Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 02:06 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

I'd been studying the golden age of spiritualism (1850-1920) when hundreds of books were written about spirit visitations, mediumship, the afterlife, etc and was somewhat sold on the possibility that what the authors were saying was true, but then I read something by Andrew Jackson Davis, one of the "fathers" of the movement and it totally made me think "This is just a lot of bunk, much like the stuff the Bible preaches."

Specifically, Davis speaks of a spiritual island in the afterworld somewhere called Akropanamede (no doubt an invention of his own fevered imagination). I was willing to give much of what he had to say in it a guarded pass until I read the following:

Quote:
Birds of the most celestial song, and with plumage of the simplest beauty conceivable fill the isle's fragrant air with a mournful melody. The saddest-singing bird is called Quarreau, a native of the planet Mars but brought here by the inhabitants of this Isle who frequently visit the living population there [Mars]
Well, Davis of course was writing in 1880, quite a while before Rover had a chance to get up there and tell him Mars is nothing but the biggest red golf sand-trap in the planetary system. Supposedly, this info about this glorious isle [shaped like a pear and about 20x's the size of Africa so the ocean surrounding it has to be as big as Jupiter] was conveyed to him by spirits, so you can't even trusts spirits to give you accurate info anymore.

Anyway, I've pretty much deleted all the pdf's of these classic books on spiritualism. Far as I'm concerned there's only one type of proof of an afterlife that holds any promise and that is accurate reports that people give while clinically dead of what was going on around them while they were in this death state. This is the thinnest veneer of evidence [actually, the only anything that can pass for evidence of an afterlife] and scientists are now beginning to study NDE's in earnest to see if they can find any empiric evidence in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeM4m_4dWeA [Life after Death Proved by Scientists?]

What the scientists are saying is that they think they've proved that consciousness survives immediate death but that, like a flashlight left on, that consciousness gradually fades and then blinkers out.

Everything in religion is taken on faith. We actually have no certainty of anything except death and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
I haven't read those books, but my only wonder is if you have misquoted those sources and come up with some crazy ideas that are not supported from them, as you so often do with the Bible.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I haven't read those books, but my only wonder is if you have misquoted those sources and come up with some crazy ideas that are not supported from them, as you so often do with the Bible.
Lol ... ask some spiritualists, I'm sure they will say he's doing exactly that.

And when you reject spiritualism they will claim you're doing exactly that.

It's how religious belief-systems work; always special pleading for YOUR beliefs and holy book.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:26 PM

No, I copied it verbatim out of his book. Check the link. The link will take you to pg 426. It's on pg 427, 5th line down:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9i...namede&f=false

Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What the scientists are saying is that they think they've proved that consciousness survives immediate death but that, like a flashlight left on, that consciousness gradually fades and then blinkers out.
Is it the consciousness which flickers out, or our ability to detect it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We actually have no certainty of anything except death and taxes.
Many don't pay taxes, and death is not a certainty for all, because we can't predict
with absolute provable conviction that the Second Coming won't happen within the
lifetimes of ppl alive today, or any other drastic elimination of death won't happen
some other way. Heck, we don't even know if time or even distance is just an illusion.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Is it the consciousness which flickers out, or our ability to detect it ?
I don't think even the scientists know. It's all faith-based.

Quote:
Many don't pay taxes, and death is not a certainty for all, because we can't predict
with absolute provable conviction that the Second Coming won't happen within the
lifetimes of ppl alive today, or any other drastic elimination of death won't happen
some other way. Heck, we don't even know if time or even distance is just an illusion.
I cannot argue with that, snowball.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:49 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Many don't pay taxes, and death is not a certainty for all, because we can't predict with absolute provable conviction that the Second Coming won't happen within the
Now what if the Jewish Messiah comes along and does all that he is supposed to do to be recognized as the Messiah?...Then what?...The world trudges on for another 20 or 30 years and you are here to see it...Then what will you say?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality