Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM

144 posts, read 184,667 times

Advertisements

To anyone who's changed from one religion to another, why'd you do it? What made you want to convert and how'd you do about doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
To anyone who's changed from one religion to another, why'd you do it? What made you want to convert and how'd you do about doing so?
Because Christianity is true. God moved my heart to believe in the Gospel of Christ.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Because Christianity is false, I moved on to other beliefs that bring me closer to understanding what is true.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:28 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
It was simply a "waking up" out of a state of denial: I finally became fully aware of, and acknowledged to myself, that so much of what I'd been taught by Christianity was self-contradictory and untenable and, in some regards, damaging. I haven't embraced any other religion so I guess I'd have to say I de-converted rather than that I converted.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It was simply a "waking up" out of a state of denial: I finally became fully aware of, and acknowledged to myself, that so much of what I'd been taught by Christianity was self-contradictory and untenable and, in some regards, damaging. I haven't embraced any other religion so I guess I'd have to say I de-converted rather than that I converted.
I was going to say something like this but I don't identify as a convert, but a deconvert, so really the OP is not interested in my response. And I'll be darned to heck (ha) if I'm going to open myself to specious claims that I have faith or a religious belief when in fact I have no faith and decline to believe religious ideation.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I was raised Methodist, but as an 8th grader all the very cool kids
were Catholic...go figure...so my older sis and I attended Religious Instruction and
were baptized Roman Catholic... woo-hoo...stained glass and incense, oh boy!

The highlight, however, was being confirmed, as a freshman now, by Bishop
Fulton J. Sheen...what a radiant man...I still can feel his hands...hadn't
done a day's work in his life!!!
Similar to a banker's....

Oh...and I'm not Catholic now...tho, it is said it is
'an indelible mark on your soul', yeah, right!!!
Too funny!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:24 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
I converted from Christianity to atheism spontaneously when I was 13 years old, for no better reason than it had become clear to me that Christian claims are too silly and full of holes to have any real validity. That was in 1961, and it would be years yet before I even met another atheist like myself. Now I am surrounded by non believing individuals. Believers don't like it, but non belief is rapidly becoming the next big thing.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 07-11-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 12:43 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Too funny!
My late father was from a Catholic family and when he married outside that faith became non-practicing and then later in life an evangelical protestant. His family however was convinced that it was a phase he was going through ... they were still convinced of this when he had been married 20, 30, 40 years ... the mantra I kept hearing was "Once a Catholic, always a Catholic".

It is sort of an inverse back-flip on the no-true-Scotsman, "you were never one of us" argument that has been deployed against me as a deconvert to atheism. It is just that rather than claiming that a former Catholic was a wolf in sheep's clothing all along, Catholics deny that the person changed into a wolf in the first place. In fact they even use the term "lapsed Catholic", never "former Catholic". I call it the Ploy of Inevitability.

Last edited by mordant; 07-11-2015 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 12:53 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I was raised Methodist, but as an 8th grader all the very cool kids
were Catholic...go figure...so my older sis and I attended Religious Instruction and
were baptized Roman Catholic... woo-hoo...stained glass and incense, oh boy!

The highlight, however, was being confirmed, as a freshman now, by Bishop
Fulton J. Sheen...what a radiant man...I still can feel his hands...hadn't
done a day's work in his life!!!
Similar to a banker's....

Too funny!
Did that have something to do with the Bishop's hands?...

Old 07-11-2015, 01:18 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Did that have something to do with the Bishop's hands?...
Miss Hepburn was obviously never a young boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality