Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,834,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
I wonder how, and why you would even say such a thing.

There is not one stich of evidence of a creator from any of the over 3000 Gods.
A lot of educated, reasonable, well-adjusted people will disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
So much evidence .... that we keep asking for. Again.

And again.

And again.

And all we get in return is the Bible, some anecdotal "personal experiences" that could be anything, some people walking away from a bad car wreck or surviving cancer (God protected me!!!), Pascal's Wager, arguements from ignorance (and other assorted fallacies), and ultimately threats of being tormented in Hell

I also can't help but notice how YHWH/Jehovah/Jesus suddenly becomes a generic "creator" when this type of issue crops up. Of course we all know there's nothing generic about it.

Do you have any idea just how bad this world would get if evidence for a creator WAS found? You might want to think long and hard about that ... because I can guarantee you that everyone isn't going to turn, hug their neighbors, and sing hymns. It will be one of the blackest days in human history.

But that's not the reason why we atheists don't accept the flimsy and ambiguous (and often fallacious) evidence so far presented by believers. We refuse the flimsy and ambiguous (and often fallacious) evidence because ... well ... because it is flimsy and ambiguous (and often fallacious).
I don't need a Bible or personal experiences or a miraculous cure to believe in a creator. Logic will suffice.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,704,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Evidence you get, proof you don't.
Assertions and personal anecdotes aren't evidence nor proof. If a God exists he/she/it enjoys this childish game of hide-n-seek.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don't need a Bible or personal experiences or a miraculous cure to believe in a creator. Logic will suffice.
For once, present your logic and we'll evaluate it.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
And they will have the same difficulty as you at presenting it.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
For once, present your logic and we'll evaluate it.
For once? I've done it several times, and you responded, so I know you read it, including one recent thread.

Quote:
And they will have the same difficulty as you at presenting it.
Not difficult at all. The question for this thread though, is why do all these people believe, and continue to believe? Obviously, they have sufficient evidence.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
For once? I've done it several times, and you responded, so I know you read it, including one recent thread.

Not difficult at all. The question for this thread though, is why do all these people believe, and continue to believe? Obviously, they have sufficient evidence.
And Jim Jones followers had sufficient evidence for believing they should drink his Kool-Aid. So, just because they have sufficient evidence for them to believe doesn't lend any more credence to their beliefs.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
And Jim Jones followers had sufficient evidence for believing they should drink his Kool-Aid. So, just because they have sufficient evidence for them to believe doesn't lend any more credence to their beliefs.
Quote:
Why would an educated, reasonable, well-adjusted adult continue to believe something with no evidence? Answer: they won't.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:36 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,334,579 times
Quote:
Sorry, but no.

There is nothing logical about an absolutist belief in magic and the supernatural. I highly doubt that you or anyone else can use logic to show evidence for an illogical belief.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:47 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,334,579 times
Quote:
Why would an educated, reasonable, well-adjusted adult continue to believe something with no evidence? Answer: they won't.
Sure they will.

Think of it this way. You are convinced that you worship the One True God who heads the One True Religion, do you not? I mean, your beliefs and your religion are 110% correct and everyone else is wrong. Everyone else worships a false god under a false religion - or maintain the false assertion that no gods exist at all.

Yet, strangely enough, 2/3rds of the world's population is NOT Christian. If there is SO much evidence for the existence of your specific god and the correctness of your specific religion - why aren't people converting in droves?

I guess they are continuing to believe in their own religions - most likely because Muslims, Hindus, and every other deity-centric belief will point to the same "evidence" and the same "logic" to prove that their own gods exist, that their own religions are true. In other words, I'm certain that there is a Hindu in India right now telling someone all about the evidence and logic that proves the Truth of the Hindu religion - and Christianity is false.

Except ... how can that be if all the evidence and logic point directly to YHWH/Jehovah and Jesus?

Which means that either your supposed position regarding the veracity of your religion isn't nearly as strong as you claim it is ... OR ... 4 billion people are believing in different gods and different religions without any evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality