Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 AM

689 posts, read 494,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This use of the term 'cosmic accident' has been brought up before but you persist.
It may be more understandable for you to consider if you switch it to 'cosmic incident'.
Just as so many gods...the wind god and the rain god, etc...were dismissed when why and how these things happened was learned, so may the idea of a creator god be disposed of once more things are learned about how the cosmos functions.

Those tightly gripping the idea of a creator/responsible god just appear to be scared of the idea that they are responsible for themselves. Rather similar to being afraid to let go of mommy's apron strings.
The more we discover and learn, the more ragged those strings are getting.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Maybe the "Biblical deity" represents man's attempt to control people, by using the power and momentum of their natural and intuitive belief in the true transcendent God.

Perhaps that fact was the intent of the writers, to warn people. Since religion had been around before the Bible was written.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don't need physical evidence to believe in ID. The alternative is a "cosmic accident".
You ought to read "Tired of the Nonsense's" explanation two or three times and really let it sink in.

However, leaving that aside for the moment, my question is -- so what if everything was a cosmic accident?

Are you saying you believe in ID simply because you don't like the idea of a cosmic accident?

Of course, the human mind loathes chaos and randomness. We are always looking for patterns and then making associations based on those patterns. Often that is a good thing but sometimes it can lead us astray. Seeing a cloud shaped like a rabbit does not mean there is a giant flying rabbit in the sky. It is the mind's determination to see recognizable patterns even where there aren't any is what causes people to see the Virgin Mary in a water stain beneath a bridge or an "old man" in the way a rock formation stands.

Religion could be construed as the ultimate in seeing patterns where none exist. Yet the mind rebels at the idea of anything happening accidentally or randomly -- everything must have a purpose, a reason. If none can be found, it is relegated to religion and the works of gods. Religious claims are almost always arguments from ignorance.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Maybe the "Biblical deity" represents man's attempt to control people, by using the power and momentum of their natural and intuitive belief in the true transcendent God.

Perhaps that fact was the intent of the writers, to warn people. Since religion had been around before the Bible was written.
'true transcendent god'?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You ought to read "Tired of the Nonsense's" explanation two or three times and really let it sink in.

However, leaving that aside for the moment, my question is -- so what if everything was a cosmic accident?

Are you saying you believe in ID simply because you don't like the idea of a cosmic accident?

Of course, the human mind loathes chaos and randomness. We are always looking for patterns and then making associations based on those patterns. Often that is a good thing but sometimes it can lead us astray. Seeing a cloud shaped like a rabbit does not mean there is a giant flying rabbit in the sky. It is the mind's determination to see recognizable patterns even where there aren't any is what causes people to see the Virgin Mary in a water stain beneath a bridge or an "old man" in the way a rock formation stands.

Religion could be construed as the ultimate in seeing patterns where none exist. Yet the mind rebels at the idea of anything happening accidentally or randomly -- everything must have a purpose, a reason. If none can be found, it is relegated to religion and the works of gods. Religious claims are almost always arguments from ignorance.
Yep. And seeing patterns on a stock market chart (when there are none) can cost a person real money.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Seriously? If that's the case, why do so many believe in a creator, many of them (throughout history) educated, reasonable people?
Same reason people believe:
Breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck.
The number 13 is bad luck.
A black cat walking across your path is bad luck.
Walking under a ladder is bad luck...

Superstitious nonsense yet plenty of people still believe it or don't want to take the chance that it actually is true.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Same reason people believe:
Breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck.
The number 13 is bad luck.
A black cat walking across your path is bad luck.
Walking under a ladder is bad luck...

Superstitious nonsense yet plenty of people still believe it or don't want to take the chance that it actually is true.
Very true!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I have no interest in meeting up with anyone in any afterlife, even people of whom I am fond. I suspect if an afterlife exists we will not be the same people we are in this dimension.
There's a meme floating around Facebook that states the light people see as they are dying is the opening of the vagina... or something like that.

Now that's being reborn in the literal sense. Energy is neither created nor destroyed so I could believe in our energy being reborn as something new.

Maybe the deity is just the mixing bowl for throwing energy (souls) into newborns.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
There's a meme floating around Facebook that states the light people see as they are dying is the opening of the vagina... or something like that.

Now that's being reborn in the literal sense. Energy is neither created nor destroyed so I could believe in our energy being reborn as something new.

Maybe the deity is just the mixing bowl for throwing energy (souls) into newborns.
Well, people claim to see their dead loved ones at the end of that "tunnel of light" and I doubt there's a crowd of deceased people peering into the mother's vagina as you're being reborn. That's kinda creepy.

Plus, if you were a baby, why would you recognize people from your old family?

One thing I've always thought was interesting is how those who've had near death experiences (NDE) have never come back from them and said, "Wow, and everyone was there ... well, except Aunt Gladys and Uncle Tom. They were both atheists."

I also find it bizarre that all of those deceased relatives were recognizable. Does that mean grandma still looked 90 even in Paradise? That would suck if dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse turned out to be very wise advice because you'll be forever stuck looking like your body on the day of its death.

I remember a line from the movie The Crow which went something like this: "'Mother' is the word for 'God' on the lips and in the hearts of all children."

Perhaps someone wiser than the movie screenwriter is the original inventor of the quote, but I always thought of how true and profound that sentence is. Gee, if the light really is being reborn into a new body, it's no wonder, as you're being held by your mother for the first time, so many have claimed they felt all of this unconditional love from a supremely loving being. As a baby, that's how you might perceive your mother and her love - God. I just hope that when you are snapped back to your own body, the baby whom you occupied doesn't die in its mother's arms.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well, people claim to see their dead loved ones at the end of that "tunnel of light" and I doubt there's a crowd of deceased people peering into the mother's vagina as you're being reborn. That's kinda creepy.

Plus, if you were a baby, why would you recognize people from your old family?

One thing I've always thought was interesting is how those who've had near death experiences (NDE) have never come back from them and said, "Wow, and everyone was there ... well, except Aunt Gladys and Uncle Tom. They were both atheists."

I also find it bizarre that all of those deceased relatives were recognizable. Does that mean grandma still looked 90 even in Paradise? That would suck if dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse turned out to be very wise advice because you'll be forever stuck looking like your body on the day of its death.

I remember a line from the movie The Crow which went something like this: "'Mother' is the word for 'God' on the lips and in the hearts of all children."

Perhaps someone wiser than the movie screenwriter is the original inventor of the quote, but I always thought of how true and profound that sentence is. Gee, if the light really is being reborn into a new body, it's no wonder, as you're being held by your mother for the first time, so many have claimed they felt all of this unconditional love from a supremely loving being. As a baby, that's how you might perceive your mother and her love - God. I just hope that when you are snapped back to your own body, the baby whom you occupied doesn't die in its mother's arms.
LOL @ Bold

I don't think the light is anything but light... I don't think the NDE's are anything more than the brain processing bits of information similar to a dream.

Being born into a new body isn't that far fetched. The energy that makes us alive has to go somewhere when we die. Being energy, I doubt it would contain memories... wouldn't you need a brain for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality