Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm Tired of the gay marriage threads!
Yes 18 35.29%
Yes, but I still think gay marriage is evil. 9 17.65%
No 12 23.53%
No, because we must talk about it in order to help others. 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverEN View Post
Your freedom of religion stops where it violates my rights.

If I owned a restaurant, and you came in, and I had seen you in the news spouting your anti-gay views, and then I decided not to serve you because I was offended, then I'd be breaking the law. For the record, I would serve you because I wouldn't use my business to discriminate.
And because you would be obliged to serve the public without regard to your personal feelings about individual members of the public. Because if you did you would be attempting to control others ... which is rightly forbidden by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
How foolish a statement. If I were a prison warden opposed to the death penalty and was required to do so by court order what do you think would happen to me if I refused? I'd be fired.
What does that point have to do with gay people forcing themselves into Christian organizations? All you did was describe someone who took a job knowing the job requirements and then complained about the job requirements. Awful comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

As a citizen amongst the 40% who oppose the death penalty I am denied the right to sit on a jury of any homocide where the death penalty is up for consideration. Should I pout and cry that my rights AND the rights of the person being tried are undermined? I am a citizen and anyone being tried has a right to an impartial jury. How can a jury made up of those who support the death penalty be impartial? Should I insist that I be seated because MY rights are being violated.

Your position is inexcusable in terms of obedience to the law. Because the death penalty is supported by 60% of the people in the nation! the courts have determined I am unable to serve on juries where the death penalty is involved. My moral ethic is suppressed too.

Guess what. Live with it or move to Uganda.
This is still America and we have the right to protest laws that we feel are unjust. Telling me to deal with it or leave the country is arrogant, anti-American, and narrow minded.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM

42 posts, read 40,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
And because you would be obliged to serve the public without regard to your personal feelings about individual members of the public. Because if you did you would be attempting to control others ... which is rightly forbidden by law.
Yes, exactly!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
I'm tired of it because everyone's just repeating the same opinion over and over
again in multiple threads.
I would support a boycott/moratorium on the SSM threads.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I'm tired of it because everyone's just repeating the same opinion over and over
Boycott away. No one is forcing you to click the thread.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
And yet here you are....

Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,814 times
There are gays who think that the whole thing is a sham where those couples wanting what the law gives to the religious are just sell-outs.

Marriage is a sham - a thing which people believe somehow consecrates and celebrate their union.

It is just a legal document. It has no power to make people love. Indeed it simply gives them legal right to enforce their possessive confused natures. It is a delusion to think that getting married somehow puts it out there that you are celebrating LOVE.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Would you have made that same argument when sodomy laws existed? Don't like the law, well don't have sodomy! I don't care what the law says.
Clearly not, you have made it clear on many occasions you care little for the law and feel that you and others should be made exempt from parts of it for no other reason that what religious club you have joined.

But I at least have the courage of my convictions even if you do not. And I advocate following laws while working to have the struck off.

Quote:
And you seem to think Christians should just light switch off their faith and beliefs as soon as they enter the business.
Yes, if their beliefs require that they break the law then they either need to switch them off at the door, or go out of business or get prosecuted. Their choice. But when they make that choice, lets not whine like you do when the law reacts accordingly.

Quote:
No one should be punished for simply not wanting to violate their moral convictions.
No they should be punished for breaking the law, regardless of the reasons. No one but you appears to be buying the propaganda spin you are putting on this.

Quote:
And that's what we are doing. First discussing why we feel the law is wrong and a violation of freedom of religion. But your side doesn't want to listen. You want to shut down discussion by just saying it's the law, follow it.
That is an outright and blatant lie from you. I have informed you on many occasions that I disagree with much of the law and would like to see it changed. So no, no shutting down of discussion there at all. You are just pretending conversation is being shut down to feed your ongoing false narrative. We NEED discussion on these laws, very much, but while it IS law.... follow it.

But time and time again you are not whining about the law, you are whining about the fact Christians are not exempt from it. Special pleading and the idea that you want one rule for you and yours, and one for everyone else, is what permeates every post you spew.

Quote:
Telling me to deal with it or leave the country is arrogant, anti-American, and narrow minded.
That is rich coming from the guy who copped out of replying to my posts by declaring them irrelevant due to my not being an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality