Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I do a lot of my shopping on Sunday mornings, because I can get in and out quickly..I always try to be home before noon though..That is the time church is out. I find it very dangerous trying to avoid the wild and crazy drivers who race with their fellow parishners trying to beat them to the steak house or the Chinese restaurant, or Applebees..After those tables are full, it is second class eating at KFC or McDonalds After lunch there is a rush to Lowes or Walmart and things sometimes get nasty in the parking lots with everyone parking in all the handicap places that are for people in wheelchairs, or other disabilities like my grandson for whom I can never find a handicap space Yessir, Sunday afternoons in my town are often more action packed than Saturday night
Just because a person does not have a "physical" handicap, doesn't mean that they do not deserve the handicapped parking card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
I was just wondering what you think of people who don't have a church family. We have tried churches in our area, but were uncomfortable. We are Presbyterian and there are none in our small town. We would have to drive approximately an hour one way to find one. We tried a church that I can see from our front window, but were so very uncomfortable. It was so patterned that if you didn't attend every Sunday you would be lost and lost we were! The people were very nice, but we felt like outsiders. I often feel an outsider in church.

I feel I am very much a Christian. I read the Bible, I pray AND talk a lot to God. My son seems to think I'm a little touched when he overhears me talking to God. We pray and give thanks at meals and before bedtime. I donate to worthy causes. I'm just not sure about the whole church business. I grew up going to church with my grandmother every Sunday. She lived with us and would take me. My sisters preferred not to attend and my parents worked.

I would so like opinions on this because I almost feel like God won't accept me since I don't worship in his house.
You could do what the Presbyterian minister Marcus Grodi did, worry about all the splits, look into the Catholic faith, determine it's the true faith, and then become one.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Just because a person does not have a "physical" handicap, doesn't mean that they do not deserve the handicapped parking card.
I believe you didn't read the rest of my sentence..The part where I said or other disabilities..disabilities include any physical, mental or a debilitating disease such as cancer, gout, heart problems, etc..even obesity is now considered a valid reason for a handicap card in this area as well as in others..

By the way, my graqndson is a quadraplegic and is in a wheelchair, so I do get disappointed when I take him out and see cars with no handicap card or plate in a spot marked handicap that is big enough for me to have enough room to transfer him to his wheelchair..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-11-2008 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: add content

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
I do think you can be Christian and not attend Church.

The vast majority of churches in my area are more focused on receiving money and not on teaching the word of God. While I do wish we had a church family, at this time we do not.

I study every night, and pray more than I should (if that's possible). I have discussions with my Christian friends, one of which is quite knowledgeable and has always been able to clarify any questions I had when doing my studies. She has been a true blessing and inspiration to me, probably more than she realizes

Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,743 times
Quote:
I was just wondering what you think of people who don't have a church family. We have tried churches in our area, but were uncomfortable. We are Presbyterian and there are none in our small town. We would have to drive approximately an hour one way to find one. We tried a church that I can see from our front window, but were so very uncomfortable. It was so patterned that if you didn't attend every Sunday you would be lost and lost we were! The people were very nice, but we felt like outsiders. I often feel an outsider in church.

I feel I am very much a Christian. I read the Bible, I pray AND talk a lot to God. My son seems to think I'm a little touched when he overhears me talking to God. We pray and give thanks at meals and before bedtime. I donate to worthy causes. I'm just not sure about the whole church business. I grew up going to church with my grandmother every Sunday. She lived with us and would take me. My sisters preferred not to attend and my parents worked.

I would so like opinions on this because I almost feel like God won't accept me since I don't worship in his house.
A dog can go to church if they let him in. Many homosexuals, who, the bible says "those who live(habitual practice the lifestyle) like this will not inherit the kingdom of God, attend church regularly.

Many pastors do indeed behave like pimps because they spend more of the offering on their own wants than the needs of the community. Also, it is true, many pastors do womanize. No pastor, including myself should be trusted without biblical research first. Also, do not make the mistake of indentifying yourself as a presbytarian. Your not saved or unsaved due to your attendance in a church building. Remember when Jesus told his disciples to leave the man alone who was casting out demons but was not with them.

Do not see color, visit some churches, but make time yourself in the word asking Our heavenly father through the name of Jesus to teach you his truth through his very own Holy Spirit. God sees his children and his enemies when viewing humanity. The tares and the wheats are growing together in churches. Do not fall for the swindler, pimp preacher guilt trips. God is not a respecter of persons(read acts 10:31-34) If you have the Spirit of Christ, you belong to Christ. If you do not, you do not belong to him. Have you placed your faith in Christ alone for salvation? To place faith in Christ means you have placed all of your confidence in Christ for the salvation of your soul with absolute certainty that when you die your soul will be saved because of his redemptive work for you.(on the cross, through his lifestyle, and resurrection from the dead)

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,743 times
[quote=ministers;8685265]A dog can go to church if they let him in. Many homosexuals, who, the bible says "those who live(habitual practice the lifestyle) like this will not inherit the kingdom of God, attend church regularly.

Many pastors do indeed behave like pimps because they spend more of the offering on their own wants than the needs of the community. Also, it is true, many pastors do womanize. No pastor, including myself should be trusted without biblical research first. Also, do not make the mistake of indentifying yourself as a presbytarian. Your not saved or unsaved due to your attendance in a church building. Remember when Jesus told his disciples to leave the man alone who was casting out demons but was not with them.

Do not see color, visit some churches, but make time yourself in the word asking Our heavenly father through the name of Jesus to teach you his truth through his very own Holy Spirit. God sees his children and his enemies when viewing humanity. The tares and the wheats are growing together in churches. Do not fall for the swindler, pimp preacher guilt trips. God is not a respecter of persons(read acts 10:31-34) If you have the Spirit of Christ, you belong to Christ. If you do not, you do not belong to him. Have you placed your faith in Christ alone for salvation? To place faith in Christ means you have placed all of your confidence in Christ for the salvation of your soul with absolute certainty that when you die your soul will be saved because of his redemptive work for you.(on the cross, through his lifestyle, and resurrection from the dead)

Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:

Belief doesn't require church attendance. I haven't been to church in three years. And I'm not even TRYING to find a church.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Another issue is self-interpretation of the Bible. Alone we just scratch and claw through the Bible knowing not much what of we read because of confusing text, ancient wording, ancient word meanings, ancient settings, "on-the-surface" conflicting verses, etc. But with the Church's Majesteriam, all that fog can be lifted away because of the knowledge that Jesus gave His Authority to Peter and then on to every priest, bishop, cardinal, and pope that ever lived to interpret the meaning of God's word.
What a load of horse hockey! Anyone with half a brain can read the Bible and, using textual and historical context along with basic common sense figure out what it is saying and what is meant by it. I sure as heck don't need a priest to tell me what I 'should' believe or how I 'should' worship.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 AM

161 posts, read 414,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
What a load of horse hockey! Anyone with half a brain can read the Bible and, using textual and historical context along with basic common sense figure out what it is saying and what is meant by it. I sure as heck don't need a priest to tell me what I 'should' believe or how I 'should' worship.
well said....
however, there are alot of half-wits who not only DO believe in the silly content of the bible, but also need a preist to confirm those half-witted ideas for them!
what a load of horse dropping!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:

I don't a just god would hold it against you when there are tens of thousands of different institutions that all claim to be the "true" house of god, and all you have to go on are you're gut feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality