Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 03:27 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry. That was an inside joke. Explanation: La Quinta is a town next to Palm Springs, CA. Both are very gay-friendly.

(La Quinta being less up-scale. There was a joke about it on Modern Family. A character, Pepper, who is a total snob, worried that he'd be stuck in La Quinta for the weekend. I always wonder if those jokes go over the heads of people outside of CA.)
Well, it went over mine.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well obviously they have some kind of legal ground to fight this otherwise a lawyer wouldn't take the case.
Ahahaha, thanks for the laughs.

I thought you were in law school?

If you truly believe that lawyers never take cases they think they can't win you're dillusioional. Especially if it's a high profile case they can use to get their name out there, in the media and on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, it went over mine.
No worries. I can also explain the jokes on Blackish.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That isn't what happened in this instance. They asked for a wedding cake to be provided in order to have a same sex marriage ceremony.
No they asked for a cake. The baker asked for the names of the bride and groom, he was told that it was two brides.

The cake is not needed "in order to have a same sex marriage ceremony". In this case the cake was not even to be served in the same state as the marriage ceremony. The cake was for a reception.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So, as I said...it wasn't just ordering a white 3 tiered cake, was it? Nor did he identify her as she walked in and refuse to do business. It had nothing to do with her personally--it was all about the product that was requested of him, and the event that he was requested to facilitate and participate in.
Bakers do NOT "facilitate" weddings and they do NOT "participate" in weddings.

Bakers sell cakes.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Bakers do NOT "facilitate" weddings and they do NOT "participate" in weddings.

Bakers sell cakes.
The weasel-wording is likely courtesy of Matt "The Oil" Slick - jeff and Viz' go-to god-guru.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Again, the issue is NOT the decorations. The issue is SIMPLY baking a CAKE with NO decorations.

BUT YES, a baker dos have to do a cake for a nazi, without the decorations or insignias...

Just posting to make sure YOU know the real issue and will no longer throw the herrings out inthe conversation that are irrelevant...
Fair enough about the decorations.....

Yes, a baker should have to bake a cake for a Nazi, just like a baker shouldn't be able to refuse service just because someone is gay. Even these bakers said they wouldn't deny service just because the customer was gay if they wanted something like a birthday cake.

But the issue becomes a little different when you take in to context that the cake was for a gay wedding.....

These bakers weren't discriminating against a gay customer, they were refusing to be a part of a ceremony that their religion tells them is sinful.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If you want to test someone's honesty ask an honest question. Your points have already been covered. Making a question and asking for aa yes or no but loading the question is not honest.
So I take it you're refusing to answer my question.

It's the same issue.

If a Christian baker has to bake a cake for a gay wedding, than following that reasoning to it's logical conclusion, a black cake maker should be forced to participate in a KKK rally by baking a cake for it.

Drawing a distinction between the two exposes your bias.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If they don't sell cakes with these sorts of messages at all then there's no discriminating in not selling them to a particular group. And as you're probably aware the KKK and similar Christian groups aren't part of a protected class so it isn't really comparable to this case.

Any other questions? This is pretty well established case law so you could have just looked up the answer for yourself.
Ok, forget the messages. Let's just say a KKK member comes in to a lack cake maker and wants a plain cake made for a racist KKK rally. Should the baker have to make it?

"Protected classes" are irrelevant, these bakers didn't deny service because the customer is gay, they denied service because they didn't want to be a part of a gay wedding,......

Old 07-10-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If they're asked to produce something that is legal, that they normally sell,
yes they need to provide that. There are segments they can't discriminate.
That's the law.

That's an interesting point. The stars and bars are not an illegal item, so yes, I would believe that's a black cake maker could not discriminate on that basis. It would be interesting to see how such a case would be handled in the law courts
Well at least you're true to your principles, I'll give you that much, even though I don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality