Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2015, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 2,643,398 times
Reputation: 481

Advertisements

Whilst the Abrahamic religions are more effective at present, the Main Eastern Religions [e.g. Buddhism] are more advanced than the Abrahamic Religions and thus more relevant in the future.
[btw I have high regards for Buddhist [& other religious] philosophies, but I am not a Buddhist per se]

Why and How?
Within all humans there is the unavoidable inherent existential dilemma or its manifested crisis.
There are three main approaches that humans resort to deal with this subliminal terror, i.e.

1. Religion
2. Non-religious approaches
3. Indifferent to it.

Within the religious approaches, there are two main approaches, i.e.

1. Theistic
2. Non-theistic

The theistic religions can be categorized as

1a. Theistic-prophet based -Abrahamic religions
1b. Theistic-non-prophet based - Other religions

The Non-theistic religion
2a. Self-development philosophies -Buddhism
2b. Others


From the above chart, only category 1a is God-prophet based.
Thus Buddhism categorized in 2a cannot be a God-prophet based religion.


The difference between God-prophet based religions and Buddhism are as follows;

1. The theistic-prophet based Abrahamic religions merely require believers to believe, surrender and submit to God's Will as stipulated in God immutable holy text and viola! one is 'saved' and the existential angst relieved. This really work with real psychological impacts and feeling of security.

2. Buddhism as with other Eastern religion and at its core*, works by self-development in rewiring the believer's brain to deal with the existential dilemma. It is like building the 3 gorges dam to modulate the wild forces of the Yangtze, i.e. developing the appropriate neural inhibitors in one's brain to deal with the primal impulses of the existential dilemma emanating from the basement of the brain.
Since Buddhism-proper is neural based, it is not effective for those above 55 years old when brain plasticity is weakened.
* as a 'side dish' Buddhism do compromise its core principles and practices by accommodating the 'faith' basis for its less capable believers, praying to idols & statutes, invoking the name of Buddha, etc.

Agree/Disagree? Views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2015, 01:16 AM
 
22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Reputation: 18282
i think the most advanced and effective paths are the ones that require a person to focus on our own self-improvement, self-refinement, and character development, growing into the "best self" we can be by taking responsibility for our own thought, speech, and action, and focusing on how we live our own life, instead of telling other people how to live, or blaming other people or blaming society. peace begins at home, in our own heart, in our own life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 11:03 AM
 
646 posts, read 464,975 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
1. The theistic-prophet based Abrahamic religions merely require believers to believe, surrender and submit to God's Will as stipulated in God immutable holy text and viola! one is 'saved' and the existential angst relieved. This really work with real psychological impacts and feeling of security.
This is not a true statement (for Judaism) but in any case I'll take the Buddhist who minds his own business over the proselytizing Christian or Muslim any day.

I only know the basics of Buddhism and compared to the Christian and Muslim teachings (hell, "being saved" etc. seem silly to me) I've read about, Buddhism does seem "deeper" in some aspects. Of course, I wouldn't say the same for Judaism. But, really, whatever works for each individual... I basically agree with that Tzaphkiel said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
689 posts, read 549,371 times
Reputation: 92
Abrahamic religions are about Faith. Faith on the other hand gives a good reason for God hiding behind. The gods of other religions don't actually have a sound reason not showing up in front of humans.

Christianity clearly says that humans will rely on faith in God in a form to be saved. God's showing up in front of everyone thus disqualifies humans' faith to be saved.

On the other hand, if God doesn't show up at all, then humans cannot know who God is and His requirements for humans to follow. The only way which works for a hiding God to instruct humans is that He shows up to the chosen witnesses (such as the prophets) for them to write about Him such that other humans can have faith to believe so to be saved. That's the only way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 05:07 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
1,422 posts, read 950,872 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i think the most advanced and effective paths are the ones that require a person to focus on our own self-improvement, self-refinement, and character development, growing into the "best self" we can be by taking responsibility for our own thought, speech, and action, and focusing on how we live our own life, instead of telling other people how to live, or blaming other people or blaming society. peace begins at home, in our own heart, in our own life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
This is not a true statement (for Judaism) but in any case I'll take the Buddhist who minds his own business over the proselytizing Christian or Muslim any day.

I only know the basics of Buddhism and compared to the Christian and Muslim teachings (hell, "being saved" etc. seem silly to me) I've read about, Buddhism does seem "deeper" in some aspects. Of course, I wouldn't say the same for Judaism. But, really, whatever works for each individual... I basically agree with that Tzaphkiel said.
Actually from all accounts it is true also of Judaism. 613 rules declare as much. Judaism requires believers to believe, surrender and submit to God's Will as stipulated in their idea of G()Ds immutable holy text although one is not spared from the ill fortunes of the world - but Christianity and Islam don't teach such a thing either.

When one is 'saved' it has everything to do with he next experience of the individual after the body dies. This is what really works with psychological impacts and feelings of security. A secure position re 'afterlife'.

None of the three relay clearly represent a definite example of how the beliefs impact positively in relation to this side of life, and planet earth is more the lunching pad to 'new frontiers' both physically and metaphysically.

Still - as the saying goes, "we are only ever half way through the story" and ch-ch-ch changes are always potentially positive.

No doubt there are scatterings of Islamic, Christian and Judaist based organisations which do indeed inject a positive ripple into the world, propelled by their versions of the faiths.

Just not enough that it is particularly noticeable or newsworthy..at present....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 2,643,398 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
This is not a true statement (for Judaism) but in any case I'll take the Buddhist who minds his own business over the proselytizing Christian or Muslim any day.

I only know the basics of Buddhism and compared to the Christian and Muslim teachings (hell, "being saved" etc. seem silly to me) I've read about, Buddhism does seem "deeper" in some aspects. Of course, I wouldn't say the same for Judaism.

But, really, whatever works for each individual... I basically agree with that Tzaphkiel said.
I agree with 'whatever works for each individual' which is the original purpose of a religion in general. There is no issue if the individual were to keep it private and personal to deal with their personal soteriological mission.

The problem starts with the inclusion of evil-laden verses in the holy texts and they are strongly tied with the terms of 'heaven or hell.' This is very obvious with the Quran and its real evil fruits as committed by SOME [note some not all] Muslims.

One critical element of comparison between the Abrahamic religions versus Main Eastern Religion is their focus of neural activities in the brain.

Here is a crude representation of the brain. [it has its limitations in a more refined level but it is sufficient for our purpose]




In terms of core principles and practices [not fringes], the Abrahamic religions focus on the lower Primitive and Limbic parts of the lower brain. This is reflected in its focus on the eschatological and soteriological elements in its holy texts.
The primordial "us versus them" element which is very prevalent in the Abrahamic texts is driven from the primitive reptilian brain.
The focus of the fear emotions re the threat of hell and the need for salvation and eternal life is driven from the mid limbic brain.
The worst of the Abrahamic religions, i.e. Islam is flooded with verses of aggression [primitive brain] against infidels.
In the Abrahamic religions, there is minimal focus in the higher human brain.


On the other hand, the main Eastern religions [note core principles and practices*] focus mainly in the human part of the brain and lesser on the middle limbic and lower primitive reptilian brain.
This is represented by their focus on meditative practices [concentration and mindfulness] based on rational thinking and combined with sufficient doses of empathy and compassion.

* btw, I do not deny the main Eastern religions do not have kindergarten stuffs that activate the mid limbic system as the majority of believers are more active in that part of the brain. The point is these religions has a range of spirituality that stretch to the PhD levels of spirituality which engage more of the higher prefrontal cortex [the human] part of the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 04:00 AM
 
646 posts, read 464,975 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
I agree with 'whatever works for each individual' which is the original purpose of a religion in general. There is no issue if the individual were to keep it private and personal to deal with their personal soteriological mission.
Which is what I am personally doing. It never ceases to amaze me how people get so worked up and angry at each other over their religious beliefs.

I'd have to so much to say about your post, Continuum. You approach things in an interesting way, IMO. I will briefly point out that it seems to me that at least Judaism does have at least some aspect of Eastern religions. Correct me if I am wrong. For example, I am very much drawn to "Jewish meditation" and have several books about this topic. Also, kabbahlah teaches a form of reincarnation called gilgul (though this is sadly not mainstream belief). There might be more. I am not that familiar with what else Eastern religions are all about. I can only say that my approach within Judaism works very well for me, also because I am not having to condemn anybody to hell or belittle anybody for their religious beliefs or lack thereof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Iowa, USA
6,542 posts, read 4,092,732 times
Reputation: 3806
Good effort, but this is a little too simple to be completely accurate.

First of all, Buddhism isn't totally universal. There are several schools of Buddhism all with slight variations. Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic, which is something that makes it quite different form other religions, including religions that are more similar to it. For example, Native American religion did seem very 'self improvement' based. I suggest looking up the Medicine Wheel; it's fascinating. But there are still gods and spirits and supernatural beings of all sorts that are an integral part of Native American mythology.

Buddhism does seem to have the least amount of need for the mythological aspects, but they're still there. It's said that Siddhartha was born with various markings and tattoos on his body to signify he was to bring spiritual change or signify that he'd be a great ruler. This is quite extraordinary in the same way that Jesus was born to a virgin or Muhammad (while alone... just saying) met an angle who revealed what was actually true. The concept of nirvana and reincarnation are just as absent of real evidence as heaven or Genesis are.

Another thing to bare in mind about the Abrahamic religions is how painfully warped they've been from their original source. Which is what's expected. Judaism was the source of both Islam and Christianity, and indeed, they have a very 'this is how it is' way of thinking. However, you assessment of Abrahamic religions is not quite accurate. Judaism really isn't as faith based on Christianity or Islam. The first Evangelists traveled to Europe (who's religion is loosely described as Paganism, to which Christianity and Paganism melted together quite a bit) telling people about heaven and hell and how the only way to be saved was to worship Jesus as the son of God. Islam is similar in this in that the primary goal is to spread Islam over the world (as is the goal of Christianity). Judaism was never quite so evangelical. In fact, it was almost exclusive, as least according to scripture. It spread, but not at all in the same way that Christianity or Islam did.

And going back to Paganism; both Islam and Christianity were molded by the religions of the time. I know more about Christianity regarding this. Christians is celebrated on an already existing pagan holiday; it's got nothing to do with the birth of Jesus who pretty much as a 1/365 chance of actually having been born on the 25th of December. Easter is in a similar boat, as are many of Christianity's traditions. Islam is similar, though to a slightly different extent as Muhammad actually said 'never change what I said' whereas Christianity was open to more interpretation (that's not to say that Islam isn't also open to some interpretation, and indeed it is, but far less wiggle room exists in Islam).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 PM
 
2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Whilst the Abrahamic religions are more effective at present, the Main Eastern Religions [e.g. Buddhism] are more advanced than the Abrahamic Religions and thus more relevant in the future.
[btw I have high regards for Buddhist [& other religious] philosophies, but I am not a Buddhist per se]

Why and How?
Within all humans there is the unavoidable inherent existential dilemma or its manifested crisis.
There are three main approaches that humans resort to deal with this subliminal terror, i.e.

1. Religion
2. Non-religious approaches
3. Indifferent to it.

Within the religious approaches, there are two main approaches, i.e.

1. Theistic
2. Non-theistic

The theistic religions can be categorized as

1a. Theistic-prophet based -Abrahamic religions
1b. Theistic-non-prophet based - Other religions

The Non-theistic religion
2a. Self-development philosophies -Buddhism
2b. Others


From the above chart, only category 1a is God-prophet based.
Thus Buddhism categorized in 2a cannot be a God-prophet based religion.


The difference between God-prophet based religions and Buddhism are as follows;

1. The theistic-prophet based Abrahamic religions merely require believers to believe, surrender and submit to God's Will as stipulated in God immutable holy text and viola! one is 'saved' and the existential angst relieved. This really work with real psychological impacts and feeling of security.

2. Buddhism as with other Eastern religion and at its core*, works by self-development in rewiring the believer's brain to deal with the existential dilemma. It is like building the 3 gorges dam to modulate the wild forces of the Yangtze, i.e. developing the appropriate neural inhibitors in one's brain to deal with the primal impulses of the existential dilemma emanating from the basement of the brain.
Since Buddhism-proper is neural based, it is not effective for those above 55 years old when brain plasticity is weakened.
* as a 'side dish' Buddhism do compromise its core principles and practices by accommodating the 'faith' basis for its less capable believers, praying to idols & statutes, invoking the name of Buddha, etc.

Agree/Disagree? Views?
It's not as simple as this. We have Taoism which is (sorta) into self-development, and has Lao Tzu as its founder or "prophet." Hinduism is also into self-development, but is anything from polytheistic to trinitarian to monotheistic.

Eastern religion does tend to be far less dogmatic, and more into attaining personal growth in this life or over lifetimes. But it is mistake to say that this is wholly the case. Unity church, and some Wicca also has some emphasis on personal growth, as does New Age religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i think the most advanced and effective paths are the ones that require a person to focus on our own self-improvement, self-refinement, and character development, growing into the "best self" we can be by taking responsibility for our own thought, speech, and action, and focusing on how we live our own life, instead of telling other people how to live, or blaming other people or blaming society. peace begins at home, in our own heart, in our own life.
All of that is found in the 8 Fold Path of Buddhism....and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top