Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM

124 posts, read 97,865 times

Advertisements

I realize that some faiths, including my own, are by their nature exclusive. But at least my particular faith and a LOT of the better individuals I've known both inside and outside of that faith, don't focus so much on the "are they one of us or one of them?" issue that they cannot even see a fellow human being. It's where that exclusivity descends into closed-mindedness and hate that it bothers me. What this person or that person's eternal fate will be is between them and God. Not me. I might not be certain that we will have the same afterlife but I don't need to be certain of that to see them as a person. Our beliefs need not be mirror images of each other for me to appreciate the similarities and see the good in the differences. Like it or not we share this world and increasingly throughout that world we also share societies and communities. We need to learn to drop our prejudices about each other and learn to live and work together because that's not going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 12:33 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahOrBust994 View Post
I realize that some faiths, including my own, are by their nature exclusive. But at least my particular faith and a LOT of the better individuals I've known both inside and outside of that faith, don't focus so much on the "are they one of us or one of them?" issue that they cannot even see a fellow human being. It's where that exclusivity descends into closed-mindedness and hate that it bothers me. What this person or that person's eternal fate will be is between them and God. Not me. I might not be certain that we will have the same afterlife but I don't need to be certain of that to see them as a person. Our beliefs need not be mirror images of each other for me to appreciate the similarities and see the good in the differences. Like it or not we share this world and increasingly throughout that world we also share societies and communities. We need to learn to drop our prejudices about each other and learn to live and work together because that's not going to change.
This is an ideal situation and theory but it won't be 100% followed by all humans (including believers and non believers).
There will ALWAYS be those who think and act differently.

In my personal opinion - A LOT of religious based hatred between different groups is actually political - where someone takes an unfair advantage of the emotional component and attachment with religion that people have with their religion, one group is pit against the other and the game begins.

The goal is to grab money and power under the disguise of religion.
Brains are washed, seed of hatred is infested in the hearts, and it grows and grows.
These men are not doing God's work, no matter how powerful of a religious leaders are they.
And there will ALWAYS be such men around.

Being believers (regardless of our religion) it's our job and a never ending struggle to spread the good word, and be kind to each other.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 PM

63,806 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahOrBust994 View Post
What is this hate? How does someone become so closed-minded that they forget the one thing all faiths have in common? Kindness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Truer words were never said. May loving kindness pour forth and fill this world. Ye shall know them by their deeds, by their works.
Excellent summary of the Spirit of agape love standard into a single word. Everything that is part of God's truth has kindness in it, period. Nothing that does NOT have kindness in it can be of God.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM

124 posts, read 97,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In my personal opinion - A LOT of religious based hatred between different groups is actually political - where someone takes an unfair advantage of the emotional component and attachment with religion that people have with their religion, one group is pit against the other and the game begins.

The goal is to grab money and power under the disguise of religion.
Brains are washed, seed of hatred is infested in the hearts, and it grows and grows.
These men are not doing God's work, no matter how powerful of a religious leaders are they.
And there will ALWAYS be such men around.

Being believers (regardless of our religion) it's our job and a never ending struggle to spread the good word, and be kind to each other.
I agree with you, I think that at the institutional level it's largely political, although I've found that on an individualized basis it's often more ignorance and fear of outsiders than anything else. One reason I personally think World Religions should not only be offered but required in High School.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Let's read the verse again, it answers your question about Hindus and Budhists and Ahmadi and Bhai etc, plz pay attention to the bold part

Quote:
"Indeed, those who believed and those who were Jews or Christians or
Sabeans [before Prophet Muhammad] - those [among them] who believed in Allah and
the Last Day and did righteousness - will have their reward with their Lord, and
no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve."
I wonder you have read the 6236 verses of the Quran fully and understood its ethos thoroughly.

Note 3:85
Quote:
3:85. And whoso seeketh as Religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will
not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.
If you read the 6236 verses of the Quran hermeneutically within all relevant perspectives, the above 'Religion' in context refers to the Islam of Muhammad. All the early milder verses [e.g. no compulsion in religion, etc.] of the Meccan phases are abrogated and overridden by the very harsh and violent laden verses of the Medinian phases. The latter are expounded, exaggerated and amplified [like fish tales] by zealots in the Hadiths and Sira.

Note 3400++ or 55% of the 6236 verses in the Quran are loaded with negative and antagonistic verses against non-Muslims who are labeled derogatively as Kuffar [plr] or Kaffir [singular].

The clergy who spend their whole life time reading the Quran, Hadiths and Sira are brainwashed by the evils elements and they influence vulnerable Muslims to commit terrible evils upon the infidels [kuffar]. The evidence to this is very glaring and we hear and read of these terrible Islamic related evils of various degrees everyday.

Many apologists will give politics, social, etc. as an excuse for Islamic violence and evils. The fact is Islam [in part] is inherent evil and SOME zealous Muslims will pick on any excuse to suppress, oppress, subjugate, cast terrors and exterminate non-Muslims as stated in their holy texts that drive and compelled [often subliminally] them to commit terrible evil to relieve their terrible psychological insecurities and angst.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,097 times
Quote:
2:62 "Indeed, those who believed and those who were Jews or Christians or
Sabeans [before Prophet Muhammad] - those [among them] who believed in Allah and
the Last Day and did righteousness - will have their reward with their Lord, and
no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve."
The above verse repeated in 5:69 is abrogated and overridden by the following verse 3:85 and many other verses.

Quote:
3:85. And whoso seeketh as Religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will
not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.
Verse 2:62 reflected the time when Muhammad was starting out as a preacher and verse 2:62 was vaguely veiled to induce Jews and Christians or Sabeans to convert to Muhammad's Islam.

Where the religions of the Jews or Christians is to be recognized as the same of that Muhammad's Islam they have to comply with his conditions i.e. obey and accept Muhammad as the messenger of Allah, his practices and central doctrine.

However the central doctrine of Christianity is not compatible to Islam at all. Christians believe in Jesus as son of God and the Trinity. Islam strongly condemn such doctrines as deserving hell or be killed if necessary. Similarly Muhammad condemned the Jewish teachings as corrupt after the Jews rejected/mocked his proselytizing.

Therefore 2:62 is not an acceptance of Jews and Christians and note subsequently when Muhammad became a War General, he stated the following;

Quote:
5:51. O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and Christians for friends*. They are
friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of
them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.
There many similar verses exhorting Muslims not to befriend non-Muslims. *'Friend' is taken in the sense of allies, supporters, guardians, but the message is generally negative and antagonistic.

Worst still, the above antagonism and negativity is extended to even parents and kins.

Quote:
9:23. O ye who believe! [Muslims] Choose not your fathers nor your brethren for
friends if they take pleasure in disbelief [as infidels] rather than faith.
Whoso of you taketh them for friends, such are wrong doers
note [mine]

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Traditionally, both Christianity and Islam have held that view. It's not a new thing.

To the OP: According to the Gospels, Jesus himself says that it's "my way or the highway." John 14:6 is the standard proof text. That's where conservative Christians get the idea. They didn't get the idea from hatred per se, but I do think the associated attitude can certainly lead to hatred (of non-believers).
That verse is the subject of much debate. He was answering a question to his small group of followers and I have read some scholarly opinions that verbiage like "None of you" could be substituted for "No one" and that it can easily be interpreted to mean he has already put them on the path and they need not worry.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:54 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
That verse is the subject of much debate. He was answering a question to his small group of followers and I have read some scholarly opinions that verbiage like "None of you" could be substituted for "No one" and that it can easily be interpreted to mean he has already put them on the path and they need not worry.
It's always possible for apologists to explain away or excuse the many "not so nice" passages in the Bible and the Quran.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Would you think it hatred, if the doctor doing the best he can, ends up telling you , "you have cancer, and only a few monthst live" ?
It is not hatred that people share the warning , it's love , because they are telling you so you have time to do something about it .
It would be hatred if they witheld that information.
Jesus said," It is a narrow way, and FEW there be that find it. but the broad is the way that leads to distruction, and many there be which go in there at."
So long as one is compromising the things Jesus taught, they no longer become a disciple of Christ, but have chosen the distractions and compromised influence of Satan, just like Adam and Eve .
Satan made light of God's direct word to them and essentially called God a liar..
One calls Jesus a liar when they compromise the things He said, especially those things He did not leave to parable, and gave no space for compromise.
If you call your self christian, than the things Jesus said, should have more athourity in your life than any other person , ( in the bible or otherwise).
The problem now days is that men would call them self christian because they are not catholic, or because they are born in a christian family , or they go to a church .
A real christian Knows the things Jesus taught, ( and has the born again expirence, and the Holy Spirit in His life, continuing the teaching Jesus taught , not just scriptures, but guidance in every day life from God , not men, as Jesus had very clearly designated.
Jesus taught God's awareness of ones entire life , there is no private thought hidden from God .
That's one reason lies are so offensive ,
God knows the truth .
Men tend to think that God only hears stuff you pray. That's pretty lame .
Jesus said we will be giving account for even idle conversation.
Nothing is hidden from God at all .
When you dicide to honor God with the respect He diserves, things will change ,but untill then, going through motions is hipocritical. (and you know it)
Often times men wait till their mortality is come uon them ,before they finally yield , most often though that last grasp to manipulate God comes up empty.
God will not always strive with men , there is a time comming ,it appears soon , that the door of God's mercy will close .
Jesus will make a clear distinction between those that are His, and those that only make a pretence . Matthew 7;21,22,23, John 15;
Salvation is by obedience to God .
Obedience is not mere thought, nor superficial faith.
It is the result fo repenting of self govern and needing God's govern continiously and indefinately.
Love God first and primarily, and the rest will fall into place.
Then one can have His perspective in how to spicifically and correctly Love his neighbor. God's law/Instruction is realtime via the Holy Spirit and is not burdonsome.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach believers, and not get tripped up by the twist of scriptures men tend to peform )

Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Would you think it hatred, if the doctor doing the best he can, ends up telling you , "you have cancer, and only a few monthst live"
If the doctor had no evidence for the cancer and kept telling me that I was a worthless individual who deserved to die, I'd be a bit suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality