Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,333,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Cleatis: Please start using the spell check for your postings; it's that ABC with the check mark underneath at the top right corner of this window! That would be appreciated by myself and other forum members. Thank you for your attention to this matter!
i know where the spell check is. why bother using it in an internet message board where the posts are going to into the black hole of page 99?

but i take it there was nothing you had to say about the post i made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,593,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
i know where the spell check is. why bother using it in an internet message board where the posts are going to into the black hole of page 99?

but i take it there was nothing you had to say about the post i made?
You don't care about the correctness or presentation of your post; so I don't care much for reading it!

Quote:
why bother using it in an internet message board
This is not an "internet message board", this is a forum where thoughts, ideas and experiences are posted for the common education of all the forum members. It is important that the postings be presented in a correct and readable format. An internet message board is what the fraternities at you local college use to post the details of the next kegger!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,333,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
You don't care about the correctness or presentation of your post; so I don't care much for reading it!

This is not an "internet message board", this is a forum where thoughts, ideas and experiences are posted for the common education of all the forum members. It is important that the postings be presented in a correct and readable format. An internet message board is what the fraternities at you local college use to post the details of the next kegger!
i must apologize, the tone in my last post may have seemed a little flaming, if it did, that was not my intent.

but, the fact that you reply, indicates to me that you are reading my posts

as far as the technicalities between forum and message board. the idea was that in a week or two, this whole thread will most likely be so far back in the pages that no one will be reading it anyhow. unless of course someone says something that starts a heated debate...

just my opinion. none of the threads stick around very long and like i say it's not like this is getting published, so why put forth the extra effort?

people still read what i say, i know this because someone is always replying to what i post and if no one reads what i post, then it's nothing to me i'm just here to burn time.

besides, is anyone here going to remember any of this 50 years from now? even a year or two from now? we'll both go to sleep in our homes tonight and live our lives just the same tomorrow. that's all i'm saying.

But, i suppose, if it offends someone that much, I could make an honest effort to change my poor grammar ways
Just for future reference, what exactly irks you so so that I can make the effort worthwhile? Since we're on the subject however; ending every sentence with an exclamation point isn't exactly proper English either.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
i must apologize, the tone in my last post may have seemed a little flaming, if it did, that was not my intent.

but, the fact that you reply, indicates to me that you are reading my posts

as far as the technicalities between forum and message board. the idea was that in a week or two, this whole thread will most likely be so far back in the pages that no one will be reading it anyhow. unless of course someone says something that starts a heated debate...

just my opinion. none of the threads stick around very long and like i say it's not like this is getting published, so why put forth the extra effort?

people still read what i say, i know this because someone is always replying to what i post and if no one reads what i post, then it's nothing to me i'm just here to burn time.

besides, is anyone here going to remember any of this 50 years from now? even a year or two from now? we'll both go to sleep in our homes tonight and live our lives just the same tomorrow. that's all i'm saying.

But, i suppose, if it offends someone that much, I could make an honest effort to change my poor grammar ways
Just for future reference, what exactly irks you so so that I can make the effort worthwhile? Since we're on the subject however; ending every sentence with an exclamation point isn't exactly proper English either.
Cleatis: I'm sorry that I came off rough in my previous posting; it was not intentional. I have this thing about me that if a person is going to spend time performing a task, whatever that may, it's worth performing to the best of that person's ability. Your post stood out like a "sore thumb" from the quality posts that I'm use to reading on this and other forums. I was on a forum that your particular post would generate a "notice" from the moderator.

It's not that I was offended, but it cast you in a poor light that I know that you don't deserve. And you are absolutely correct. I over use the exclamation point "!" and the semi-colon ";", not good for a person that has a Degree in Business and Communications. Thank you for pointing that out to me, it's appreciated. (No semi-colons or exclamation points).

So let's try a post from you again, OK?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 79,171 times
Whoooaaaa...now this is a touchy subject, isn't it. For the moment I'm going to go against my rule of discussing religion.

I was raised with traditional Christian values, though we weren't strict. Per my bad experience as a teenager (which I recently posted the story in a more recent board if you want to look it up), I separated myself from the church. If you would have asked me a year or so ago what my religion was, I would say "Non-denominational Christian." But within the past year I have been referring to myself as Agnostic. I believe there is a higher being, but I don't believe that any religion can prove to me which one it is -- if it's any of them. I believe Jesus Christ did exist, but is he really who we claim he is?

So Steve, I can really relate to your statement of being Christian/Agnostic. Though I never thought it up the way you have, it's an interesting classification. Now I don't feel so bad about my "beliefs." Now do I force my my ideas on my 6-year-old son? Absolutely not. His father takes him to church on his weekends, and I support that because I choose not to force religion on him. He'll find what makes him happy eventually in life. I've already come to my own conclusions, but I don't think this is the place to share them

Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Default amc32682

Quote:
I was raised with traditional Christian values, though we weren't strict. Per my bad experience as a teenager (which I recently posted the story in a more recent board if you want to look it up), I separated myself from the church. If you would have asked me a year or so ago what my religion was, I would say "Non-denominational Christian." But within the past year I have been referring to myself as Agnostic. I believe there is a higher being, but I don't believe that any religion can prove to me which one it is -- if it's any of them. I believe Jesus Christ did exist, but is he really who we claim he is?
We appear to be on the same page. My upbringing was with traditional Catholic values in a matriarchal household. My father was there to basically pay the bills. He never opposed my mother on religious training. I've been referring to myself as a "Christian/Agnostic" which has raised more than a few hackles. A recent forum post suggested that I might be closer to a "Deist" which you may want to check out to see if you fall into that theist classification. I know, I hate classifications, but this is for statistical purposes only.

You are certainly taking the proper course of action with your 6 year old son. You and I had religion forced upon us, like it or not, not the way to create "true believers" or whatever your semantics are in this matter.

My beliefs very closely parallel your beliefs. What really ruffles the feathers of the "believers" is my tenet that Jesus Christ indeed exist, he lived from 6 BCE to 27 CE (Before the Common Era and Common Era) and that he was a super prophet and founder of the Christian religion. The faith based believers (rooted in the Bible which I view as a book of revelations and not a history book) add the Divine qualities to God, Jesus and the Trinity which I fully respect but reject on empirical scientific grounds. That really causes a problem.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 AM

364 posts, read 767,013 times
umm can you explan? a christian is somone who knowledge certain God and haves a relating ship and Agnostic means somone who thinks there is a god but not sure who or nor they have personal relating ship with a god

Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM

7,398 posts, read 19,370,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc32682 View Post
Whoooaaaa...now this is a touchy subject, isn't it. For the moment I'm going to go against my rule of discussing religion.

So Steve, I can really relate to your statement of being Christian/Agnostic. Though I never thought it up the way you have, it's an interesting classification. Now I don't feel so bad about my "beliefs." Now do I force my my ideas on my 6-year-old son? Absolutely not. His father takes him to church on his weekends, and I support that because I choose not to force religion on him. He'll find what makes him happy eventually in life. I've already come to my own conclusions, but I don't think this is the place to share them
Thank-you for not forcing religion on your child.
He'll choose what and how he wants to believe.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM

14,969 posts, read 9,878,619 times
Default Coat tail Christian's

Steve;

I consider myself a devout Christian... and accept the teachings of Jesus and how those teachings provide for my salvation. There is no judgement or condemnation in your belief logic, and it is not the place of any Christian or teaching of Jesus Christ to suggest you are condemned by what you believe... but I would remind you, that beliefs or philosophies are a journey, not a destination. What you believe today will be different tomorrow, you may feel sheltered by your intellect, but that will change when you are on your death bed. Life does not exist on a plane as in left or right, up or down.... but rather it is a circle. As we travel, we observe the same God, the same world, but from different vantage points. The view changes, but the subject.... is the same. How we process this "view" well determine what we believe. We all "see" the same thing, but not all of us have the same amount of faith.

"Coat tail Christian's' believe in the values or better yet employ Legacey of Jesus. They may in fact embrace Jesus's teachings, but do not accept the "deity" of Christ. (Christ simply means the; "annointed one"). Our faith is like a muscle... use it or lose it.

I'm sure your journey is still in progress... do not stop and think "is that all there is"? keep seeking! never become "lukewarm"!

Read Rev 3:14-22

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
umm can you explan? a christian is somone who knowledge certain God and haves a relating ship and Agnostic means somone who thinks there is a god but not sure who or nor they have personal relating ship with a god
A Christian is a person that believes that Jesus Christ is the Savior of humankind and was sent to the Earth by God (The Trinity: God, the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Ghost (Spirit), one God, three distinct Entities) to save humankind from the destructive forces of sin and to make way for the Second coming of Christ which will lead all faithful followers to to Joys of Heaven. One can not be "saved" from the fires of Hell unless that person accepts Jesus Christ as his personal Savior and is washed in the blood of the Lamb (Lamb of God>Jesus Christ). The "Handbook" of the Christian Religion is the Bible.

An Agnostic/Deist acknowledges the existence of a Supreme Being (Universal Force) but disavows the existence of Christ as Divine Being that was sent to Earth to lead humankind to eternal salvation. Christ is viewed as an historical figure, not as the Son of God and the Second Person of the Trinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality