Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times

Advertisements

I always get amused by religious folks asking for prayers when someone is ill with a serious disease.

Why?

Why do you think that who ever you think is holy will intervene, when that same entity caused the disease in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I always get amused by religious folks asking for prayers when someone is ill with a serious disease.

Why?

Why do you think that who ever you think is holy will intervene, when that same entity caused the disease in the first place?

You don't understand.
If the person gets better, then god answered the prayers.
If they don't, then he had some other plan in mind.
You must have missed it...it's right there on the disclaimer page of the Bible.
God gets credit for the good things but never the blame for the bad things.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
it is to ask for God to watch over the individual and to do what is best for the individual. If healing is the answer, we want God to know we depend on his care, if the answer is not healing, God will be there for the family and the family knowing God is there and people are praying will help them understand that it is up to God.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
[quote=nmnita;37228436]it is to ask for God to watch over the individual and to do what is best for the individual. If healing is the answer, we want God to know we depend on his care, if the answer is not healing, God will be there for the family and the family knowing God is there and people are praying will help them understand that it is up to God.[/quote]

......like I said............

Old 11-11-2014, 11:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it is to ask for God to watch over the individual and to do what is best for the individual. If healing is the answer, we want God to know we depend on his care, if the answer is not healing, God will be there for the family and the family knowing God is there and people are praying will help them understand that it is up to God.

In other words, it's a crap shoot either way.

My fundie ex was very upset at me when I was in the hospital and she brought her pastor in to pray for me. I asked him not to, as it would have been hypocritical of me to accept that. I put my faith in modern medicine, my nurses and my doctors. That was 10 years ago.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,876 times
I think praying for someone is more the persons own selfish gratification.

God listens to me, I have his cell number.

He will change his plan if I ask him to.

Wow, you must be really important.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So God does whatever he wants. Regardless of your prayers?

I always get a kick out of this because when Doctors (via the work of research) take action to detour an inevitable outcome, it's God who gets the credit.

For instance, in March of 1942, 33 year old Anne Miller lay dying of strep throat like so many of the millions and maybe billions who went before her. My uncle whom I never knew, died of strep 6 years prior at the age of 4.

Anne Miller was saved by receiving the first dose of penicillin ever in the United States. Seems to me that God wanted Anne dead like all the others and these pesky scientists and doctors railroaded his plans.

Last edited by eddie gein; 11-11-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 12:32 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Let's not forget, too, that prayer requests are kind of like believing:

"Uh oh, Auntie Em is sick in the hospital and she might die. Quick, we gotta round everyone up and start praying - because God apparently has a 'prayer quota' for every sick individual, and if enough prayers aren't said by enough people, God will kill the patient. How many prayers does it take to cure Auntie Em? Well, we don't know. That's why it's so important to get as many people praying as possible. Without those prayers, God will stand indifferently aside - or perhaps take measures to kill the patient himself if the natural healing abilities God gave us starts to cure her without God's help. After all, who lives and dies is more like a popularity contest and God likes popular people. If you're alone in this world, heh, you're SOL."

Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You don't understand.
If the person gets better, then god answered the prayers.
If they don't, then he had some other plan in mind.
You must have missed it...it's right there on the disclaimer page of the Bible.
God gets credit for the good things but never the blame for the bad things.
Does a parent always say "yes" to a child's request? Sometimes "no" or "wait" is the best answer.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
It's a small boon to grant someone if it helps that someone feel better. It needn't be a prayer to a deity - just a hopeful, positive thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality