Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:20 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The Bible is nonsense and was not God inspired.
What is it with all this all-or-nothing thinking that seems to pervade the forum? The Bible contains nonsense . . . true. The Bible contains inspirations from the consciousness of God imperfectly and ignorantly interpreted by primitive minds with little knowledge . . . also true. The consciousness of God is only detected by intuitive and non-verbal right brain processes which are notoriously unreliable.
Quote:
I have real issues with the word God since it has been distorted by humans.
Agreed. But it nevertheless encompasses the ubiquitous scope and power endemic to the Source of everything that exists.
Quote:
The Islam God and the Christian God are the most disturbing examples of how humans have distorted the image of what many call God. Thankfully no such Gods exist.
In their current savage and barbaric beliefs about God, I would concur that no such God exists. But the Christian God properly understood as agape love itself, does exist. I have encountered it.
Quote:
Possibly what many refer to as God is the naturally occurring good energy/life force energy/light energy/unseen energy/cosmic energy/ in our Universe.
There certainly is a lot of unseen energy all around us and all throughout the Universe.
Not just possibly . . . that IS God. Our God's consciousness is the source for the unified field that establishes our reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:55 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The consciousness of God is only detected by intuitive and non-verbal right brain processes which are notoriously unreliable.
Where do you get this from?

Quote:
Agreed. But it nevertheless encompasses the ubiquitous scope and power endemic to the Source of everything that exists. In their current savage and barbaric beliefs about God, I would concur that no such God exists. But the Christian God properly understood as agape love itself, does exist. I have encountered it.
To hell with the Christian God that was created solely by barbaric Iron Age limited minds. Properly understood?

Exactly what have you encountered that you refer to as God? I also have encountered many things that some would interpret as God. I am wise enough to not limit myself to the man created concept and choose to view it in another light.

Quote:
Not just possibly . . . that IS God. Our God's consciousness is the source for the unified field that establishes our reality.
Quite an assumption I would say.

Prove it otherwise.

I think many people limit themselves to what we experience simply as a man created concept of God. Our reality is not established by any such thing.

You can't speak for everyone's realty...only your own.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
What is it with all this all-or-nothing thinking that seems to pervade the forum?
Check your own. You had one experience - likely while dreaming - many years ago and you went for the all or nothing conclusion it was a meeting with a conscious god.

Quote:
The Bible contains inspirations from the consciousness of God imperfectly and ignorantly interpreted
You have some evidence that a consciousness that was not human in some way communicated parts of the Bible to a consciousness that was human? Lets hear it. You just called the claim "true" so I trust you have some evidence for this claim.

Quote:
The consciousness of God is only detected by intuitive and non-verbal right brain processes
Ah right - so what form does this transmission take - what are the exact receptors in the brain - their location function and names please - how have you detected these communications and identified which parts of the brain receive them. How does the reception of them manifest at the level of the brain - and where do the signals go from there and how are they processed.

I am sure you have a basis and evidence for all this stuff - can't wait to hear it.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:

Why waste time trying to sort out the utter rubbish to find the spiritual lessons when there are plenty of other very beautifully written spiritual books out there that have no rubbish to sort through?
what are the titles please? so that others may benefit

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
What is it with all this all-or-nothing thinking that seems to pervade the forum? The Bible contains nonsense . . . true. The Bible contains inspirations from the consciousness of God imperfectly and ignorantly interpreted by primitive minds with little knowledge . . . also true. The consciousness of God is only detected by intuitive and non-verbal right brain processes which are notoriously unreliable. Agreed. But it nevertheless encompasses the ubiquitous scope and power endemic to the Source of everything that exists. In their current savage and barbaric beliefs about God, I would concur that no such God exists. But the Christian God properly understood as agape love itself, does exist. I have encountered it. Not just possibly . . . that IS God. Our God's consciousness is the source for the unified field that establishes our reality.
Quote:
Where do you get this from?
To hell with the Christian God that was created solely by barbaric Iron Age limited minds. Properly understood?
Exactly what have you encountered that you refer to as God? I also have encountered many things that some would interpret as God. I am wise enough to not limit myself to the man created concept and choose to view it in another light.
Quite an assumption I would say.
Prove it otherwise.
I think many people limit themselves to what we experience simply as a man created concept of God. Our reality is not established by any such thing.
You can't speak for everyone's realty...only your own.
I get it from my experiences in deep meditation and forty+ years of study attempting to explain it to my intellect. What my detractors call confirmation bias. It is based not merely on the spiritual fossil record but solid science. While my hypotheses are not yet validated by science . . . they are completely consistent with extant science. So they are more than assumption.

I understand your disgust with the Bible God, especially the one portrayed in the OT. The savage and barbaric beliefs of our ignorant ancestors have corrupted Christ's revelation about our God's TRUE NATURE. Sadly the religions have perpetuated the ancient ignorance instead of illuminating Christ's revelation.

I speak for no one but myself. My efforts here are to clarify and explain my views, defend them, and let everyone form their own conclusions. I am not a proselytizer.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
I get it from my experiences in deep meditation and forty+ years of study attempting to explain it to my intellect. What my detractors call confirmation bias.
So it appears the evidence for the two very outright and very specific claims above which I requested is not going to be forthcoming then? Hardly a surprise.

Yes confirmation bias is a perfect label - let us call a spade a spade here. You had an experience or set of experiences - or at least you claim you have as we can not verify this at all but lets run with it - which many others - myself included - have also had.

Then in a complete feat or non-sequitur you simply decided that this experience was a god or some external consciousness that is not human. And then you have spend decades of confirmation bias justifying that decision to yourself.

Quote:
It is based not merely on the spiritual fossil record but solid science.
Except you have presented no such science - let alone solid. Where science fails you you simply bridge the gaps with weak analogies. Please however - by all means - present the "solid science" that demonstrates the universe itself is conscious - or that human consciousness survives - or continues on after - the death of the biological brain.

Failing that I am afraid simply declaring your own position "more than assumption" does not magically make it so - and assumption is exactly what it remains.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Spiritual fossil record?

Seriously? What is that?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Spiritual fossil record? Seriously? What is that?
I understand it to mean the memetic equivalent of the biological fossil record. That is going through the fossils of dead religions and dead gods, and observing the evolution one sees there. And we genuinely can observe things like that. We can observe the Selection of some concepts over others, some surviving and being reproduced, some dying off, in much the same ways as you would if you did a linguistic fossil record for example.

New Agers of course use it as a fancy way of saying that the progression and evolution of religious thought and ideas is actually a progression ongoing towards Truth (tm) and that this progression of thought is somehow magically evidence that there actually is a god.

What it actually is is just a nice example of Evolution with Selection in memes rather than genes. Ideas or claims that convince more people and/or compel them to reproduce and spread the claim.... will survive and perpetuate better than those that do not. And so we can go over this "spritual fossil record" and observe in it the evolution of new and interesting ways that religious memes manipulate and parasite the host and then perpetuate them.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
^ Interesting.

It sounded like it was 100% New Age mumbo jumbo.

I have heard the religion-virus analogy. If I remember right, Dawkins was the first to come up with the idea.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:32 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
This is interesting. I read Joseph Campbell's "Myths to Live By" several years ago and one thing that jumped out at me was the similarity of the stories between cultures that don't seem to have had contact. The theories around that usually go in the directions of:
  • There is something to it
  • There was contact we didn't realize (like Egyptians sailing to South America)
  • The roots are a lot more primitive than we usually acknowledge
But the idea that the ones that take root do so because they evolve toward a formula that "sticks" is not one I had heard or considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality