Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Except that other religions also recognize the 10 commandments.
Which ones?

Buddhism? Hinduism? Shinto? Zoroaster? Druids? Wiccan?

It don't those count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 06:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Ouch! I think that was an attempt at an ad hominem.
No. An ad hominem is an inappropriate attack on a person's character in order to divert the conversation from the argument. If I were to attack you and call you stupid, or say that you had no credibility because you beat your wife, that would be an ad hominem attack. Pointing out the fact that you ignore arguments that you have difficulty addressing is perfectly reasonable and designed to highlight your bias.

Quote:
Maybe Judaism. So what? The 10Cs are widely accepted as Christian, promoted by Christians, are a central tenet of Christianity, and are a quote from a Christian book. Any resemblance to other religions is superficial, and even if you were to stretch and agree to that, still promotes a bias against the non-religious.

I answered your question about how the 10Cs benefit Christianity. Are you going to continue to avoid my point, or are you going to concede a benefit to Christianity?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
fedz need to stay out of state business. But this is one area that it is ok. do not waste money removing the old stuff, but we are not allowed to put up new ones. that simple.
By this measure, it shouldn't be there at all. Last year a car ran into the origional, and smashed it. The guy was drunk and as its near the state house, it stopped his car from running into the building. The building is a hundred and the state is putting a bunch of money into refirbing and repairing so it will continue to stand. If the car had hit it it might have taken down a wall. So now we know why it was there.... but by the above standard the new one should not have been allowed.

Oklahoma faces a satanic monument next to it if they claim it is okay since it was paid for by an individual and donated. The paperwork is already filed. I'm sure they'd persue it too. I'd LOVE if the sanctamonious believers had to pass a dedication to Lucifer to have their momument. But that it was paid for by an individual is why Texas kept theirs. The OK legistlature are considering changing the law so its legal but its a LONG process.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:54 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Thanks for admitting that this statue is religious in nature rather than a secular display.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I must correct you. It is the Wiccan Rede. We don't take oaths unless we are sworn into office, the military or something.

Cat
I dunno about that...I've been known to swear an oath or two when I hit my hand with a hammer XD

Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I dunno about that...I've been known to swear an oath or two when I hit my hand with a hammer XD
"Goshamickledicklepickle Geewillywobbles and Rowrbazzle?"

Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
broke 9 out of ten of them myself. "murder" has to be defined a little better, sometimes its the price of living a certain life style. past lady lib's understanding. lmao, like thats hard to do once we hit the eighth grade ...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Goshamickledicklepickle Geewillywobbles and Rowrbazzle?"
Precisely

Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
broke 9 out of ten of them myself. "murder" has to be defined a little better, sometimes its the price of living a certain life style. past lady lib's understanding. lmao, like thats hard to do once we hit the eighth grade ...
You forgot that if someone gets angry, the they commit murder in God's eyes anyway.
And if someone lusts for another woman, then they commit adultery by proxy as well.
In that event most us, myself included, have broken ALL the 10 Commandments.
On the OP, it is over 2 years old now, but the removal of religious items for secular laws is over the top.
This is like Evangelicals asking for statues to be removed in predominantly Catholic countries, because it offends their beliefs and different 10 commandments.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
You forgot that if someone gets angry, the they commit murder in God's eyes anyway.
And if someone lusts for another woman, then they commit adultery by proxy as well.
In that event most us, myself included, have broken ALL the 10 Commandments.
On the OP, it is over 2 years old now, but the removal of religious items for secular laws is over the top.
This is like Evangelicals asking for statues to be removed in predominantly Catholic countries, because it offends their beliefs and different 10 commandments.
Not really. If the Constitution of a country says, "thou shalt not mix yer religion with gubermint" than that is the way it is. Anything that looks like government, smells like government or is government can not have any showing of any religious preference of any sort.

Kind of make sense to me, and I like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality