Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If you want evidence, go spend time with a hospice nurse. The vast majority will tell you that they have witnessed supernatural events.

But you can't present evidence to people who have a deeply ingrained need to reject Christianity. It would take something phenomenal to get an atheist to lower their biased shields. I believe that atheists don't truly want evidence. They want a Christian to show their cards so they can tear it apart immediately.
Sorely tempted to tear apart your hospice nurse claim because I have met several and never heard any such stories related. I don't have any deeply ingrained need. Questioning what someone posts publicly is very different than badgering people who are private about their faith.

EDIT - to be fair, the hospice nurses I have met were/are caring for non religious family members and may have become reserved about sharing anything spiritual. But that is still a statement that cries out for verification. It's a "dashboard dog" statement that people will hear and just nod their heads in agreement to without much thought but if you do think about it, well...

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-22-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Some Christians claim they have evidence that the deity and an afterlife exist. However, when asked to reveal it, they fail to do so. WHY?
Why, the bible tells us so..what more evidence do we need...

Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The universe exists. That's enough evidence to point to a creator for it.
Reminds me of a great elementary book i read to my kids--

EVERYONE POOPS....here is the MOVIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhbxpuBi-HU

Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
If one's faith is more than academic there is plenty of evidence to Gods intervention with those that love HIm.
I cannot help that so many have baised ther faith in hearsay, rather than seeking God with all their heart ,turning from self govern, to God govern , but never the less , God does show Himself with healings and mirricals from every direction.
But no matter wht evidence I have shared, athiests choose to call me a liar .
So let me give you this , there will come a time God will no longer be patient with man's wickedness, and withdraw His spirit from this earth .
Though men repent, there will be no more mercy ,and you will see what life is like with out His intervention.
Currrently God responds when those the Love Him seek His mercy and intervention.
Several years ago a serious fire was threttening our valley in Big Bear lake California. Evacuation was called and every one left but a small group of believers that stayed and prayed .
Unbeknowsed to them, the fires crews had drawn their last fire line, knowing that if it didn't hold the winds that were expected would blow it over .
This is summer time mind you, and the fire had already trveled from Arrow head across the back side of the mounitan range ,
when frorn the west a cloud system drifted in and snowed on the fire putting it out.
I have a few times asked God to stop rain and for rain depending on the need . I primarily want God's perfect will , But often times He does me favor ,just to show me that he cares about me.
I have seen God's hand of healing in my self and others through out my life ,both emediate and over time ,issues modern medicine has a hard time with .
I am often given names of those that I do not know and pray for them , knowing the result is not necessary , it is an act of obedience . That is what is expected out of believers ,obedience .
Something a non born again, non spirit filled person can appreciate nor perform.
You are stubbern and want God to prove Him self to you , You are the INFERRIOR, that should be proving your self to HIm.

Last edited by arleigh; 06-22-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If one's faith is more than academic there is plenty of evidence to Gods intervention with those that love HIm.
I cannot help that so many have baised ther faith in hearsay, rather than seeking God with all their heart ,turning from self govern, to God govern , but never the less , God does show Himself with healings and mirricals from every direction.
But no matter wht evidence I have shared, athiests choose to call me a liar .
So let me give you this , there will come a time God will no longer be patient with man's wickedness, and withdraw His spirit from this earth .
Though men repent, there will be no more mercy ,and you will see what life is like with out His intervention.
Currrently God responds when those the Love Him seek His mercy and intervention.
Several years ago a serious fire was threttening our valley in Big Bear lake California. Evacuation was called and every one left but a small group of believers that stayed and prayed .
Unbeknowsed to them, the fires crews had drawn their last fire line, knowing that if it didn't hold the winds that were expected would blow it over .
This is summer time mind you, and the fire had already trveled from Arrow head across the back side of the mounitan range ,
when frorn the west a cloud system drifted in and snowed on the fire putting it out.
I have a few times asked God to stop rain and for rain depending on the need . I primarily want God's perfect will , But often times He does me favor ,just to show me that he cares about me.
I have seen God's hand of healing in my self and others through out my life ,both emediate and over time ,issues modern medicine has a hard time with .
I am often given names of those that I do not know and pray for them , knowing the result is not necessary , it is an act of obedience . That is what is expected out of believers ,obedience .
Something a non born again, non spirit filled person can appreciate nor perform.
You are stubbern and want God to prove Him self to you , You are the INFERRIOR, that should be proving your self to HIm.
You've learned causative relationships by correlation alone. The technical term for that is Magical Thinking.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Magic is deception,God does not decieve.
Isn't it interesting that the athiest falls back on luck or cercumstance and chooses not to recognize mirical.
Even though it comes in the time of need .

Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM

689 posts, read 494,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Magic is deception,God does not decieve.
Isn't it interesting that the athiest falls back on luck or cercumstance and chooses not to recognize mirical.
Even though it comes in the time of need .
The evil deity, if it exists, is the master of deception!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That isn't evidence. Those are stories.

If it can be torn apart immediately, then it isn't evidence.
No, they are experiences. The problem is atheists have narrowed the parameters for what you define as "evidence" to such unrealistic proportions that it would be simply impossible to prove ANYTHING in life under such constraints. The only way is it torn apart is because you have blanket explanations that you force fit into every example. For example, if I present documented evidence of cancer immediately disappearing in a person as a case of healing, you will simply say so what cancer has been known to spontaneously go into remission. Present documented verified accounts of a supernatural experience gets a response like so what, psychological studies show that this is just the brain on flight or flight mode.

I'm done playing the evidence game with atheists.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:29 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
If you want evidence, go spend time with a hospice nurse. The vast majority will tell you that they have witnessed supernatural events.

But you can't present evidence to people who have a deeply ingrained need to reject Christianity. It would take something phenomenal to get an atheist to lower their biased shields. I believe that atheists don't truly want evidence. They want a Christian to show their cards so they can tear it apart immediately.
As I stated in another thread in response to this same claim by you,

I got to know a hospice chaplain just recently, who realized that he was an atheist with help from our critical thinking group. He is now a member of the Clergy Project. He was a hospice chaplain for over 20 years and realized that nothing supernatural was involved in the death process, that prayers were never answered and that nothing resembling a soul was ever evident. He was not a nurse and was called in when death was imminent, nearly always watching the person take his/her last breath, and he saw NOTHING supernatural. Your anecdotal evidence is weak at best.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:34 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
No, they are experiences. The problem is atheists have narrowed the parameters for what you define as "evidence" to such unrealistic proportions that it would be simply impossible to prove ANYTHING in life under such constraints. The only way is it torn apart is because you have blanket explanations that you force fit into every example. For example, if I present documented evidence of cancer immediately disappearing in a person as a case of healing, you will simply say so what cancer has been known to spontaneously go into remission. Present documented verified accounts of a supernatural experience gets a response like so what, psychological studies show that this is just the brain on flight or flight mode.

I'm done playing the evidence game with atheists.
You too could be a millionaire.

The Million Dollar Challenge - JREF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality