Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Our church is open to anyone and everyone. Even Atheist. We have played a variety of music but not hum drum hymns that put you to sleep. The discussions are real life without a cram of bible verses. Weve talked about sex, money, being a real man, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That was my thought. Atheists don't usually don't go to church.
What!!! I know a lot of Atheists that go to a lot of churches. Their wives/husbands make them go every Sunday. lol

Old 10-15-2014, 04:22 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Our church is open to anyone and everyone. Even Atheist. We have played a variety of music but not hum drum hymns that put you to sleep. The discussions are real life without a cram of bible verses. Weve talked about sex, money, being a real man, etc.
So what makes it a 'church' rather than just a social group?
What's the 'glue'? The basic format? That it's usually held on Sunday morning? What?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:42 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
If the idea of any denomination is to "spread the good news" and lead everyone to Jesus Christ, wouldn't it be a no-brainer that churches would open their doors to atheists? I mean, it's not like there is an atheist-detector at every church entrance that sounds a klaxon if a non-believer passes through it.

As an atheist, I know I've been dragged to church before by a paramour or a family member. It's almost unavoidable unless you live in a non-believing household. Most atheists would go to church for their own sake, but plenty of atheists actually have to attend church to keep marital or household bliss intact. The worst is when the in-laws go to church and expect their son/daughter and his/her spouse to be there as well.

At any rate, a church welcoming atheists without plans to convert them would certainly be a sight to see. However, some churches will undoubtedly use the fellowship, the social events, and "yippy-yahoo" happiness as massive lures to the faith. Sometimes the best way to convert is to do nothing directly and simply show off your goods.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ok, I have not seen this discussed here, but maybe it has been in the past> I ran into an old acquaintance a few weeks ago. We used to get together with her and her hubby about every 2 or 3 months for dinner and wine, even though we really have nothing in common except we were both relatively new to the community. As our paths went different ways we stopped seeing each other. It has probably been about a year. We filled each other in on what we have been doing and what was new in our lives. She informed me, she and her hubby had found the perfect church. He is even the pianist for them. The thing they like about the religion as she put it: they welcome everyone, Christians and Atheists. How can a church be a church if 1/2 the members are Christian and 1/2 are not. I even wonder what kind of music they play? In my book, this isn't a religion or church, but a gathering place for people to get together and discuss things. I have no problem with that, I do have a problem with it being called a church.
A church SHOULD welcome any and all to come in to the worship service. You seem to suggest that atheists are welcomed as members, though, right? If a church claims to be church, their main goal should be to glorify God through worship, evangelism, and preaching the Word of God. If, by definition, some of their membership doesn't actually believe in God....I don't know how they could be called a church.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Sounds like an interesting place.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:24 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
From my experience, for example, with the Quaker religion..... more of them than not appear to be entirely atheist. In fact politicians who do not want to be seen as atheist but who know that having a religion is important in American Political Society, tend to go Quaker. John Hickenlooper springs to mind, who when I met him and talked to him had absolutely no metaphysical or supernatural beliefs at all. But he called himself "Quaker".

So if one WAS looking for a theist/atheist equal opportunity church, that would be one of my first ports of call I think.
Richard Nixon was Quaker too.

IIRC there is actually a branch of the Quaker faith that is explicitly atheist.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:36 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
If the idea of any denomination is to "spread the good news" and lead everyone to Jesus Christ, wouldn't it be a no-brainer that churches would open their doors to atheists? I mean, it's not like there is an atheist-detector at every church entrance that sounds a klaxon if a non-believer passes through it.
Any church will admit a potential mark. It is not a question of atheists being excluded from attending, but from membership. Membership generally comes with rights and responsibilities, often including voting rights. If you have certain beliefs and dogmas, then freedom of association allows the group to decide who will support or undermine those beliefs and dogmas.

In practice, membership is a rite of passage that says, in so many words, that you've bought the belief-system and are swearing fealty to it. It is the next logical step after conversion (public profession of faith); it is basically a "profession of commitment". So for a church to admit any random person as a member without requiring them to subscribe to a "confession" or "catechism" or "statement of belief" would make it tantamount to a social club. And even social clubs have requirements, typically to pay dues and follow certain rules of conduct.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
A church SHOULD welcome any and all to come in to the worship service. You seem to suggest that atheists are welcomed as members, though, right? If a church claims to be church, their main goal should be to glorify God through worship, evangelism, and preaching the Word of God. If, by definition, some of their membership doesn't actually believe in God....I don't know how they could be called a church.
Not every church has an official "membership." If you're there, you're part of the congregation. If not, you're not. Obviously there are the regulars, the once-in-awhile crowd, and special occasion folks. But in churches I've been to, there is no membership.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Richard Nixon was Quaker too.

IIRC there is actually a branch of the Quaker faith that is explicitly atheist.
I don't think you could say a branch, but there are explicitly atheist Quakers in Liberal branches, of which you would name Friends General Conference and the various Beanite organizations on the West Coast. Nixon belonged to an Evangelical Friends Church. There is a website devoted to non-theist Friends that has some good information. NontheistFriends.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality