Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 11:58 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Your attempt at a red herring distraction aside...what exactly is your basis for stating that something is moral or immoral? If there is no God, and we are just chemical reactions happening..how can anything we do be immoral?

I'm STILL waiting for you to give me anything other than your opinion regarding morality.
Thats what morality is at the end of the day...what ought and ought not do. An opinion.

Your god's morality is simply wrapped up in your own predisposed and biased interpretations of old books based upon what appeals to you.

My morality is also skewed by what appeals to me...but I get the added bonus of using my own reasoning to determine whether we all ought to do what appeals to me...rather than simply stating it as "god's word".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Thats what morality is at the end of the day...what ought and ought not do. An opinion.
I feel sorry for you, then. You have no definitive way to suggest that Adolph Hitler was wrong to do what he did.
Quote:

Your god's morality is simply wrapped up in your own predisposed and biased interpretations of old books based upon what appeals to you.

My morality is also skewed by what appeals to me...but I get the added bonus of using my own reasoning to determine whether we all ought to do what appeals to me...rather than simply stating it as "god's word".
As you said above, this is just an opinion. So why should we value your opinion? Why should anyone believe that your morality is correct?

Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for you, then. You have no definitive way to suggest that Adolph Hitler was wrong to do what he did.

As you said above, this is just an opinion. So why should we value your opinion? Why should anyone believe that your morality is correct?
Round n' round n' round he goes. As obtuse and nonsensical as ever.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Sure I do...I definitively assert that Hitler was morally wrong to torture and kill millions of people.

There....that wasn't so hard. How bout you agree with me and we'll gather consensus?

Quote:
Maybe because you agree with it (mostly)? And I'm real.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Sure I do...I definitively assert that Hitler was morally wrong to torture and kill millions of people.
There....that wasn't so hard. How bout you agree with me and we'll gather consensus?

But since your opinion has no authority over him or anyone else, it's not really relevant.
Quote:

Maybe because you agree with it (mostly)? And I'm real.
It's still, in the end, simply your opinion. It's non-binding to anyone other than yourself.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Round n' round n' round he goes. As obtuse and nonsensical as ever.
I'm still waiting for an answer other than an opinion. Do you have one?

Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for an answer other than an opinion. Do you have one?
So if we cannot answer everything about the universe...including some inanely appealing concept you have for objective morality right here & now....you are going to choose "goddunnit"?

This is your rationale for objective morality? How do you even get out of bed without being instructed to do so?

Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
But since your opinion has no authority over him or anyone else, it's not really relevant.

It's still, in the end, simply your opinion. It's non-binding to anyone other than yourself.
And how much authority does your opinion have over Adolf?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And how much authority does your opinion have over Adolf?
Absolutely none. My personal opinion of his actions do not mean that he was moral, or immoral.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
So if we cannot answer everything about the universe...including some inanely appealing concept you have for objective morality right here & now....you are going to choose "goddunnit"?
Unless you've got a better answer, that's what I'm going with. But you don't. No atheist has ever been able to give me anything other than their opinion on the topic of morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality