Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Your bigotry aside
Bigotry you just invented and assigned to me from nowhere.

Quote:
, why do you think religious people would have a problem with the discovery of life outside earth? It would just mean that God created other life, which would be neat.
I never said they would have a problem with it. I actually said the EXACT opposite. I said their narrative would retreat and evolve to adapt to the new information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
We have no evidence of life outside earth at this time. We just have probabilities to work with.

However saying that..... how would the religious act? They will do the same as they always do.... retreat into the gaps.

Because that has been how religions have always acted. They exist in the areas of human ignorance.... and they retreat when human knowledge advances.

Once epilepsy was demonic possession. Now we know it's routes and causes and the role of this wholly imagined god receded somewhat.

Earthquakes and visitations by meteors on our planets surface.... were once acts of gods or God and those gods have since retreated behind our wall of knowledge of how things actually happen or work.

So why can we assume the discovery of life.... any life.... unicellular, multicellular, or intelligent.... will be any different? The religious will simply do what the religious ALWAYS do. They will pack up their narrative.... retreat to the next "god of the gaps" point, and set up camp once again. Labelling all who do not agree with them "atheist" and throwing down all kinds of accusations of immorality to ignorance on those who do not agree.

Wash, rinse, and repeat.
I assume you know about people existing in areas of human ignorance then. Because apparently, the only "religion" you know about is fundamentalist Christianity.

Fact: There are religious people in every field, including in hard science.
Fact: Many of the Christian denominations are very much not fundamentalist, and have no problem with evolution or any other idea, provided it doesn't completely dehumanize life on this Earth.
Fact: There are other religious viewpoints than extreme superstitious fundamentalism. There is Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, all of which may react in different ways to events. To lump categorize "religion" as typically in favor or opposed to something is extremely bigoted.
Fact: The field of medicine used to be linked with religion. This worked both way, not simply superstitious medicine, but it also meant that missionaries brought with them better medicine when they visited countries.
Fact: Religions didn't invent the word atheist. It's a self described title, for those who don't want to believe in a god/gods. People who publicly criticize a religion may be labeled as heretics. That's usually the end of it, they're heretics and they're shunned. Immorality is a specific sin, acting in a perverse way, not simply believing a certain way.
Fact: I have no beef with life on other planets, and I'm a member of a religion.
Conclusion: Nonsense.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I assume you know about people existing in areas of human ignorance then. Because apparently, the only "religion" you know about is fundamentalist Christianity.
Huh? I have studied religion for some time. No idea where you just pulled the above nonsense from at all.

Quote:
Fact: There are religious people in every field, including in hard science.
NOTHING I said disagrees with that. Perhaps you need to read my post again? in fact your whole list of "facts" actually have nothing to do with the post you are replying to. Are you just playing a record now or what?

Quote:
Fact: The field of medicine used to be linked with religion.
Yeah. As I just said. Epilepsy used to be blamed on demonic possession. All I did was ask people to consider what direction THAT conversation took. The fact is it took a ONE WAY direction. ALL the medical issues that used to have a religious explanation are now explained by modern science and medicine. NO medical condition has since reverted from rational explanation to religious.

You are making my points for me.... while all the while operating under some linguistic assumption that you are rebutting what I say.

Keep it up. I could not do better myself if you gave me your password and had me write your posts FOR you.

Quote:
Fact: Religions didn't invent the word atheist.
I never once claimed otherwise. Do keep up.

What I did say is that in MODERN usages of the word I have no use for it. But when I explain my world view and how it works..... the implications of which means I have no belief in a god..... OTHER people HERE and NOW in todays world insist on calling me atheist.

It is not a "self described title". It is one that I do not use, but it is assigned to me by people of faith.

Quote:
Conclusion: Nonsense.
So nice of you to summarize your entire post so succinctly.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:18 AM

720 posts, read 705,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
With there being clear signs of water existing elsewhere, it is likely only a matter of time before biological life of some sort is found.

An interesting article in the Mormon newspaper, Deseret News.

For atheist, it is not an issue at all. As the article suggests, nor would it be an issue for Buddhists. However, how would Southern Baptists react? How would they and other fundamentalists try and square the circle that their god created life only here on earth?

Discuss.
I'm not a fundamentalist or a Baptist but I am Christian. I do see were some religious groups may have a real problem with this, such as Muslims, which I see you failed to list.... Personally I have no problem with life elsewhere, in fact I think it's very possible.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Bigotry you just invented and assigned to me from nowhere.

I never said they would have a problem with it. I actually said the EXACT opposite. I said their narrative would retreat and evolve to adapt to the new information.
It's bigotry on your part because you assigned common motivations to a wide group of people (the majority of people, actually) based on your prejudices and preconceptions about the way they supposedly think. ("The religious will simply do what the religious ALWAYS do.")

I'm still waiting to hear from Cupper3 why he thinks Genesis, even if read as a literalist, denies the possibiity of life outside of earth, and from you as to why you think the religious would have to "evolve and adapt" their doctrine if ET life is found, any more than they would have to do so if a new species was found on earth (which happens frequently).

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but Christians already believe that forms of created intelligence exist outside of earth - angels and demons. Why would additional intelligences on another planet disrupt orthodox theology? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 AM
M_M

62 posts, read 112,580 times
I think each life-bearing planet gets their own localized copy of the bible with a personalized account of creation. I think this was to save time, otherwise who knows how long it would have been? You'd have to read about life on other planets which you've never even seen and that would be boring.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
With there being clear signs of water existing elsewhere, it is likely only a matter of time before biological life of some sort is found.

An interesting article in the Mormon newspaper, Deseret News.

For atheist, it is not an issue at all. As the article suggests, nor would it be an issue for Buddhists. However, how would Southern Baptists react? How would they and other fundamentalists try and square the circle that their god created life only here on earth?

Discuss.
Who says that Christians are opposed to the notion? I swear, I'm just amazed what people such as you think sometimes.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
I'm not a fundamentalist or a Baptist but I am Christian. I do see were some religious groups may have a real problem with this, such as Muslims, which I see you failed to list.... Personally I have no problem with life elsewhere, in fact I think it's very possible.
Yes, of course Muslims are included in religious groups, along with the thousands of christian denominations.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:43 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Who says that Christians are opposed to the notion? I swear, I'm just amazed what people such as you think sometimes.
That would be great if we haven't heard from so many fundamentalists otherwise.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM

78,402 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Your bigotry aside, why do you think religious people would have a problem with the discovery of life outside earth? It would just mean that God created other life, which would be neat.
Most would have no issue but there are extremists so wed to a specific literal translation that they'd deny it's true.

If you doubt this, look at the evolution denialists and those claiming the earth is only 10,000 years old etc etc.

Oh, and they used to put people to death for suggesting things about orbits, suns and other planets that wasn't in line with church doctrine.

Again, it's a relatively small group that can't bring themselves to admit that their interpretations may not be completely infallible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality