Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So let's just let anything go! Mothers and sons, brothers and sisters, people and their dogs, etc. Or maybe we should have some restrictions on it for the good of society?
Maybe we should - but NOT based on the opinions of religious bods who cite the Bible as the basis for social limitations. If we have limits, let them be for good reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Maybe we should - but NOT based on the opinions of religious bods who cite the Bible as the basis for social limitations. If we have limits, let them be for good reasons.
I've not suggested that the Bible be the ONLY reason to define marriage as male/female. Yes--it can influence our thinking, and it is clearly correct in many areas. It can even guide the consciences of voters. But I've never suggested that lawmakers legislate according to it alone.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
I've not suggested that the Bible be the ONLY reason to define marriage as male/female. Yes--it can influence our thinking, and it is clearly correct in many areas. It can even guide the consciences of voters. But I've never suggested that lawmakers legislate according to it alone.
That's the thing, Vizio -- lawmakers should not legislate according to the Bible (or, indeed, any sacred text) at all.

If I am to be judged (in the legal sense), I want to walk into that courtroom knowing that my case will be tried based on the facts, not on the personal opinions of a judge that can't see past his holy book.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
A slippery slope argument that's been brought up a thousand times. Vizio, I'm going to ask you a question, which you'll probably ignore:

Have you suffered, in any physical way, because two random women halfway across the country were allowed to get married yesterday?
I don't suffer when thousands of people die of cancer.

Does that mean we should let them die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I will be right here waiting for rationality and logic to take hold...
Then explain the utility of homosexuality.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Bzzzt!

False equivalence. Homosexuality is not a disease.

Quote:
First, explain the utility of denying Constitutionally-guaranteed rights to part of the population. As far as I know, there has never been any coherent argument made in that respect, beyond 'my religion says it's wrong'.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:

Explain the utiity of two people in their 60s getting married to each other?

The utility of any to people getting married who chose NOT to have children for any reason?

Explain to us the reasoning for denying ANYONE the same rights the rest of the people have?

Explain to me the logic behind christian sharia law and using the bible to control society?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:57 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Except that he affirmed the male/female only marriage of Genesis. Think about it. He had a perfect opportunity to "fix" the notion that it was not for same-sex people. But he didn't. Nowhere in the Bible is marriage shown to be anything but male/female. And Jesus affirmed it.

There is a deafening silence to argue against the idea of same sex marriage.
He had plenty of opportunity to say that it was only for men and women. But he didn't either.

Read carefully.

Quote:
18Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.” 19So the Lord God formed from the ground all the wild animals and all the birds of the sky. He brought them to the manc to see what he would call them, and the man chose a name for each one. 20He gave names to all the livestock, all the birds of the sky, and all the wild animals. But still there was no helper just right for him.
21So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep. While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man’s ribsd and closed up the opening. 22Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man.
23“At last!” the man exclaimed.
“This one is bone from my bone,
and flesh from my flesh!
She will be called ‘woman,’
because she was taken from ‘man.’”
24This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.
It explains the creation of man. It explains that a man gets a partner. It never uses the word "must". It never defines "marriage is a union between a man and a woman." It says that a man leaves his parents, in search of his partner (assumed to be wife). Okay, what about this story from a woman's perspective? She sits at home waiting for a man to come along? Or does she also try to search for a husband? The perspective, as you'll notice is from a single angle, by a patriarchal society that only cares what the guy does. But we don't have a patriarchy anymore, we have a society where people of all types leave to go find love. Omission of other perspectives doesn't mean that all other viewpoints are invalid, it just means they ignored what women/gays/Gentiles did to talk about a Jewish patriarch. And even this wasn't always the case. Ruth followed her husband to his bed, this was a very proactive approach.

So tell me again how this "defines" marriage. This doesn't define anything. There is no should or must here, and it only describes the leaving of one's parents to find love, which in our society both genders, as well as transgender, intersex, and all sexual preferences do.

Feminine and Masculine Energy in Same-Sex Relationships - The Feminine Woman — Femininity - Dating & Relationship Advice for Women - The Feminine Woman

Now, I've got something to say. So shush and listen. There are masculine men, and feminine women. In such a relationship the woman would be the wife. But in a relationship where I am the feminine one, and my girlfriend is masculine, if we got married I would be the "wife." The wife is the one that accepts the role of womanhood for the marriage. Some homosexual men have a clear "husband" and "wife", some don't. Some have both acting the role some of the time, because it is an equal partnership. Some heterosexual couples ignore the husband and wife thing and have the woman keep her family name. Some couples swap periodically. This still holds true. A man leaves his mom and dad in search of his wife? What is a "man" though, and what is a "wife"? Am I a man? I wear dresses, makeup, panties, and heels on occasion. Am I still a man? Would the woman I love still be considered my wife, or my husband?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
If you spit on Gods covenants He will destroy you physically and spiritually He will not tolerate tweaking them! All within range of His judgment whether a believer or those opposed to same sex can and will
Suffer collateral damage even death. The Vail of protection is lifted for a specific time as it was on 9/11.
war and disaster.
Exactly. Do like David and buy a wife with a bag of foreskins and then marry a hundred more women after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality