Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yes, Kat, but with due respect to your faith one of the practices I disagree with by Mormons is that only titters may go into "Tabernacle" services while everyone else ( including titters if they wish) goes to regular community churches. That kind of separation, based on percentage of income given, is not much different than the old Catholic method of separating people by selling indulgences to those who could afford it.

I have great respect for the disciplined lives many Mormons adhere to. But like most religions at some point it comes down to some arbitrary division of people--for whatever reason---and it's not something that sits well with me.
That word in the above quote should br T I T H E R S!!! This blasted IPad sometimes uses smart spell to spell improperly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:15 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
That word in the above quote should br T I T H E R S!!! This blasted IPad sometimes uses smart spell to spell improperly!!
Don't worry about it. I knew exactly what you meant.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're on the right track, Warden, but I'm going to correct you on a few things, none of which may change your mind about any of this. First, it's temple worship full tithe-payers can participate in, not tabernacle. Mormon churches are open to everyone, tithe-payers and non-tithe-payers, Mormons and non-Mormons. That's where we hold our regular Sunday worship services, and it's where we all gather to worship and to learn about our Savior.

Mormon temples aren't even open on Sundays, and they are not used for regular worship services at all. Unlike our regular churches, they are places where only those who have demonstrated their willingness to live their lives according to a particular standard of worthiness are allowed. In other words, you might think of a temple as sort of an “institute of higher learning” with respect to spiritual knowledge. Not all baptized Mormons are committed to living up to the required standard of obedience that entrance to the temple requires. All Latter-day Saints are encouraged to strive for that level of commitment. The payment of tithes is only one requirement of about a dozen that a person must meet in able to be permitted to go to the temple and it's the only one that has anything to do with money.

Finally, while the Church encourages all of its members to pay tithing, members know that the Church will be there for them with financial assistance when needed. As an example, if someone were unemployed and receiving a unemployment check of $1500, he would be asked to pay $150 in tithing. That may seem unreasonable until you realize that, in order to receive far more than $150 worth of food for his family, all he would need to do is explain his need to his bishop. His bishop would prepare a food order and he would take it to one of the Church's food stores where he would be able to get all of the food his family needed -- free of charge. Plus, as long as he was physically capable of working, he'd be put to work there as a volunteer, and the Church would try to help him find work in his field.

The result of all this is that he is able to contribute to the needs of the Church by his $150 tithing payment, he has fulfilled the requirement to be able to go to the temple, he has food for his family while retaining his pride and work ethic in knowing that this is not a dole system, and he is likely to end up with a paying job in the end.

I can appreciate that. There are actually a few things about Mormonism that don't sit well with me either.
Thanks for the education on proper names for Mormon religious institutions. While I was composing that in the wee hours of the morning the name wouldn't come to me--I could only think of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir which my wife and I had the pleasure of seeing a few years ago here in Denver. Hence my mistake.

And I apologize for calling tithers by a less than acceptable approbation. But it really was my IPad that made the change to what I typed---as it tried again in the first sentence.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
How passing the plate becomes a 'Sunday morning stickup' - CNN.com

ha! Sunday morning stickup. What an appropriate phrase.

Why do you give 10% to the church?
Is it peer pressure?

When I was in college, I attended a church group for a semester, and my peers were giving money to the church even though they were on student loans and had no jobs.

I gave a few bucks because I ate some of their food
Some people are charitable/philanthropic and altruistic and chose their church as the mechanism by which to give. Others chose the United Way, Cancer Society or any manner of other groups that want their money. Their choice.

Personally I prefer to sleep in on Sunday mornings instead of listening to fairy tales. And keep my money.

What is interesting is that this is typical of CNNs latest attacks on Christian religious people...not that it's anything new.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:46 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
And I apologize for calling tithers by a less than acceptable approbation. But it really was my IPad that made the change to what I typed---as it tried again in the first sentence.
I was just gently yanking your chain, W. It was obvious what happened. And I agree it is far more likely to happen on IOS than in desktop operating systems.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
How passing the plate becomes a 'Sunday morning stickup' - CNN.com

ha! Sunday morning stickup. What an appropriate phrase.

Why do you give 10% to the church?
Is it peer pressure?

When I was in college, I attended a church group for a semester, and my peers were giving money to the church even though they were on student loans and had no jobs.

I gave a few bucks because I ate some of their food
Good article. I will argue with one point in it: I have taken multiple offerings in my church on VERY special occasions. One occasion was a "love offering" that I took that went 100% directly to a couple that had lost their house to a fire. I took a board member with me when we went to deliver it. I told them at the beginning of the service what it was for and let everyone know that it was going to be done. None of the shenanigans the article talked about. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to instruct my 79 year old piano player how to play the creative music that it describes.

As for the special recognition of big donors? I don't know who gives what. I don't care. I have publicly stated that from the pulpit. The exception is when one or two give special end-of-year gifts. One woman owns some land and at harvest time she likes to make an end-of-year gift. It isn't usually placed in the offering plate, but it does appear on the treasurer's report, which is accessible to anyone and is reviewed at board meetings.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I was just gently yanking your chain, W. It was obvious what happened. And I agree it is far more likely to happen on IOS than in desktop operating systems.
Consider my chain properly yanked!!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:45 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
When I was a kid, 50+ years ago the priest would post a list in the back of the church. It had how much everyone gave, even the children. I wonder how that would go over now.

At that time I gave 25 cents a week and a dollar on Easter and Christmas and 25 cents on holy days. My mom gave me the money. I guess she did not want me to be a $2 or $3 a year kid like many were.

It did help increase giving. If you were #45 one year you might increase to get into the top 35 next year.

I still remember the names of the only 2 people that gave over $1000 a year.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
BTW, whatever happened to "God will provide"???? Why do mere humans need to provide if God is so capable of doing so?

Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
I give pocket change. If I have it. If I believe in the message.

I also give to random ppl begging to money. If I have change.

I don't use checks, and I don't use the ATM. I can only give what I have on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality