Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

I do not believe in a god as referenced in the bible but I believe that I am my own god and in control of my own destiny. I do not believe in a "higher entity" that has control of what happens to whom. I find that kind of ridiculous to be honest.

I have a co-worker who is an avid model bus collector. This past wknd he attended a convention and came across an old model bus that he had been trying to aquire for his collection. The seller told him that he could not accept credit cards so my co-worker passed on the sale. About 15 minutes later the seller approached and notified my co-worker that if he was still interested he can take the credit card as a form of payment. My religious co-workers theory? God interveined and made it possible for him to buy the bus! My response? "Do you not think it has anything to do with the guy just wanting to make a sale and was trying to get cash out of you instead in order to avoid credit card processing fees?" His response? "No because "god" has his hand in everything that happens".

Every single person in my dept with whom I sit in close proximity to are deeply religous and credit every single good or bad thing that happens to god. Sometimes I feel as if I'm in an episode of the twilight zone and I'm surrounded by a bunch of delusional people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
It is enlightening to examine the actions and interactions of memes. But the lesson of evolution, memetic or otherwise, is that the "Keep on trucking" meme will always win out in the long run. And it can take some rather odd forms.
amen to that ... keep on, keeping on.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
It is by definition that an Atheist does not believe in God. You cannot hate what you do not believe in, simple as that.

I do not believe in a God. I do not "secretly" worship anything as you guys would love to conclude I'm sure. I also do not claim that a God does NOT exist.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I do not believe in a god as referenced in the bible but I believe that I am my own god and in control of my own destiny. I do not believe in a "higher entity" that has control of what happens to whom. I find that kind of ridiculous to be honest.

I have a co-worker who is an avid model bus collector. This past wknd he attended a convention and came across an old model bus that he had been trying to aquire for his collection. The seller told him that he could not accept credit cards so my co-worker passed on the sale. About 15 minutes later the seller approached and notified my co-worker that if he was still interested he can take the credit card as a form of payment. My religious co-workers theory? God interveined and made it possible for him to buy the bus! My response? "Do you not think it has anything to do with the guy just wanting to make a sale and was trying to get cash out of you instead in order to avoid credit card processing fees?" His response? "No because "god" has his hand in everything that happens".

Every single person in my dept with whom I sit in close proximity to are deeply religous and credit every single good or bad thing that happens to god. Sometimes I feel as if I'm in an episode of the twilight zone and I'm surrounded by a bunch of delusional people.
It's awesome that God is so concerned with such important matters as whether or not your co-worker is able to purchase a model bus for his collection, yet can not be bothered with starving children, terminally ill children, etc.

Yes, people really do have to be delusional to swallow this crap.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I don't see how there are no such thing as atheists. I don't act as if or believe there is any supernatural agency. I don't have any implicit beliefs there is a god nor any explicit beliefs there is either. An atheist is someone that holds no belief in any god and no matter how much anyone would like to believe to the contrary, atheists do in fact exist.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 10-17-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Atheists cannot have an opinion of God any more valid than anyone else's opinion without reverting to a logic that depends on the existence of God.

If the molecules have formed in the brain just because, just because the way they did, and this makes up what you believe, then an Atheist only has an opinion because the molecules happened to form in the way that they did that makes him believe as he believes.

It is self defeating.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
All people worship something, atheists included.
WRONG!

Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Atheists cannot have an opinion of God any more valid than anyone else's opinion without reverting to a logic that depends on the existence of God.

If the molecules have formed in the brain just because, just because the way they did, and this makes up what you believe, then an Atheist only has an opinion because the molecules happened to form in the way that they did that makes him believe as he believes.

It is self defeating.
LOL

Clear demonstration of lack of knowledge on the brain, molecules, oh and Atheists!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:

It is self defeating.
Wow.

God actually does exist ... as a concept. Just because we atheists don't believe there is an actual supernatural God does not mean that God isn't real in the philosophical sense.

That means, of course, that you are correct - we must use logic that depends on the existence of God. Without God's existence, we wouldn't even be talking about this because there would be no beliefs, no religion, no Bible, and no dogma. However, as a concept, all gods exist, from the FSM to Yahweh. Therefore, there is nothing contradictory or paradoxical about an atheist arguing from a position that God exists. He does, and while God is only a human construct, its effect on society and culture is profound. To pretend like no such thing exists would indeed be denying reality.

Yet, do not think for one nanosecond that this means atheists are endorsing the existence of a real entity.

Quote:
If atheist opinions are formed because of random molecules, it means that Christian opinions are also formed from random molecues - but in a different arrangement. No? Unless you can show me the physical differences between an atheist brain and a Christian brain that would allow opinions to be formed differently.

Which, ultimately, means you really haven't said anything. It's a bit like saying, "Well this dog barks and that dog barks, and because they both bark, they must both be dogs."

Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Interesting article about atheism (by an atheist) as a faith-based system in the Atlantic magazine today: Irrational Atheism - The Atlantic
Quote:
But the atheist too, is deciding to believe in conditions of irremediable uncertainty, not merely following out a proof.
No. Completely false. An atheist sees no justification for belief in a theist's speculative notions. Therefore an atheist does not accord his belief to those notions.

Now it happens that many atheists think other things more likely than theistic notions are, to varying degrees, and may give varying levels of credence to those notions. But that is not a conversation about atheism, which is only about whether or not one believes at all in any god(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality