Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

It is the end of a cycle, not the end of the world.
There have been magnetic pole reversals before in the history of our planet, and there will be magnetic polar shifts again. That is science and geology, not religious propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Come on people, this is not the end of the world, this is merely the end of the Mayan calendar and nothing more, like I said earlier, the Mayan calendar is a 500 year cycle this is just the end of a 500 year cycle, not the end of the world. There is nothing catastrophic about it, according to the Mayans it will be the beginning of a new cycle and that's it, it happens every 500 years. I find it really interesting that a number of people seem to think that this is going to be the end of the world, the Mayans didn't predict that.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
How many times has the "end of the world" been predicted before? Yet we are still here... None of them are true.

At 1000 AD, people were so sure the world would end, they sold all their possessions and ran ragged around the countryside creating a huge social problem.

There were a bunch of people who thought the same thing for the year 2000. There was that nut group who all committed suicide about then so they could go join the angelic aliens on an asteroid.

As Ptsum said, it's just the end of the calendar, nothing more. Get a grip.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,913 times
I have personally always lived my life in the attitude as if "there is no tomarrow", I would have no control if my life were predestined to end at any point on any present day, it is what I do today that matters most. I think today, I will pray for all mankind to be able to just get along, and feel THAT kind of love, so that no man or woman or child is deprived of that.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
I know this comes from a conspiracy theory website, and isn't very credible, but I thought it fit in so well with this thread.

Source at U.N. tells of secret UFO meeting February 12, 2008

The article says that the UN had a meeting about the recent UFO sightings and that wolrd governments would begin telling people about ET life starting in 2013. If by some remote chance this were true, I think this would fit the bill for the dawn of a new age. Kinda interesting!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 16,450 times
Hello all..this is my first post here, so first off, I'm glad to be here!
Second, I'm so relieved to find some people who believe that this is, yet again, just another Y2K-like instance. I had never heard of this 2012 end of the world thing until this morning when there was a blurb about it on the Yahoo homepage. Not a fun way to start my morning. heh. Anyway, the first article I read was about the change in the Sun's magnetic poles and Saturn and Jupiter aligning. It also contained the fact that not only will the Sun's poles change, but our solar system will be at the bottom of the galaxy's elliptical structure...I don't know. It all sounded pretty convincing and, perhaps those things are true, but the skeptic in me had to wonder: so what? I guess, in theory, the change in the magnetic pull on the Earth could cause catastrophic things to happen ie. earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but would these things really mean that life would be wiped out? Not positively... Anyway, I guess some theories are backed by science, but the truth is, we really don't know what the level of catastrophe, if any, we will see, so...I guess..we just....wait.

Last edited by smurf underoos; 02-25-2008 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-25-2008, 10:45 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf underoos View Post
Hello all..this is my first post here, so first off, I'm glad to be here!
Second, I'm so relieved to find some people who believe that this is, yet again, just another Y2K-like instance. I had never heard of this 2012 end of the world thing until this morning when there was a blurb about it on the Yahoo homepage. Not a fun way to start my morning. heh. Anyway, the first article I read was about the change in the Sun's magnetic poles and Saturn and Jupiter aligning. It also contained the fact that not only will the Sun's poles change, but our solar system will be at the bottom of the galaxy's elliptical structure...I don't know. It all sounded pretty convincing and, perhaps those things are true, but the skeptic in me had to wonder: so what? I guess, in theory, the change in the magnetic pull on the Earth could cause catastrophic things to happen ie. earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but would these things really mean that life would be wiped out? Not positively... Anyway, I guess some theories are backed by science, but the truth is, we really don't know what the level of catastrophe, if any, we will see, so...I guess..we just....wait.
There have been NUMEROUS pole switches and life has continued to exist on earth, both in seas and on land.

Secondly, planetary alignment will have absolutely no impact on the earth due to the significant distances between the bodies there is no functional amount of diffrence between the gravity now and when any bodies align.

People are freaking out, just like Y2K. Calm down, jeez.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 AM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
There have been NUMEROUS pole switches and life has continued to exist on earth, both in seas and on land.

Secondly, planetary alignment will have absolutely no impact on the earth due to the significant distances between the bodies there is no functional amount of diffrence between the gravity now and when any bodies align.

People are freaking out, just like Y2K. Calm down, jeez.
the distances are enough to keep us in orbit and we can find distant planets by there gravitational effects on nearby bodies. Just how much alteration in the gravitational pull would it take to cause stresses on the earth? what will such an alignment do to the sun? could it bring about an increase in solar flares? Many notable scientist are worried, and with the predictions made by ancient civilizations coinsideing with this event it only increases the need for concern

Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
the distances are enough to keep us in orbit and we can find distant planets by there gravitational effects on nearby bodies. Just how much alteration in the gravitational pull would it take to cause stresses on the earth? what will such an alignment do to the sun? could it bring about an increase in solar flares? Many notable scientist are worried, and with the predictions made by ancient civilizations coinsideing with this event it only increases the need for concern
find me some quotes by notable scientists then.

Also, they find planets by either noticing the star light being blocked by a bodie, or they notice a wobble which is caused by an object usually significantly larger than jupiter, and closer to the star than jupiter is to our sun.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 AM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
find me some quotes by notable scientists then.

Also, they find planets by either noticing the star light being blocked by a bodie, or they notice a wobble which is caused by an object usually significantly larger than jupiter, and closer to the star than jupiter is to our sun.
it's kinda gravity 101 all objects create a pull egual to there mass this pull is constant regardless of the mass of the object there pulling on. you should watch the history channel, nova has a few good episodes as well. there are many planets we only know are there because of there effects on planets we can see
btw if you realy want to find teh notable scientist it should be easy enough since they seem to encompass a large portion of astrophysis

Last edited by steffan; 02-27-2008 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality