Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,267,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Logically, yes. However, if this being is the ultimate creator and creator of logic itself, then this creator would not necessarily be bound by those rules.
So the explanation that a creator must have created the universe can only be understood in an illogical context? That is a pretty bold admission but I believe its an honest one. The argument of the video was that logically a universe that permits intelligent life is unlikely so a creator is necessary. But if the creator can only be understood illogically, then that argument cannot be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,171,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I agree that the idea that something always existed seems unlikely, but wouldn't you agree that it is even more unlikely that this something was organized into a supreme intelligence?
Perhaps from the stand point of person without a religious experience thinking philosophically, it is more unlikely. Although, perhaps with the physical forces being in the right proportion to permit life as evidence for an intelligent designer, I think that designer would have to be supreme, or pretty close to it in order to create and order the universe!

However, the fact that people have believed in a supreme being for thousands of years, had experiences of this being, the improbability that the universe was randomly created, and especially my own personal experiences with this being and the corroboration of my experiences with the Bible, make it seem more reasonable for me to believe in this supreme intelligence.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 PM

366 posts, read 539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Logically, yes. However, if this being is the ultimate creator and creator of logic itself, then this creator would not necessarily be bound by those rules.
Hi AT. I don't know why you say God creates logic. It really doesn't make any sense to me to say that God is not bound by the rules of logic. We could then say that God can create square circles, or suspend the law of noncontradiction or identity. He could make himself both exist and not exist at the same time. Or omnipotent and completely powerless, both at the same time and in the same respect. Is this really what you want to say?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 AM

366 posts, read 539,665 times
Quote:
Accepting that the universe does exist and exist in a way that permits intelligent life, however unlikely, does not require faith because we can observe that it does.
Hi Lucidus. I don't think this is even a point of contention. Who would doubt what you say here? The question isn't "hey, is there a universe that exists and can support intelligent life?" The question is more like: "what's the explanation for this?"

[quote=Lucidus;3532808 We also should not be surprised to find ourselves in a universe that permits intelligent life because that is only type of universe that we can exist in. If the universe prohibited intelligent life then obviously we wouldn't be around to ask these questions.[/QUOTE]

So your argument is that because we can ask questions, we shouldn't be amazed at the incredible fact that we can ask questions? Dawkins says something like this, and I don't see the power of the argument at all. If it has any force, it has it in the context of design arguments; but not (I don't think) against cosmological/first cause arguments. Unless I'm completely missing the point of this sort of rebuttal.

Take surprise and amazement out of it. The existence of the universe cries out for explanation nonetheless. Simply saying that we directly experience the universe (and not God) does not settle this. The fact that we experience the world only supports the claim that there IS a world, but it doesn't diminish the need for an explanation. We all agree there is a world; that's why we're trying to explain why/how it exists.

You could, of course, just say no explanation is needed. But why would that be? THAT needs an explanation.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Perhaps from the stand point of person without a religious experience thinking philosophically, it is more unlikely. Although, perhaps with the physical forces being in the right proportion to permit life as evidence for an intelligent designer, I think that designer would have to be supreme, or pretty close to it in order to create and order the universe!

However, the fact that people have believed in a supreme being for thousands of years, had experiences of this being, the improbability that the universe was randomly created, and especially my own personal experiences with this being and the corroboration of my experiences with the Bible, make it seem more reasonable for me to believe in this supreme intelligence.
Agreed. If you already believe in a supreme intelligence then the idea of a creator wouldn't seem unlikely. But the video argues for a creator based on probability and if you start at a position of maximum ignorance then you would have to conclude that a creator is more improbable than a spontaneous universe because it requires more assumptions. Just to be clear, I am not saying that you are wrong, just that the argument as given in the video is flawed.

As for people believing in a deity for thousands of years, that is true, but it wasn't always the same deity and isn't today. There are many creation myths and I assume that you would reject all of them except one for the same reasons that I reject all of them.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
Hi Lucidus. I don't think this is even a point of contention. Who would doubt what you say here? The question isn't "hey, is there a universe that exists and can support intelligent life?" The question is more like: "what's the explanation for this?"

So your argument is that because we can ask questions, we shouldn't be amazed at the incredible fact that we can ask questions? Dawkins says something like this, and I don't see the power of the argument at all. If it has any force, it has it in the context of design arguments; but not (I don't think) against cosmological/first cause arguments. Unless I'm completely missing the point of this sort of rebuttal.

Take surprise and amazement out of it. The existence of the universe cries out for explanation nonetheless. Simply saying that we directly experience the universe (and not God) does not settle this. The fact that we experience the world only supports the claim that there IS a world, but it doesn't diminish the need for an explanation. We all agree there is a world; that's why we're trying to explain why/how it exists.

You could, of course, just say no explanation is needed. But why would that be? THAT needs an explanation.
The point of this rebuttal is that even if it seems unlikely that the universe should permit intelligent life, we shouldn't be surprised that it does because that is only type of universe that we can find ourselves in regardless of how we came to be there. The video gives three possibilities for the origin of the universe. Natural order, chance, and design, and argues that design is the most likely based on probability. But the fact that we must find ourselves in such a universe regardless of its origin negates that argument.

So to answer the question "what is the explanation for this?" I would say that it could not have been any other way by natural order, chance, or design. I would say that the video fails to make its case that a designed universe is the most likely one, it may have been created by God but that would be a more complex explanation since it requires a supreme intelligence. Natural order and chance are more likely explanations since they do not require this supreme intelligence.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,697,072 times
Quote:
Natural order and chance are more likely explanations since they do not require this supreme intelligence.
So if you found the complete works of Shakespeare on a planet in another galaxy which didn't appear to have any form of life, the most logical explaination is that it was more likely that it is a construction of random atoms arranged perfectly rather than put there by an intelligent being?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,365,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
So if you found the complete works of Shakespeare on a planet in another galaxy which didn't appear to have any form of life, the most logical explaination is that it was more likely that it is a construction of random atoms arranged perfectly rather than put there by an intelligent being?
If you found the book there, then somebody else like you got there first and left it there. That's the most logical explanation.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
If I had the ability to travel to a planet in another galaxy then it would seem reasonable that other people have that ability also so I would think it likely that the works were left there by another person. I think the idea that the works could have randomly arranged themselves would be unlikely, and the idea that a supernatural supreme intelligence put them there would be even more unlikely than that.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM

205 posts, read 373,827 times
your using the faith that comes from god , hoping for things not seen based on a video every man on the earth today are all the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality