Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:35 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Confidence in Religion at New Low, but Not Among Catholics

This Gallup poll has a little bit different perspective, and discusses the confidence Americans have in religion. To no great surprise it is declining in all sectors, except with Catholics.

I would suspect a lot of that had to do with the popularity of Pope Francis, who has turned the Catholic Church upside down, and in a good way. The Pope has gained the respect of many, including non believers, because he is addressing issues that should have been addressed decades ago.
And another thread by you cherry-picking the small population of the U.S, and noting declines...while ignoring the large population areas like China that gain 4to5 times more than the losses in all other places. This results in less Atheists and more Religious that exist in this world overall.
But your severe Godophobia and Religiotosis afflictions keep you from being able to face the REALITY of the Way the World Really Is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:49 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And another thread by you cherry-picking the small population of the U.S, and noting declines...while ignoring the large population areas like China that gain 4to5 times more than the losses in all other places. This results in less Atheists and more Religious that exist in this world overall.
But your severe Godophobia and Religiotosis afflictions keep you from being able to face the REALITY of the Way the World Really Is.
And here you are again, right on cue. Defending religion against atheists (without being religious yourself) must be some kind of Pavlovian response. Do you have your smart phone rigged to alert you whenever atheists argue a point that you don't like?

Because you SURE as hell never argue for atheists against a point Christians don't like. No matter WHAT it is.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:55 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:

So why would you bring up China, when this report is clearly about the United States?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
But why is belief in Christianity falling like a stone in rich well-educated countries like Europe and the USA, and rising in poor uneducated ones like Africa, China, and the other poorest parts of the world. Studies show a direct correlation between poverty and ignorance and acceptance of Christianity, along with an abandonment of it where wealth and a university education are present.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
And here you are again, right on cue. Defending religion against atheists (without being religious yourself) must be some kind of Pavlovian response. Do you have your smart phone rigged to alert you whenever atheists argue a point that you don't like?

Because you SURE as hell never argue for atheists against a point Christians don't like. No matter WHAT it is.
Just stating facts.
My personal opinion: The Chinese would be better off without organized religion. I think the whole world would be better off without any organized religion.
But I wasn't arguing "my opinion"...I was noting what the "Reality of The How this World Really Is".

And your contention isn't true. I agree with Evolutionary Theory...and have always stated that. I also have no problem what-so-ever (beyond my own strong personal preference otherwise) with someone that chooses to be bi or homo or wants to get hitched to someone of the same gender....and have always stated that as well. Those are two Fundie Religious strongholds I have always stated my position against.
Your critique of me isn't just off base...it is outright false. What's up with this stuff you are saying Shirina?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So why would you bring up China, when this report is clearly about the United States?
To note the greater truth...so some might not be mislead to believe that what is happening in the U.S. is indicative of what is occurring overall. A caveat you always fail to note.
Just trying to provide ALL the facts. Something I see you, et al, try to avoid...so as to delude yourselves to the fact that overall things are going the exact opposite of what is typically noted.
You want the FULL TRUTH to be put out, don't you?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But why is belief in Christianity falling like a stone in rich well-educated countries like Europe and the USA, and rising in poor uneducated ones like Africa, China, and the other poorest parts of the world. Studies show a direct correlation between poverty and ignorance and acceptance of Christianity, along with an abandonment of it where wealth and a university education are present.
Your argument is bogus.
China (where the largest gains from Atheist to Religious are) is #1 Worldwide in education...the U.S. lags faaaaaaar behind them.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
To note the greater truth...so some might not be mislead to believe that what is happening in the U.S. is indicative of what is occurring overall. A caveat you always fail to note.
Just trying to provide ALL the facts. Something I see you, et al, try to avoid...so as to delude yourselves to the fact that overall things are going the exact opposite of what is typically noted.
You want the FULL TRUTH to be put out, don't you?
The full truth exactly what I stated in the OP. The Gallup poll discusses only the United States, so to throw a red herring in of China and then trying excuse that by saying it is the full truth, is blatantly dishonest.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:32 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Citation required.

Near as I can tell China is currently a country of 1.3 billion citizens with, charitably, a combined official and unofficial count of Christian citizens of 0.05 billion (50 million) according to this 2013 Christianity-biased article. It may be that this has exploded in recent years but I can't see it taking much of a chunk out of losses elsewhere.

I would be interested to see credible statistics of the actual hard numbers of net gain in Christianity in China but my guess is that such numbers would be difficult to come by, although if there are reliable official stats you can roughly double them to get an idea of what is really going on.

I've seen Christians cite China (without specifics) many times but it is more of a vague claim leveraging China's huge population numbers -- which as I've demonstrated above don't really help much when Christians are such a small percentage of the total population.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:37 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Not in my area it seems. Many new Churches have popped up in the last 10-15 years with some of them looking to expand their current size. We also have some mega-sized Churches that are relatively new & some that are older.

Also is the reason why some Churches struggle to stay afloat financially. Too many Churches=not enough members attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality