Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times

Advertisements

Whoo, how rude! You know I have friends of many different religions, Budasts, Muslims, and Pagens, and none of them have told me I'm going to their version of hell. Honestly, that is just plain ole bad manners. There are other ways of asking someone to consider the merits of one's religion besides making threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

What scares me and concerns me is that I'm afraid places like this might tend to make people think there's peripheral things that you have to embrace to embrace Christ, and that's not true. I wonder if there is people out there that might say "You know, I think there's something to this Jesus, but if to believe in Him and trust Him I have to believe the world is 6000 years old, hate gays, shelter my kids, pray in public, march the streets to put a pastor in the White House, then no thanks!"

And that's sad.

My faith rests in Christ and Christ alone. He's all you need.

So how do you be friends with someone that thinks you're going to Hell? Hopefully the same way you would with anyone else. Just be friends.
These thoughts also plague me at times...IMO,there is more power in the Gospels for the person truly seeking Christ..And more power in the Love of Christ that shows in our actions and kind words to the seeker than in "laying down the rules"of a particular doctrine..

Old 01-19-2008, 10:48 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Whether it's "religion" based or something else, it's hard for me to be friends with someone who treats me in a condescending manner, rather than valuing me enough to treat me with respect. I don't care if it supposedly is out of "concern for my soul" it presumes that they know what is best for me, rather than giving me the respect and dignity to figure out my own life and live it for myself. it is insulting.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumMom View Post
I'm an agnostic and I have many friends of all religions. I have never had a problem with other people expressing their religion. But what do you do when a friend openly warns you that you and your family will go to Hell if you don't accept God? This makes me very uncomfortable and angry. How shall I respond to her? Is our friendship ultimately doomed?
First of all, that's NOT a friendly point of disagreement. That's nothing less than a hateful threat of eternal torture for you and your loved ones. End all contact with that individual and let them stew in their own hatred until (or IF) they see the light.

There is NEVER an occasion where that kind of behavior is acceptable. It's so sad that Jesus' message of tolerance and love is turned to hate by some of his so-called believers.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:43 AM

35 posts, read 67,181 times
But we (my entire family) are burdened for our unsaved friends just like I am burdened for the unsaved here. I have learned though, that all I can do is be a witness, each individual has to decide whether to embrace Christ or reject Him.

Sorry but that sounds a bit insulting. I mean are we supposed to feel sorry for you because we burden you with out heathen ways? I have a hard time with Christians who feel so personally responsible for saving others. It would seem that A God would not put that burden on anyone. I always found it more than a bit condescending when Christians offer to pray for me, assuming that of course I need praying for. No matter what a nonchristian says, Christians will always have an answer for it I suppose.

If there is a god I can't imagine they would have envisioned the way Christians would interpret their faith and how much havoc and pain it would cause millions of people who just want to live life in the best way they can with out constantly worrying about every step they take is living up to some arbitrary demands from an invisible god.

And why is the alternative always that you either embrace or reject, how about we just have no need to embrace or reject that which can not be proved? You god gives free will only to punish you if you exorcise it. Very strange.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
OK. Was this a bait and switch or what?

Are you kidding or are you serious?

You made these comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozin View Post
You would think this would be a major difficulty for devout Christians, but it is interesting that it never comes up. It seems that Christians are often really more concerned with their own salvation in the end. I have often, very often thought about this question, but not being Christian I can't answer it for them. Many would probably use the "it's not my place to judge" comment, but that just gets them off the hook temporarily but does not answer the bigger question as to how you will feel as a Christian when your friends are marched off to eternal damnation while you are in so called heaven. Makes little sense to me.

For me, it's very clear. I want nothing to do with a God that will separate me from my friends. My friends where there when I needed them and god was not. My friends where there when God's Christians were not. So any god that will give a pass to me if I were Christian and not to my friend, knows little about loyalty and compassion, there for isn't much of a god to me.
o
This is just one of many questions Christians don't consider or just don't talk about maybe.
<Emphasis mine>

Implying that a Christian that doesn't discuss these issues with you really only care about themselves.

To which I responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I have many non-Christian friends and I want to keep them as friends. I don't think Christians are only concerned about their own salvation, that wouldn't be much of a Christian at all. My MO has been to make sure the folks know what my beliefs are, try and talk to them about it, and when they are 'through' talking about it, honor that and not hound them. Then I try and live my life as Christ has instructed and be there if they ever want to revisit the discussion. I try and present the Truth of the Gospel to them and really, that's all my responsibility except for praying for them and living out my faith.

But we (my entire family) are burdened for our unsaved friends just like I am burdened for the unsaved here. I have learned though, that all I can do is be a witness, each individual has to decide whether to embrace Christ or reject Him.

What scares me and concerns me is that I'm afraid places like this might tend to make people think there's peripheral things that you have to embrace to embrace Christ, and that's not true. I wonder if there is people out there that might say "You know, I think there's something to this Jesus, but if to believe in Him and trust Him I have to believe the world is 6000 years old, hate gays, shelter my kids, pray in public, march the streets to put a pastor in the White House, then no thanks!"

And that's sad.

My faith rests in Christ and Christ alone. He's all you need.

So how do you be friends with someone that thinks you're going to Hell? Hopefully the same way you would with anyone else. Just be friends.
And you find that insulting?

Sorry. I don't know how to talk to someone like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozin View Post
Sorry but that sounds a bit insulting. I mean are we supposed to feel sorry for you because we burden you with out heathen ways?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumMom View Post
I'm an agnostic and I have many friends of all religions. I have never had a problem with other people expressing their religion. But what do you do when a friend openly warns you that you and your family will go to Hell if you don't accept God? This makes me very uncomfortable and angry. How shall I respond to her? Is our friendship ultimately doomed?
Thank her for not slicing your head off with a dull knife or blowing you up for you not coming around to her way of thinking.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 PM

206 posts, read 528,911 times
Default You can't force it!

Would you please forgive your friend. They may be coming across harshly, but it is every Christians duty to tell any and everyone about the goodness of our Lord and Saviour. It is up to the individual to take heed or not, it's going to come a day when every knee will bow and every tongue shall confess, unfortunatly some will wait for that day and it will be to late. If you live a holy life before your saved friends most will taste and see that the Lord is good on their own.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I would probably put that person out of my life. They know your viewpoint and insist on damning you to hell based on their belief system.

When you look at it from another viewpoint, do they only want to be friends with you to "save" you? That's no friendship. There are other people out there who will love, respect and accept you as you are without trying to force their religious beliefs on you.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:05 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Well, I have to admit, I've been on this forum for quite a while now and I've been everything from "damned to hell" by some people and respected for my opinion by others. The one thing I've noticed is that aside from the occassional heated argument I've also respected people (Christians as well) for their own opinions. I don't necessarily agree with them. I've been "prayed for" and even DM'ed to "see the light". Regardless, nothing has changed in my opinion, and I suspect that nothing has changed about anyone else's. The thing is that, for the most part, we've all been able to somewhat 'come together' and discuss certain issues. That, in itself, shows that we are all somewhat accepting of one another. We ALL recognize that there are people with different beliefs and opinions. As long as we're not strictly condemning people and touting fiery rage, we're actually getting along quite well. As much as I think the world would be a better place if no one believed in God, there are those that feel the only way the world would be a better place is if we all believed in God. What we're not recognizing is what's right in front of our face. We're not recognizing that amidst all of our different beliefs we're actually able to sort out our beliefs and opinions amongst one another. Yes, sometimes there are arguments. Sometimes there are debates (well most of the time), and sometimes there are jokes. The thing that's staring us right in the face is that we mostly all respect one another's opinions and if we leave it at that than that's what will truly make the world a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality