Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:30 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's an attractive notion because it flatters us to think we can create whole realities just by thinking of them.

I have spent most of my life looking for evidence that reality would conform to my sensibilities and values and it has stubbornly refused to do so. Rather it insists that I adapt to IT. So that is where I have focused my efforts.
It's a shame that you missed the 60's. Right DewDropInn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's a shame that you missed the 60's. Right DewDropInn?
A decade filled with astonishing thoughts and ideas.

Not as astonishing as someone saying the thought of people burning in hell forever gets them through the day (that was a wowser ....whoa!.. talk about someone needing a hug...).....but astonishing.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-24-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I deal absolutely great with the idea that those that go to Hell will be there forever and, as a matter of fact, that's what gets me through the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This troubles me because of what it could mean about the state of your Spirit. The idea of punishment has never been revenge. That is a human invention. It was to teach. It identifies wrong behavior so that right behavior would be chosen. The doctrine of demons about an eternal hell does nothing except exact some incongruous infinite revenge. There is nothing more evil than that, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
We may disagree on a lot, though we probably agree on a lot more. But I appreciate the sentiments here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not as astonishing as someone saying the thought of people burning in hell forever gets them through the day (that was a wowser ....whoa!.. talk about someone needing a hug...).....but astonishing.
I was definitely taken aback by AnywhereElse's admission. It is bad enough to feel that way, but to be proud of it really boggles the mind.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's what conservative Christianity does to a person. It's a bad drug.

Some medieval Christian theologians believed that one of the "perks" of heaven was getting to watch all of the unbelievers being tortured in hell. I think it's in the Summa Theologica, by Thomas Aquninas.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's an attractive notion because it flatters us to think we can create whole realities just by thinking of them.

I have spent most of my life looking for evidence that reality would conform to my sensibilities and values and it has stubbornly refused to do so. Rather it insists that I adapt to IT. So that is where I have focused my efforts.
I would probably be happier if I believed I could create my own reality just by thinking of it. But I have an education in science and engineering. So like you, I have this crazy idea that reality is objective, and is independent of what I think. Reality is what it is, and is whatever continues to exist even when I stop believing in it. Apparently that is a difficult concept for some of the mystical/spiritual types to get. Which blows my mind.

Maybe if I were under the influence of certain substances I would understand how the mystical/spiritual types think.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:27 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I would probably be happier if I believed I could create my own reality just by thinking of it. But I have an education in science and engineering. So like you, I have this crazy idea that reality is objective, and is independent of what I think. Reality is what it is, and is whatever continues to exist even when I stop believing in it. Apparently that is a difficult concept for some of the mystical/spiritual types to get. Which blows my mind.

Maybe if I were under the influence of certain substances I would understand how the mystical/spiritual types think.
You conflate the OP question with matters of the physical world you call reality.

The question is not about the reality of this physical universe and what you believe or don't believe in relation to it.

Your comments really have nothing to do with metaphysical concepts...

I have not meet many mystical/spiritual types who don't get the physical universe and its reality and why they consider there selves to being 'spiritual has nothing to do with denying the reality of the physical universe but more to do with connecting with the agency which they consider to being an alternate reality which is not easily sensed in relation to the physical reality yet seems to be intimately connected to it.

So, how you in your particular position deal with he concept of hell is to simply understand that there is no hell in this physical universe to which people go to for punishment, therefore there is no need to deal with the concept of hell in any concepts of alternate realities, because you can see for yourself that alternate realities do not actually exist.

Thus, bottom line - hell cannot exist.

I am interested though in what you would 'stop believing exists' if indeed it does exist, or for that matter why you would need to believe in something which exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality