Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date/marry/raise a family with someone not of your faith
Yes 23 50.00%
No 16 34.78%
Date only 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahOrBust994 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure about my own views on this topic. For me it would be a difficult decision, probably more difficult than most people in America expect it to be for themselves or for others. It's not that I'm a closed-minded person or anything like that, I'm not. However, I've dated two guys before, neither of whom were of my own faith and that...wasn't really an issue when I was 15, 16 yrs old, when I was still figuring out what I believed in, my own beliefs were not by any means fully formed at that time. But now, now that my beliefs and attitudes about religion, morality, and things like that are more solidified and especially as I'm at a point where I have to look at the men I choose to date as possible husbands. I'm realizing that I need someone who is going to share my beliefs and worldview and who will support me in that.

Of course whether or not a person struggles with this is going to depend on just how important their religious beliefs are to the way they live their lives.

So I'm interested in other thoughts on this?
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It was essential to me that I marry someone within my religion, and I did. 25 years later, hubby is still a believer, while I no longer subscribe to that religion or any other. We're still happily married and raising our kids together.

People change. The best laid plans get derailed. But you can still make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It was essential to me that I marry someone within my religion, and I did. 25 years later, hubby is still a believer, while I no longer subscribe to that religion or any other. We're still happily married and raising our kids together.

People change. The best laid plans get derailed. But you can still make it work.
Opposite of you; 25 years in and wife still has religion and I don't. We are still married and raising kids. Happily? Not so much.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
In my dark-years, when I was single (being single is not why they are the dark-years) and dating, I dated only fellow fundie women. I HATED IT! All they wanted was to be waited on and provided for. I was longing for the day when they would or might make their own decision and so some independence. (though I went to some great drive-in movies--not that I can tell you what the movie was about).

Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
Opposite of you; 25 years in and wife still has religion and I don't. We are still married and raising kids. Happily? Not so much.
Very sorry to hear that, CarvedTones.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Do NOT take this as a criticism, Carved. Try to see it as a possible insight as to where the problem actually might lie. A lack of happiness is usually because one or both parties are totally focused on what THEY want and need to the exclusion of what their partner wants and needs. Just saying.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Do NOT take this as a criticism, Carved. Try to see it as a possible insight as to where the problem actually might lie. A lack of happiness is usually because one or both parties are totally focused on what THEY want and need to the exclusion of what their partner wants and needs. Just saying.
I have been told directly in very specific terms that this issue is the problem. Is it an excuse? I can't say for sure. It is the reason I am given.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I have been told directly in very specific terms that this issue is the problem. Is it an excuse? I can't say for sure. It is the reason I am given.
Depends on how the two of you are approaching each other about the issue, I would think, and what motivation is behind how you each communicate. It's the underlying emotions tied up in one's beliefs that can cause the problem, more so than the beliefs themselves, aisi.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Yes. I've known couples who were of different beliefs. They've had successful, happy marriages and raised great families. Their love for each other is greater than the artificial barriers we construct because of religion.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Many years ago I met this young woman who I found to be very beautiful and very interesting, we were both from different ethnic backgrounds, her being of Pennsylvania Dutch and German ancestry and myself of Native American and Irish. She was sort of a halfway believing Christian, she didn't much go to church and I didn't have any belief in Christianity to begin with, I was raised according to the ancient customs of my people. 40 years later we're still married and have three children and four grandchildren. Religion has never been a subject of discussion between us, she knows my cultural beliefs and spirituality and accepts them and I accept whatever belief she may have and the same holds true with our children and grandchildren. So it seems to work between us, we have learned tolerance and acceptance without being judgmental.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Depends on how the two of you are approaching each other about the issue, I would think, and what motivation is behind how you each communicate. It's the underlying emotions tied up in one's beliefs that can cause the problem, more so than the beliefs themselves, aisi.
I will say that I once believed it was likely that our relationship would survive this. She wanted time to reconcile her own feelings. But as days became months and then years without the wall coming down, I now feel like we are just waiting for the kids to finish school, living apart in the same house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality