Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
45-90. 550 gr Postell's. Malcolm optical sight. "Kah-Thuddo" pretty much describes it, huh?
Always be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
1 Thessalonians 5:2-4 (NIV) for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
The Mayan Calendar ends on that date. According to their holy writ, the Popul Vuh, it will be the end (extinguishing) of the 5th sun. Some take this to mean a symbolic ending as in, an end of an age while others see as it something more ominous - the end of human existence (or much of it) as we know it. It's part of a cycle.

Some say it has happened before and there were survivors who were responsible or all of us being here today. They point to the earth having the residual scars of a tragic upheaval eons ago that brought a previous "Golden Age" to an end. The survivors simply preserved partial memories in what we now call myths.

On December 21st, 2012, there will be some unique alignment involving the earth and sun, one which has not occurred since 240,000 years ago. Some scientists predict this might cause what they call, a "polar shift," which is theorized as an event where earth's poles (north and south) exchange places OR pulled back and then snapped back into place creating a violent upturn of the entire planet.

That the Mayans were skilled astronomers is no secret. That their calendar is more accurate than the ones we use today is also no secret. They charted the courses of the sky with precision, knew of precession and other cosmic events before they occurred is also amazing, but while they predicted something about the winter solstice in the year 2012, the meaning is left up to us to determine.

Your thoughts?

I think things like this are great for movies and great to talk about, but that is about it. Do I think the world will end on that day....No!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine12 View Post
1 Thessalonians 5:2-4 (NIV) for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.
Thief in the night? He'd better not; I keep a baseball bat under my bed...

Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Do I think the world will end on that day....No!
Me neither. But look at the calendar: it's only the summer of 2010. Imagine what kind of a frenzy there'll be right here in this forum when it's November 30, 2012 and we're about to flip the page over to December.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Well, I imagine that this is the kind of thread that will continue until December 22, 2012, at which point we will still be here and then maybe this thread will die or with any luck at all somebody will come back and say that, "we miscalculated"...... and the Mayans had it all wrong, well the Mayans didn't predict it to begin with...

Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
For what it is worth, there is a current council of Mayan Elders whom have survived and have put out information on what they feel is coming. They are due to put out another statement soon, and I am curious as to what they have to say.
As for what has been said, they claim that this is the start of a completely new period in human life. The old will be stripped away in a variety of cataclysms, and what will be left will work to remake humanity in a batter way.
Also, the long calender is over 2000 years long, and is based (as best can be discovered by modern science) upon the length of time it takes for the earth's position in the galaxy to bring us through an entire revolution back to alignment with the galactic center. It is simply a point they decided was important enough to use as a starting point for the renewal of each age. However, they also say that each new age begins with some type of upheaval, and this last one will be monumental.
This is not the first time such claims have been brokered. But this is also not the first time that cataclysms have happened. The event that destroyed the dinosaurs is one example. Another is the ice age. And this is just what we know about. There is more to support the change in poles than most would want to think about, but the fact that humanity has survived over all the ages and cataclysms gives me hope for us all.
At the very least, let us take this date as a time to renew the efforts to change this world for the better, regardless of what happens on December 21st, 2012.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I must say that the term 'fool me once...' is the watchword. The Mayan calendar is a change - ring on the biblical world end handed out like a drunk's promise to swear off it, but the fact is that The Popol Vuh convinces me no more than the Bible.

I am taking bets on the world still wobbling along in 2013. Not money but permanently adding 'I am a gullible buttshaft' to their status.

As for giving this silly claim and certain non even a crumb of credibility by taking it as a time to turn over a new leaf, I regard that as having been ongoing work ever since I turned atheist.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, I imagine that this is the kind of thread that will continue until December 22, 2012, at which point we will still be here and then maybe this thread will die or with any luck at all somebody will come back and say that, "we miscalculated"...... and the Mayans had it all wrong, well the Mayans didn't predict it to begin with...
Ignorance is legion, ptsum . . . and there seems to be no antidote for it.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
It has to do with the planetary alignment. It's an occult date. Yes it does seem to have significance to those in high places sadly.

YouTube - ‪The 2012 NWO Agenda 3/14 (revised version)‬‏
I encourage you to watch the whole series

Light Ministries Prophecy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality