Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 AM

260 posts, read 230,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now, the invention of the scientific method is, I’m sure we’ll all agree, the most powerful intellectual idea, the most powerful framework for thinking and investigating and understanding and challenging the world around us that there is, and it rests on the premise that any idea is there to be attacked. If it withstands the attack then it lives to fight another day and if it doesn’t withstand the attack then down it goes. Religion doesn’t seem to work like that. It has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is, “Here is an idea or a notion that you’re not allowed to say anything bad about; you’re just not. Why not? — because you’re not!” If somebody votes for a party that you don’t agree with, you’re free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand if somebody says “I mustn’t move a light switch on a Saturday,” you say, “I respect that.”
There is a difference between respecting someone's right to a belief as opposed to being obligated to respecting the belief itself, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
There is a difference between respecting someone's right to a belief as opposed to being obligated to respecting the belief itself, right?
At best that's a semantic distinction. At worst it's a rationalization and a screen to hide one's true feelings.

If I think that a particular religious belief, that somehow effects my life, is idiotic, I certainly can't respect it nor those who believe it.

Why would I respect someone's right to believe in such nonsense?

I would be more apt to believe that they needed a good womp upside the head to knock some sense into them and make them quit bothering me.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
At best that's a semantic distinction. At worst it's a rationalization and a screen to hide one's true feelings.

If I think that a particular religious belief, that somehow effects my life, is idiotic, I certainly can't respect it nor those who believe it.

Why would I respect someone's right to believe in such nonsense?

I would be more apt to believe that they needed a good womp upside the head to knock some sense into them and make them quit bothering me.

'A good womp...' lol

Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM

485 posts, read 560,678 times
Hate the sin, love the sinner.

There is a distinction, yes, but I admit it is hard to maintain a respectability if the face of stupidity.

The guy in the cartoon is loony. There were at least 3 turtles involved....

Seriously, with the DNA, archaeological, and historical evidence we have today, taking the Book of Mormon as anything but a fairy tale is loony. Taking Scientology as anything but bad science fiction is loony. Taking the Bible as literal (creation in 6 days, parting of seas, dinosaur bones being a deception from God to test faith, etc.) is loony.

God gave us brains to USE, not to set aside when seeking Him as if they might get in the way!

"When I was a child, I thought as a child..." Some people need to move past pre-school and get with the 21st century. We don't have all the answers, but we have a lot more than 2,000-5,000 years ago...

Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
I can think someone's beliefs are asinine, but I respect a person's right to believe as he or she wishes. But then I guess it doesn't necessarily follow that I respect the person (as previous posters suggested). But I hate to disrespect someone for beliefs alone--really, actively doing something harmful is worse. An example would be voting in a way (based on one's beliefs) that negatively impacts others' lives..

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM

485 posts, read 560,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I can think someone's beliefs are asinine, but I respect a person's right to believe as he or she wishes. But then I guess it doesn't necessarily follow that I respect the person (as previous posters suggested). But I hate to disrespect someone for beliefs alone--really, actively doing something harmful is worse. An example would be voting in a way (based on one's beliefs) that negatively impacts others' lives..
Well said. Romney, for example, is a Mormon. I find the Book of Mormon to be pure fantasy, but Romney might be a very good President. All factors much be weighed. I have not heard Romney speak about the BoM, but if he claimed it as fact, I would struggle more with him. Still, his religious beliefs are not driving his political decisions.

Huckabee, on the other hand, denies evolution, wants to "turn the nation back to Jesus Christ" (as if it started with him in the first place) and wants to make the US Constitution "reflect God" (which means HIS view of God, of course). In Huckabee's case, the man is loony and I would not vote for him because his religious beliefs would result in bad political decisions.

One must always look at the total package...

Old 01-20-2008, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
TwentyFourSeven wrote:
Quote:
I noticed that you used an example about turtles and a space god which is of course ridiculous. One thing that bothers me about some of the discussions on the forum is the fact that religious people are sometimes portrayed as stupid because they believe in things that are supernatural. I'm not saying that you're doing that but I've never heard anyone state that they believed in anything as dumb as angry turtles and space gods on any thread and I've read alot of them. I've known some very intelligent people who are deeply religious and even though I don't share their beliefs I can't say that I disrespect those beliefs.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
24-7, where did you get that cartoon? Please post or DM the answer. If you created it, then I need to know that. Either way: I want more!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TwentyFourSeven wrote:

I noticed that you used an example about turtles and a space god which is of course ridiculous. One thing that bothers me about some of the discussions on the forum is the fact that religious people are sometimes portrayed as stupid because they believe in things that are supernatural. I'm not saying that you're doing that but I've never heard anyone state that they believed in anything as dumb as angry turtles and space gods on any thread and I've read alot of them. I've known some very intelligent people who are deeply religious and even though I don't share their beliefs I can't say that I disrespect those beliefs.

With all due respect, I think that comes from how many religious people won't question anything, and they say you can't find God by reason.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
24-7, where did you get that cartoon? Please post or DM the answer. If you created it, then I need to know that. Either way: I want more!
LOL!!!

I don't even remember. Right click and you should find the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality