Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:43 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

You go to CARM and ask Matt Slick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 02:45 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Cults use manipulation to recruit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
such as your soul will burn in hell if you don't..........
Exactly right.

Both Christianity and Islam have historically used this tactic.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
how do you differentiate between a cult and a religion? between cult thinking and spiritual guidance? between a cult leader and a helpful presence? how does a person stay safe and discern between these?

This came up on another thread, and bears exploring.

thank you everyone for your insights and contributions
To me, the main thing that distinguishes a cult (particularly a dangerous cult, since technically, all religions are cults), is that a cult will attempt to isolate its members from people on the outside. It will also try to prohibit its members from reading any non-approved reading material, etc. It all gets down to control and a lack of freedom of thought.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
A cult is the one that you can see is spewing out foolish misrepresentations and nonsense. A religion is the one spewing out foolish misrepresentations and nonsense that you happen to subscribe to.
Exactly right. My religion is obviously The Truth, the other guy's religion is obviously a cult.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There is a specific definition for cult when it is used as a Theolory term. Actually it has no specific definition but all cults have 6 Characteristics in common. It requires all 6 to be considered a cult. All Releigions and even non-Religious organization will have some of these Charecteristics

Six Sociological Characteristics of Cults
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod has all 6 of those characteristics.

What's your take, Pleroo?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Exactly right.

you know what I find interesting, is that if a religion of some type, whether it be Christianity, Islam,or some other type of organized religion, if it's supposed to be so good for you why did they use the fearful tactics to make you become a member and then use the same tactics to keep you as a member. I have been approached more times than I can count throughout my long life to convert to one religious belief or another and because I have decided not to, I have been condemned by the same religions, which is fine by me, because I don't believe in whatever type of punishment they may have for my spirit.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
A cult is not a cult without cultists. One can identify a cultist by the way he/she expresses their beliefs at others and have 'rule-sets' to determine exactly what to 'look for' when doing so and their methods of 'discernment' are heavily biased in relation to said beliefs.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
Exactly right.

Are you a Jew by any chance Freaky?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There is a specific definition for cult when it is used as a Theolory term. Actually it has no specific definition but all cults have 6 Characteristics in common. It requires all 6 to be considered a cult. All Releigions and even non-Religious organization will have some of these Charecteristics

Six Sociological Characteristics of Cults
Sensible parameters.

Too soon etc.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times
Quote:
A cult is just a small religion.
This is a critical point.
Not all, but many mainstream religions started off a cult.
It is only when they manage to obtain a large number of followers that they are regarded as a religion.

Religion is a very loose term but for our purpose I would define religion as proposed by Ninian Smart,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninian...ns_of_religion
and adding the critical existential dilemma.

Cults are similar to religion as defined in above but on a smaller scale/model.
Those cults [re religiosity] with more than 50,00 to 100,000 followers could be considered as a religion. Those with less are also discussed as religion but one need to note the context.

Last edited by Continuum; 06-19-2015 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality