Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:07 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,336,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Warden is a humdinger of a preacher and one of the Christian Good Guys on CD. I've read dozens of fine, uplifting posts from him that could certainly send a fence-sitter to the Christian team.

But that ain't one of 'em and Arq is no fence-sitter.

I await the rest of the story....
You just converted me with this .

Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 PM

23,180 posts, read 26,324,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Ummm...what? o.O I can't even imagine how a message like that would convert anyone.

He did say........."It wasn't even remotely relevant, but it was the KoanI'd always been wondering would tip my mind into the experience that I always knew was there.
"

Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,760,637 times
All of you deists and atheists inspire me constantly. I'm frequently far more able to see the Spirit of God in your posts than I am in some of the most ardent Christians. And it's helped me to see that the spark of God's heart has the ability to shine regardless of any "confession" of faith.

Arq is one of my favorite posters, yet I have no idea what he was trying to convey in his OP. At first I thought he might be mocking me, and even if he is, it doesn't change my view of his inherent thoughtful consideration of philosophical/religious questions.

Another of my favorite atheist posters is Shrina. Despite her call to battle with the worst aspects of religious beliefs, she does a fine lob of continually reminding us that, god or no god, we have an obligation to treat one another as if we were each the only child of God, and that we have communal obligations, not just personal ones. That is a spark of God whether one realizes it or not. Forgive me, Shrina.

As a Christian, I should never be lifted up by putting down someone who doesn't see God in the world.

I save my harshness for people who claim Christ as Lord, but haven't the compassion of some atheists toward people around them or think that they themselves are the only purveyors of truth.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,035,093 times
Obviously, Arequipa's account has been hacked.

Koan?

Old 03-28-2015, 05:11 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,336,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
He did say........."It wasn't even remotely relevant, but it was the KoanI'd always been wondering would tip my mind into the experience that I always knew was there.
"
Yeah I got that, which is why it is very perplexing.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM

20,278 posts, read 13,671,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
What is this ?
A koan is an Eastern term -- a paradox to meditate on. The canonical example is the Zen koan, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

Never had much use for them myself. Nor do I see a profundity or even deepity in Wardendresden's post that "arq" quoted, though I have no substantive disagreement with it either.

In all honesty it sounds almost like Arach Angle posing as Arq, or something of that nature. It is not Arq's style. I am with gabfest, it is almost as if Arq's account has been hacked or a visiting nephew got on his computer and put up a prank post or something of that nature.

I'm sure it will all sort out eventually.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,324,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Obviously, Arequipa's account has been hacked.

Koan?
Koan ......Something upon which to meditate.

Edit: Mordant's definition is better.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:25 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,974,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A koan is an Eastern term -- a paradox to meditate on. The canonical example is the Zen koan, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

Never had much use for them myself. Nor do I see a profundity or even deepity in Wardendresden's post that "arq" quoted, though I have no substantive disagreement with it either.

In all honesty it sounds almost like Arach Angle posing as Arq, or something of that nature. It is not Arq's style. I am with gabfest, it is almost as if Arq's account has been hacked or a visiting nephew got on his computer and put up a prank post or something of that nature.

I'm sure it will all sort out eventually.
Thank you Mordant for the explanation

Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM

10,557 posts, read 6,212,956 times
Though rare, if Arq has indeed converted, he wouldn't be the first person on this forum. I have always found Arq to be very knowledgeable about Christianity as well as many other religions. Possibly something about that knowledge has finally had an influence. There is a thread on the Christianity forum currently about atheist turned theist Anthony Flew. Stranger things have happened. As far as I can recall Arq calls himself agnostic (I think) so I wouldn't be surprised personally.
I await with baited breath....

Old 03-28-2015, 06:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,035,093 times
Thanks Dew and Mordant. I will now take some time and reflect on your answers (gonna koan'em).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality