Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:30 PM

67 posts, read 149,068 times

Advertisements

What if the energy on this planet never goes away?
energy being human, animal, plant any type of life form with consciousness
of existence, and once that form dies it's energy just goes to the next life form
available.
Is this to far fetched or could their be a possibility?
Would explain some reincarnation stories

Any thoughts or theories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Not sure what your question really is.

Throughout the universe, not just here on earth, energy is neither created or destroyed. You ingest something else's life energy every time you eat something and then you convert that energy to your own use. Some of that energy is used by the brain to produce thoughts and emotions. Some of it is used by your GI tract to produce poop. When you get the energy, your body doesn't differentiate between consciousness energy and poop energy. It's all the same stuff.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:45 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Against TOS for this forum.

Not about atheism.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Against TOS for this forum.

Not about atheism.
This is the main forum not the specific one. But you raise an interesting point - I don't believe in God but some reincarnation stories do give me pause and I do sometimes wonder whether or not there is more to consciousness than we realize. Does that make me a bad atheist?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
This is the main forum not the specific one. But you raise an interesting point - I don't believe in God but some reincarnation stories do give me pause and I do sometimes wonder whether or not there is more to consciousness than we realize. Does that make me a bad atheist?
It was first posted in the atheism forum and moved here.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:25 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBeachRon View Post
of existence, and once that form dies it's energy just goes to the next life form
available.

Any thoughts or theories
Are you talking about real energy or New Age energy?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
available.

Any thoughts or theories
Yeah, it's a possibility.

Life is rife with them.

That's one.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Throughout the universe, not just here on earth, energy is neither created or destroyed. You ingest something else's life energy every time you eat something and then you convert that energy to your own use. Some of that energy is used by the brain to produce thoughts and emotions. Some of it is used by your GI tract to produce poop. When you get the energy, your body doesn't differentiate between consciousness energy and poop energy. It's all the same stuff.
I a sense you are correct . . . it is all various manifestation of field usually as energy/mass. But the consciousness energy is different in that it does not reside in the physical body and has a composite character we experience as our Self. This composite accumulates over our lifetime and is not recyclable . . . that we know of.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I a sense you are correct . . . it is all various manifestation of field usually as energy/mass. But the consciousness energy is different in that it does not reside in the physical body and has a composite character we experience as our Self. This composite accumulates over our lifetime and is not recyclable . . . that we know of.
True, this is an idea that many people hold. But there is no evidence to support it.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
available.

Any thoughts or theories
Typical confusion of energy with specific configurations of energy and matter. Energy is not destroyed but particular forms ARE destroyed. When you die every atom of your body continues to exist but is no longer organized in the form people recognize as your body. If you don't believe me, next time someone dies in your family, don't bury the body. Just leave it on the couch. You'll get the point in a few days at most.

If this is true of the body there is zero reason to think it isn't true of the mind. All available evidence points to consciousness requiring a healthy biological substrate as a precondition of its existence.

Our tendency not to want to accept the fact of our own mortality is an artifact of our survival instinct and our tendency to confuse our thoughts and feelings with our sense of self, which creates a powerful confirmation bias that there 'must' be 'something more'.

While afterlives / reincarnation / rebirth narratives can't be (dis)proven (just like unicorns and leprechauns), I prefer to base my life choices on what is knowable and substantiated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality