Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 PM

206 posts, read 578,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
So if it's not in Wikipedia or on the Internet, then it can't be true?
That's kind of scary right there.
Sort of like the flip side of "I saw it on TV" or "I read it in the National Enquirer" therefore it must be true.
Yikes.

While not all of the information on the internet is necessarily true, there are a great many respectable sources available over the internet.

Just as the National Enquirer is known for being largely false, there are other newspapers which endeavor to be respectable and present the facts.

The same applies to the internet.

So, when you make a rather bold claim and do not reference it with anything credible, I check that claim against some readily available internet sources which I consider reliable. Wikipedia is a favorite of mine.

So, if you want your claim taken seriously, provide evidence from a credible source. Otherwise I am going to trust the credible sources I can find on my own that say you are making unsupported assertions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 02:54 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I was flipping thru the channels yesterday and of all people, Jack van impee is now selling a book on the theory. They think the world is going to end around that time. I find it very interesting that he is suppose to be a man of god but he believes in a mayan calendar. The problem is that inside the christian community ignorance is accepted to much. Yesterday John hagee was on tv telling people that you do not need to have knowledge about your faith you just have to do what is asked of you. So this shows the state of the church.
shibainu: Sadly, too many people equate Jack "the Ripper" Van Impe (named for his skill at ripping Bible verses out of context) and John Hagee as proponents of mainstream Christianity. They are not. They are deceived deceivers pushing their deceit for monetary gain. Many Christians reject their teachings and find them a total embarrassment!

Preterist

Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
shibainu: Sadly, too many people equate Jack "the Ripper" Van Impe (named for his skill at ripping Bible verses out of context) and John Hagee as proponents of mainstream Christianity. They are not. They are deceived deceivers pushing their deceit for monetary gain. Many Christians reject their teachings and find them a total embarrassment!

Preterist
I agree with that.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I agree with that.
so do I....

Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 PM

463 posts, read 647,046 times
Do you really think a bunch of stark naked savages from a few thousand years ago had the intellectual and logistical capability to predict the end of the world? I digress.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:31 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Do you really think a bunch of stark naked savages from a few thousand years ago had the intellectual and logistical capability to predict the end of the world? I digress.
Change that to badly dressed and you have the basis of modern Western religion.

In any case, I must admit that it does worry me quite a bit. It probably would not worry me as much if I was older, but lets say the world DOES end in 2012- it would end a week before my 25th birthday! I've barely begun to live yet!

I told my boyfriend that it's not my biological clock ticking, it's the Mayan calendar. He thinks I'm crazy. :P Oh well.. its good to be a little paranoid sometimes..

Old 02-10-2008, 01:41 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
Quote:
they where far from naked savages, they built great cities with perfect alignment to the summer and winter soltice and thanks to polution where smarter overall than us, do not mistake the knowledge we have aquired, grown from there discoveries for inteligence. btw , not just a "few" thousand years ago

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
They knew more than you do.
And this post really sounds racist and arrogant.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Default It's the end of the world as we know it....

The end of the Mayan calendar is the end of A world, not the end of The World.

I read a couple of books on it a few years ago:

Amazon.com: The Mayan Factor: Path Beyond Technology: Books: Jose Arguelles
Amazon.com: The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness: Books: Carl Johan Calleman,Jose Arguelles

Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, Nostradamus could predict the end of the world also, and he's not around either.
Wasn't Nostradamus's first end of the world prediction in 1987? Some of you people crack me up. Besides, the Bible says NOBODY but God knows when the world will come to an end. I'll take God's Word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality