Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,590,761 times

Advertisements

I'm a Christian who is also an Agnostic! That my seem like a dichotomy of philosophies but that is how I view my moral standing. I was raised as a Roman Catholic but now disavow any beliefs of the Catholic Church or any other Christian denomination.

When I'm asked my religious preference, I respond "Christian/Agnostic"! The looks I get are like the price of gas just hit $5.00 a gallon! When I complete any kind of paperwork that requests religious preference, I always notate "Christian/Agnostic". When advised that I must pick one preference over the other, I respond that both preferences apply to me; that does create heated discussions in certain instances!

So, How do I resolve this paradox of faith and morality within myself? Your input is highly appreciated! Thanks! Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,200,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I'm a Christian who is also an Agnostic! That my seem like a dichotomy of philosophies but that is how I view my moral standing. I was raised as a Roman Catholic but now disavow any beliefs of the Catholic Church or any other Christian denomination.

When I'm asked my religious preference, I respond "Christian/Agnostic"! The looks I get are like the price of gas just hit $5.00 a gallon! When I complete any kind of paperwork that requests religious preference, I always notate "Christian/Agnostic". When advised that I must pick one preference over the other, I respond that both preferences apply to me; that does create heated discussions in certain instances!

So, How do I resolve this paradox of faith and morality within myself? Your input is highly appreciated! Thanks! Steve
Total nonsense. You can't be a Christian and an agnostic and you can't be an agnostic and a Christian.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,405,060 times
Quote:
I'm a Christian who is also an Agnostic!
OMG oddess....I can't believe you got me on this thread Steve.......creeping into the hallowed ruined temple.......but I had to read what you meant by this. I get it. I'd be a convert but I still can't get myself to call myself that "cccccc...cC" word--geez it's making me stutter. I was brought up Methodist and had family that actually "got" it - lived it. I belonged to a Jesus Freak group in the 70s, and for a very short time after leaving the cult, was baptist. Where I got burnt on the whole thing. My basic beliefs are strongly influenced by my parents, uncles, and grandparents loving example-the golden rule--I have never met other christians who were as unjudgemental or as loving as my family. I value what I was taught but I am now agnostic and even at times, atheist. Especially after college and reading history. Gotta leave quick...in this ruins long enough. Where's the incense?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Total nonsense. You can't be a Christian and an agnostic and you can't be an agnostic and a Christian.
Oh couturier, but I am a Christian and an Agnostic! I've had this philosophy for several years; with all due respect, I just didn't create it today!

I was raised a Roman Catholic in a strict religious household. MY mother was the religious taskmaster; my father always followed my mother's lead; it was a matriarchal household. I frequently received severe (read that physical) discipline in the name of the Catholic Religion. Like the "Jesus Freaks" that I despise!

About 10 years ago, I stared questioning the tenets of the Catholic Church, then I started to debunk the Bible; the Holy Of Holies of Christianity! After a few years, I realized that I had been a follower of sheep.

I still ascribe to the teaching of Christianity, but only from a historical perspective. There "may" have been a man named Jesus Christ that was on earth about 2000 years ago, but not as a holistic person, but as a super prophet. Sort of like Mohammad being the Prophet of Allah.

More people have been slain in the name of religion that all the civil wars in recorded history! Look at the Islamic religion; conversion of the infidels (non-Muslims) by the sword! Is that what you want for the future of the world; death by religion?

BTW; Christ was born in 6 BCE as King Herod died in 4 BCE. And the supposed wise men; they arrived at the birthplace of Jesus in 2 BCE.

Scientific empirical facts trumps "faith based" beliefs any day of the week!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
OMG oddess....I can't believe you got me on this thread Steve.......creeping into the hallowed ruined temple.......but I had to read what you meant by this. I get it. I'd be a convert but I still can't get myself to call myself that "cccccc...cC" word--geez it's making me stutter. I was brought up Methodist and had family that actually "got" it - lived it. I belonged to a Jesus Freak group in the 70s, and for a very short time after leaving the cult, was baptist. Where I got burnt on the whole thing. My basic beliefs are strongly influenced by my parents, uncles, and grandparents loving example-the golden rule--I have never met other christians who were as unjudgemental or as loving as my family. I value what I was taught but I am now agnostic and even at times, atheist. Especially after college and reading history. Gotta leave quick...in this ruins long enough. Where's the incense?
The Druids are currently in charge of the incense! They need it for the human sacrifice at sunup in the morning! I would have loved to have been a Druid; I'm Druid material! The Druids wore the original hoodies and were an advanced civilization thousands of years before the appearance of the Egyptians. It is unfortunate that there are no records of their civilization; modern humankind could have learned a universe of scientific and historic information from the Druids.

The "C" word? Easy say it with me: C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n! Christian, meaning Christ like. BTW, I took 9 credits of theology in college; we're talking 35 years ago; I think that's what put he seed of disbelief and rejection in my head.

Yea, I sometimes flip-flop between Agnostic and Atheist; makes for an interesting day!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,837,347 times
Quote:

BTW, I took 9 credits of theology in college; we're talking 35 years ago;

Yea, I sometimes flip-flop between Agnostic and Atheist; makes for an interesting day!
Well I would suggest then that you know that you are not a Christian agnostic then and you are actually just practicing a little provocation! Perhaps a "religious" agnostic might describe you better.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The Druids are currently in charge of the incense! They need it for the human sacrifice at sunup in the morning! I would have loved to have been a Druid; I'm Druid material! The Druids wore the original hoodies and were an advanced civilization thousands of years before the appearance of the Egyptians. It is unfortunate that there are no records of their civilization; modern humankind could have learned a universe of scientific and historic information from the Druids.

The "C" word? Easy say it with me: C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n! Christian, meaning Christ like. BTW, I took 9 credits of theology in college; we're talking 35 years ago; I think that's what put he seed of disbelief and rejection in my head.

too bad..packed the incense already....

LOL no no no you can't make me

Yes, at times I talk to someone and wonder who it is I'm talking to --decided it is the universe--now I call it Oneness. Best I can do - I'm a Oneian. hmmmm...awful like an onion. If I have to call myself something, it would be a Unitarian Universalist but so far not much for joining groups or churches anymore--people start thinking you're part of us now....hehehe...we can tell you what to do. although I would be shocked if a UU did that.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well I would suggest then that you know that you are not a Christian agnostic then and you are actually just practicing a little provocation! Perhaps a "religious" agnostic might describe you better.
Sorry, I don't practice provocation; I'm simply stating the tenets of my religious philosophy. I have the same problem with religious type persons (clerics, preachers, etc); they also think that I'm practicing provocation. IMO, you and they are in denial of my beliefs, with all due respect.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
too bad..packed the incense already....

LOL no no no you can't make me

Yes, at times I talk to someone and wonder who it is I'm talking to --decided it is the universe--now I call it Oneness. Best I can do - I'm a Oneian. hmmmm...awful like an onion. If I have to call myself something, it would be a Unitarian Universalist but so far not much for joining groups or churches anymore--people start thinking you're part of us now....hehehe...we can tell you what to do. although I would be shocked if a UU did that.
I consider myself to be a "modified" Humanist or Freethinker. I like to listen to the Freethinker's Network streaming audio. So what's a Unitarian Universalist doing in this Christian world?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I consider myself to be a "modified" Humanist or Freethinker. I like to listen to the Freethinker's Network streaming audio. So what's a Unitarian Universalist doing in this Christian world?
There are Unitarian Universalist who believe in god. The great thing is you can believe whatever you want to believe. But me, I'm here because I wanted to know what is a Christian Agnostic but if you meant the BIG world, I think it was an accident--what was I thinking? I'm probably some version of Buddhist but I never finish reading what that means so I'm not sure. Just don't care enough about the labels. Maybe a Golden Rulists except what happens if someone likes being treated like crap? Think I'll stick with reading history and doing art. I learned in college though you can't read history without reading about religion. oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality