Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 PM

888 posts, read 454,498 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have seen the articles in recent years about the controversial Nativity Displays at a church in California. They have included Trayvon Martin and openly gay couples. Each year the artist interprets the Nativity in light of current events such as illegal immigration and incarceration and writes a thoughtful description about his interpretation of what a modern day Nativity might be like.

Pictures are up on their website of this year's display, which focuses on homelessness and poverty. The headline of the article in the December 25, 0001 issue of the Bethlehem Times newspaper in the rack next to the bus is called Homeless Woman Arrested For Giving Birth in Bus Shelter

Link to church's website with more pictures of the 2014 Nativity

Link to pictures of past displays

Link to a Huffington Post article about their 2013 Trayvon Martin Nativity Display.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
In a small Southern town there was a "Nativity Scene" that showed great skill and talent had gone into creating it. One small feature bothered me. The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets. Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left. At a "Quick Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You Yankees never do read the Bible!" I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in my face she said, "See, it says right here, 'The three wise man came from afar.'"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something on the not so serious side, Merry Christmas Happy Holidays

Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Merry Christmas Happy Holidays
The same to you, perry.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
In a small Southern town there was a "Nativity Scene" that showed great skill and talent had gone into creating it. One small feature bothered me. The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets. Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left. At a "Quick Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You Yankees never do read the Bible!" I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in my face she said, "See, it says right here, 'The three wise man came from afar.'"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something on the not so serious side, Merry Christmas Happy Holidays
And to you as well. Good joke!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I think the church that is sponsoring that display should pick three local homeless folk and pay to get them housed. Then pay to maintain them. And then I wish them luck. In their scenario the woman did not have the foresight to get on Medicaid (which would pay for the medical treatment to cover the pregnancy-available everywhere) nor did she have the foresight to get herself to a hospital. Social Services is quick to provide transportation and housing. At least in CA.

Working for social services as I do, homelessness is not just about being short on cash. Being short of cash is a factor for a minority, but for most it has to do with mental health issues. They lack the ability to manage money and pay their rent on time. Or to get their ducks in a row and find themselves pregnant and without a plan (Medicaid-getting themselves to a hospital and accepting housing in a shelter). Nor do they want to be in a shelter-too hard to deal with people and rules-like going to bed at a certain time and not yelling at people. That church should divert part of their funds and hire counselors and Public Guardians to take care of a number of mentally ill. With that said, now that homeless lady has a child she can quality for welfare and subsidized housing. Free medical care and all kinds of programs. If she does not who is to blame? Sorry, but I work for Social Services and am real big on people taking responsibility for their own lives.

My church does help those who need a boost, but we do not have the resources to fix those with mental health issues. Maybe that "inclusive" church does.

BTW that lady had a point about the wise guys coming from afar.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-20-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality