Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yet the baker SAID that they would not make any wedding cake for a same sex wedding.

But I'm sure you know more about what the baker meant than they do.
And that is different than simply baking a cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then I suppose before the US government decided to make sexual orientation a protected class, you would make the same argument, right? That it would be perfectly fine and just to refuse to do anything for gays because they were not a protected class. Hey it's the law.
The US government did not include sexual orientation to protected class, the STATE of Oregon did. In many states businesses can still refuse service to gays, including my state. Maybe the bakery should move to one of those states.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Come to think of it...since Viz and Jeff and the Sweet Cakes fundamentalists won't bake a cake for gays....because they've decided gays are sinful fornicators.....do they bake wedding cakes for Catholics? Or Buddhists?

How about it Viz? Tell us, Jeffy. Do the Buddhists get a wedding cake? Or is that condoning sin in your world?
More diversion tactics, I see. Why can't you keep the topic on baking a cake for homosexuals? You don't have much of a counter argument if the only ammo is to try and paint the bakers as hypocrites. It's still their religious beliefs and the government violated the 1st amendment. Do you believe the 1st amendment is an important right? After all, it is #1. Apparently you think our freedom of religion should end the moment we walk out of the church doors.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
The US government did not include sexual orientation to protected class, the STATE of Oregon did. In many states businesses can still refuse service to gays, including my state. Maybe the bakery should move to one of those states.
Or maybe their constitutional right of religion should not be stepped on.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And that is different than simply baking a cake.
If I walk in and order a wedding cake that is white, with 3 tiers, and topped with flowers, and another person walks in and orders the exact same cake and is denied. What is the difference?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
La Quinta is as gay as Palm Springs.
I've driven past a few of those in Pennsylvania, but they didn't look gay to me.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Or maybe their constitutional right of religion should not be stepped on.
And as has been shown repeatedly in many cases "religious beliefs" do not trump generally applicable laws.

But as long as you are in support of ALL religious beliefs being able to trump any laws, then ok.

I just started a new religion, it holds that speeding is godly, raising pigs in residential neighborhoods is required, taxes are not to be paid, and Fundies do not deserve the same rights that I have. Good to know that you will support my "religious belief" and will back me in violating any laws that run afoul of my beliefs.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:10 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Then I guess you are perfectly fine with your state laws. It's the law!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
And the wonderful loving tolerant gay community decided to make death threats against their family. From my perspective, that's a deep level of hatred to actually post that you want to kill a human being especially children regardless if the threats were sincere or not.

Oregon ruling really takes the cake -- Christian bakery guilty of violating civil rights of lesbian couple | Fox News
Part of the reason that the fine was so high was because these "Godly" bakers posted the gay couple's contact info, including address, on FB which resulted in them receiving all sorts of threats.

Oregon bakers weren’t fined over cake — they were punished for sharing lesbian couple’s home address

Sweet Cakes by Melissa Didn’t Just Deny a Lesbian Couple Service, They Also Doxxed Them and Their Kids

Old 07-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Then I guess you are perfectly fine with your state laws. It's the law!
No, but I am not violating the laws while working to get them changed like the bakers did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality