world. I wouldn't be surprised to learn a positive outcome in the shortly future.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
I think Pope Francis would be an excellent candidate, although I agree the standards are very lackluster after Obama received it for doing nothing. I'm not sure I'd want it after that.

I actually have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, incidentally.

(Anyone can be nominated. My college roommate sent a letter to the Nobel committee nominating me and I sent one for him. I've never had the guts to actually put it in my CV...)

Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Maybe it's because this pope is less catholic than the others in recent history.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe it's because this pope is less catholic than the others in recent history.
The Pope is a Catholic. He believes and practices the precepts and doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church.

Saying this Pope is less Catholic then others is on a par with saying someone is a little bit pregnant.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-08-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Pope is a Catholic. He believes in the precepts and doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church.

There is no such thing as more Catholic or less Catholic. Except to the people who might also believe someone can be a little bit pregnant.
Actually...he has given some Catholic apologists heartburn over a few of his statements. He has shown less emphasis on doctrine than his predecessors and has even said some things that seem to contradict previous popes.

Having said that, he has shown a desire to care for the poor. I think he has also preached inclusivism, and I think a lot of people like that.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
He's a good man. He shines.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Actually...he has given some Catholic apologists heartburn over a few of his statements. He has shown less emphasis on doctrine than his predecessors and has even said some things that seem to contradict previous popes.
Oh. So if Popes differ on those things.....the degree of their Catholicism changes? The people who actually sit in Mass will be shocked to learn that. As will Francis. Are you an expert on deciding on these things?

Let's see..... Paul VI and John Paul II were entirely different personalities and the focus of their papacies was very different. Was one of them "more" Catholic than the other? Where is John XXIII? He must REALLY throw the scale off.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-08-2014 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Quote:
Since "catholic" means universal, and he is reaching out to people who may feel disenfranchised, he may be more catholic than some other popes.

But he is a breath of fresh air. Consider the following quotes, and compare them to Pope Benedict XIII:

"Fundamentalism is always a falsification of religion. It goes against the essence of religion, which seeks to reconcile and to create God’s peace throughout the world."

"Many people today lack hope. They are perplexed by the questions that present themselves ever more urgently in a confusing world, and they are often uncertain which way to turn for answers. They see poverty and injustice and they long to find solutions. Yet if we refuse to share what we have with the hungry and the poor, we make of our possessions a false god. How many voices in our materialist society tell us that happiness is to be found by acquiring as many possessions and luxuries as we can! But this is to make possessions into a false god. Instead of bringing life, they bring death."

"Economic life should properly be seen as an exercise of human responsibility, intrinsically oriented towards the promotion of the dignity of the person, the pursuit of the common good."

"It is deplorable that homosexual persons have been and are the object of violent malice in speech or in action. Such treatment deserves condemnation from the Church's pastors wherever it occurs."

"But [agnostics] also challenge the followers of religions not to consider God as their own property, as if he belonged to them, in such a way that they feel vindicated in using force against others. These people are seeking the truth, they are seeking the true God, whose image is frequently concealed in the religions because of the ways in which they are often practised."

“It is theologically and anthropologically important for woman to be at the center of Christianity. Through Mary, and the other holy women, the feminine element stands at the heart of the Christian religion.”

"We must recognize our grave duty to hand the earth on to future generations in such a condition that they too can worthily inhabit it and continue to cultivate it."

"The right of religious freedom extends beyond the question of worship and includes the right - especially of minorities - to fair access to the employment market and other spheres of civic life."

“If in my life I fail completely to heed others, solely out of a desire to be 'devout' and to perform my 'religious duties', then my relationship with God will also grow arid. It becomes merely 'proper', but loveless.”

“I always knew the questions in advance. They concerned the ordination of women, contraception, abortion and other such constantly recurring problems. If we let ourselves be drawn into these discussions, the Church is then identified with certain commandments or prohibitions; we give the impression that we are moralists with a few somewhat antiquated convictions, and not even a hint of the true greatness of the faith appears. I therefore consider it essential always to highlight the greatness of our faith – a commitment from which we must not allow such situations to divert us.”

Compare those views to the other pope's rather more conservative views:

"Every unborn child, though unjustly condemned to be aborted, has the face of the Lord."

"The reservation of the priesthood to males, as a sign of Christ the Spouse who gives himself in the Eucharist, is not a question open to discussion."

On homosexual marriage: "At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother and children. At stake are the lives of many children who will be discriminated against in advance, and deprived of their human development given by a father and a mother and willed by God. At stake is the total rejection of God’s law engraved in our hearts.”

"When we do not profess Jesus Christ, we profess the worldliness of the devil, a demonic worldliness."

Quite a difference, huh.

Actually, the quotes in blue are from Pope Benedict. The quotes in Moderator cut: orange are from Pope Francis.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-12-2014 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Red is reseerved for Moderator actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality