Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:35 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times

Advertisements

Good ol' jeffbase thinks he can "level the field" by posting his rant against atheists wanting to remove a religious symbol on public land ... and yet how does THAT compare to this:
A Michigan pediatrician declined to treat the infant daughter of a lesbian couple in yet another example of the growing tensions between advocates for LGBT rights and those who want greater religious expression protections.
Krista and Jami Contreras were eager to bring their 6-day-old infant for her first doctor visit after her birth in October. The doctor that they had carefully chosen knew they were lesbians and after the first prenatal visit, they were under the impression that everything was fine. But the morning they arrived for the appointment after baby Bay’s birth, another doctor in the practice greeted them instead.
“The first thing Dr. Karam said was, ‘I’ll be your doctor, I’ll be seeing you today because Dr. Roi decided this morning that she prayed on it and she won’t be able to care for Bay,’ ” Jami told WJBK. “Dr. Karam told us she didn’t even come to the office that morning because she didn’t want to see us.”
Click here to be disgusted

Now ... what kind of scumbag doctor would take her religious frustrations out on a BABY?!

Is it the baby's fault that she had lesbian parents?

It's a BABY!

And I bet she's anti-abortion, too, the hypocrite. Oh yeah, don't kill the baby in the womb, let it be born first so we can make her an example of what happens to babies of lesbian parents. Just hope you don't end up with an insensitive moron as your doctor.

Personally I think she should be fired for violating her hippocratic oath and failing to do her job. She prayed on it? Gimme a break. She didn't "pray" ... she just used that as excuse. No booming voice shouted from the sky and said, "Do not treat that baby!"

Does any Christian REALLY think that your loving God would EVER tell a doctor not to treat a baby just because the parents were lesbian?

I can't wait to hear the profound silence from our resident fundamentalists on THIS story.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:47 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Before this gets to be 90 pages long with incorrect information.. I believe it wasn't a baby needing any kind of treatment, it was a new patient well-baby check.
The doctor said she didn't feel she could relate well to the parents or establish a good doctor/patient (parent substitute, in this case) relationship.

She was wrong to have taken them first and then changed her mind. She brought attention t herself for having done so.
Personally, I think she's totally unprofessional and just this side of being an idiot but I guess they can be found everywhere.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 AM

Well, I know that the baby didn't have a specific treatment need, but you're probably going to need a pediatrician to make sure the baby is doing okay - for awhile anyway until the baby is old enough to see a regular doctor.

The bottom line for me was when it was said that the doctor "prayed" on the matter and then decided not to care for the baby. Does she need God to tell her if she can have a good relationship with the parents? And what's with the doctor not even coming in that day to avoid seeing the parents? The doctor didn't even have the balls to tell the couple to their faces - instead, she sent the other doctor to do it for her while she hid at home.

Something more is going on here than her not being able to relate well to the parents. Honestly, even if she was telling the absolute truth, would this couple be the first parents EVER that she had differences with? I highly doubt it ... so unless she dropped every couple that rubbed her the wrong way, her story isn't believable.

She essentially is claiming that her God told her, as an answer to her prayer, not to treat the baby. And then she hides under the bed that day because, as it looks to me, she didn't want ANY contact with a lesbian couple.

And the story says the doctor KNEW they were lesbian from the get go.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the doctor is full of crap - and she just said that bit about not being able to relate well, blah blah, in an attempt to not make herself look like a bigot.

Too late, lady.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
There are two reasons why this doctor's action needs to be sanctionable: First, Dominionism and similar unfair exploitation of excessive power can readily result in a dearth of options and opportunities for those of minority religious perspectives. Second, if discriminatory conduct is not brought to account then it will simply be passed onto future generations unremedied. You don't reward children for being egoistic, so you don't reward adults for being egoistic.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I thought more about this after reading more 'jimmie excuses' and he might think it a good idea if doctors like her can just kill babies like this. It would save god from having to do it in another wipe-out.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I thought more about this after reading more 'jimmie excuses' and he might think it a good idea if doctors like her can just kill babies like this. It would save god from having to do it in another wipe-out.
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, brother.

Better kill Baby Bay now to punish the parents for being lesbians. That's how it works in jimmiej's mind.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
It's chilling sometimes to see the mind of reactionaries work, because they never seem to realize how close their attitudes come to these more obvious offensive perspectives.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Good ol' jeffbase thinks he can "level the field" by posting his rant against atheists wanting to remove a religious symbol on public land ... and yet how does THAT compare to this:
A Michigan pediatrician declined to treat the infant daughter of a lesbian couple in yet another example of the growing tensions between advocates for LGBT rights and those who want greater religious expression protections.
Krista and Jami Contreras were eager to bring their 6-day-old infant for her first doctor visit after her birth in October. The doctor that they had carefully chosen knew they were lesbians and after the first prenatal visit, they were under the impression that everything was fine. But the morning they arrived for the appointment after baby Bay’s birth, another doctor in the practice greeted them instead.
“The first thing Dr. Karam said was, ‘I’ll be your doctor, I’ll be seeing you today because Dr. Roi decided this morning that she prayed on it and she won’t be able to care for Bay,’ ” Jami told WJBK. “Dr. Karam told us she didn’t even come to the office that morning because she didn’t want to see us.”
Click here to be disgusted

Now ... what kind of scumbag doctor would take her religious frustrations out on a BABY?!

Is it the baby's fault that she had lesbian parents?

It's a BABY!

And I bet she's anti-abortion, too, the hypocrite. Oh yeah, don't kill the baby in the womb, let it be born first so we can make her an example of what happens to babies of lesbian parents. Just hope you don't end up with an insensitive moron as your doctor.

Personally I think she should be fired for violating her hippocratic oath and failing to do her job. She prayed on it? Gimme a break. She didn't "pray" ... she just used that as excuse. No booming voice shouted from the sky and said, "Do not treat that baby!"

Does any Christian REALLY think that your loving God would EVER tell a doctor not to treat a baby just because the parents were lesbian?

I can't wait to hear the profound silence from our resident fundamentalists on THIS story.
I agree with you...The doctor should have done her job and cared for the infant...Her Jesus would have without batting an eyelash...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Would you really want a doctor that you fundamentally disagree with on the topic of sexuality to treat your kid?

This goes deeper than the doc thinking the parents are "icky". She decided she was not able to develop the parent-doctor relationship. I respect her for telling them from the start. It's not as if she happened along a car accident and found 2 lesbians with a baby and said "Well...I'm not going to treat THEM....". This is a non-emergency, and there are plenty of other doctors to go to.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Would you really want a doctor that you fundamentally disagree with on the topic of sexuality to treat your kid?

This goes deeper than the doc thinking the parents are "icky". She decided she was not able to develop the parent-doctor relationship. I respect her for telling them from the start. It's not as if she happened along a car accident and found 2 lesbians with a baby and said "Well...I'm not going to treat THEM....". This is a non-emergency, and there are plenty of other doctors to go to.
I have to disagree with you on this Viz...There is the Hippocratic Oath that doctors take and she violated that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality