Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Would you think it hatred, if the doctor doing the best he can, ends up telling you , "you have cancer, and only a few monthst live" ?
It is not hatred that people share the warning , it's love , because they are telling you so you have time to do something about it .
People go to a doctor to specifically ask for their opinion. Somehow some Christians think that it is their job to hunt down people and offer their opinion when their opinion wasn't asked for. Some even go so far as to knock on my door to tell me their opinion. I have never had a doctor just walk up and give me their opinion on my health without me asking, and them doing several tests to find out the status of my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:53 AM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
People go to a doctor to specifically ask for their opinion. Somehow some Christians think that it is their job to hunt down people and offer their opinion when their opinion wasn't asked for. Some even go so far as to knock on my door to tell me their opinion. I have never had a doctor just walk up and give me their opinion on my health without me asking, and them doing several tests to find out the status of my health.
this could very well be post of the year

Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's always possible for apologists to explain away or excuse the many "not so nice" passages in the Bible and the Quran.
In the particular case I was mentioning I think it more like an "unapologist" (is there such a thing? ) twisting the text to make it "not so nice". It's a game of semantics with texts that are suspect to begin with.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:28 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
this could very well be post of the year
Yes indeed. It is a real winner.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Would you think it hatred, if the doctor doing the best he can, ends up telling you , "you have cancer, and only a few monthst live" ?
It is not hatred that people share the warning , it's love , because they are telling you so you have time to do something about it .
It would be hatred if they witheld that information.
BS.

I've seen the dire warnings of eternal hellfire in many places, including these threads - as often as not, they're not warnings meant to turn people away from danger but gleeful anticipations of the eternal torment facing non-believers. Because, let's the honest, the mindset inclined to revere an entity that punishes disbelief (or 'incorrect belief' ) with endless torture is not a mindset that has much sympathy - it's a mindset that takes great pleasure in vindictive retribution.

You're not spreading the word for anyone else. You're doing it for your own selfish reasons - though I do believe that you've probably managed the mental contortions requisite to convince yourself that you are doing it for others.

How many were burned at the stake out of 'love', in order to force them to repent as the flames licked up their legs, thereby - in the twisted logically in the believer - saving them from even more suffering?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I believe that religion is very personal. I can't tell anyone what to believe-I can only tell people what I believe. If they believe what I believe, great. If not, oh well. But, some people believe that everyone MUST believe as they do. They are the only ones who are right and if they are right then everyone else must be wrong. They don't realize that their religion is right-FOR THEM but not right for someone else. What some people do is try to scare people into believing as they do. "If you don't believe this then you are going to hell!."

I have issues with people who THINK they know what God would want-like the people who say that God hates others. These people worship the God of Hate. I also have issues with people who bring their religion into my space. I don't bring my religion into theirs and I except the same courtesy-but I guess that is asking too much. I have also found that a lot of these "holier than thou" people are some of the most nasty people and the biggest hypocrites I have ever known.

Cat

Old 06-16-2015, 03:40 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahOrBust994 View Post
I'm a pretty devout, you might even say traditional Christian... but I'm not really the preachy type. I don't get into the "all non-Christians are going to hell" "all atheists are evil", "all Muslims are terrorists" or perhaps worse and certainly more confusing "all people not within my specific sect of my religion are going to hell" crap. It's more, ask me and I'll tell you anything you want to know, point you to my resources, or ask someone who knows it better or can better explain it to answer you. IF you ask.

But I know plenty of people who do. My BFF was only ever allowed at my church for a spaghetti dinner or other activity like that because her parents would never allow her to even explore anything else.

My aunt and uncle think I'm going to Hell because I'm not Pentecostal

I knew a girl who was staying with a friend and the friend's family kicked her out just because she was Wiccan...

What is this hate? How does someone become so closed-minded that they forget the one thing all faiths have in common? Kindness.

These generalizations and snap judgements get us nowhere. I for one am sick of it.
Your question is a deceptively complex one, I'm afraid, and impossible to really put down in a forum post.

What I will say, though, is that almost all religions are inherently fascistic. That doesn't mean all the believers in these religions are fascists but it does mean that the construct for fascism exists within the belief system itself. It exists within the holy books, their churches, and their pastors.

Religion is also inherently absolutist and authoritarian. Religion is led from the top down starting with a dictatorial god down to the clergy down to lesser clergy and finally to you as you sit in the pew. Protestants will often skip the "lesser clergy" but the result is still the same. There are no votes in religion. It is not a democratic system. God never offered anyone a vote nor did God ever ask humanity what WE wanted. No, not once. Ever. Instead, we are told via the holy books what to do -- and by golly you better do it (or not do it) else face the wrath of God through the clergy.

And whenever you have an absolutist, fascistic, authoritarian system that believes their god is the ONLY god -- and if that system has a mandate to spread across the globe (i.e. go out and conquer) you're going to cause hatred, mistrust, suspicion, bigotry, and phobias about those who worship differently or worship no god at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality