Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
it's kinda gravity 101 all objects create a pull egual to there mass this pull is constant regardless of the mass of the object there pulling on. you should watch the history channel, nova has a few good episodes as well. there are many planets we only know are there because of there effects on planets we can see
btw if you realy want to find teh notable scientist it should be easy enough since they seem to encompass a large portion of astrophysis
F = GMm/R²

Thus, as distance increases, the amount of gravitational force decreases by the distanced squared.

I want YOU to find me quotes of the notable scientists. You claim that they exists, so I feel you should be able to find some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM

245 posts, read 625,319 times
of course thats one of the ways we can judge the mass of astrial bodies we can not see. and I dont realy care what you want, in fact when you looking up that irrelevent equation you could have looked up the history channel or any site that deals with the subject as well

Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
most humans don't react to externals at all do they. kinda like ants.
I'm different, im taking swimming lessons & buying fins.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Hmm, does anyone else wonder why they have built a massive vault into a Norweigan mountain to contain millions and millions of seeds in case of a global disaster?

Actually there is speculation that the Mayan's actually inherited the 'Mayan' Calandar from an earlier civilization.
The Fingerprints of the Gods is an interesting book, although I think more is known now then when it was written.

The prediction does concern me, although I suspect the earth being hit by something (like in the movie Deep Impact), rather than a polar shift, but who knows.

I think it is almost certain the world has seen disasters in the past which will have wiped out many of early mankind. I do think this is where stories like Noah's Ark come from. There are stories about a great flood from almost every civilisation on earth from the Aboriginies, to Asian cultures to the west.

Makes perfect sense - we know that people were around during the last ice age, and when it ended there WILL have been major flooding and as people used to live close to water for survival it is likely that vast numbers of them were wiped out.

I do think that there is nothing that can be done about it, so I plan to live my life to the fullest for the next several years and wait until after that date to decide whether I want kids (I'll still be young enough - just).
I'll continue to plan for retirement though! : )

Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Hmm, does anyone else wonder why they have built a massive vault into a Norweigan mountain to contain millions and millions of seeds in case of a global disaster?

Actually there is speculation that the Mayan's actually inherited the 'Mayan' Calandar from an earlier civilization.
The Fingerprints of the Gods is an interesting book, although I think more is known now then when it was written.

The prediction does concern me, although I suspect the earth being hit by something (like in the movie Deep Impact), rather than a polar shift, but who knows.

I think it is almost certain the world has seen disasters in the past which will have wiped out many of early mankind. I do think this is where stories like Noah's Ark come from. There are stories about a great flood from almost every civilisation on earth from the Aboriginies, to Asian cultures to the west.

Makes perfect sense - we know that people were around during the last ice age, and when it ended there WILL have been major flooding and as people used to live close to water for survival it is likely that vast numbers of them were wiped out.

I do think that there is nothing that can be done about it, so I plan to live my life to the fullest for the next several years and wait until after that date to decide whether I want kids (I'll still be young enough - just).
I'll continue to plan for retirement though! : )
Or it could be that we keep engineering all our food and have eliminated virtually all diversity, thus increasing the chance of a blight killing off a species of neccessary food crop. Potatoe Famine for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan
of course thats one of the ways we can judge the mass of astrial bodies we can not see. and I dont realy care what you want, in fact when you looking up that irrelevent equation you could have looked up the history channel or any site that deals with the subject as well
Obviously, if you are going to claim something, you could atleast put forth the effort to prove it. By your lack of support for your argument that "Many notable scientist are worried", you have proven to me your lack of understanding of the subject. History Channel is hardly a source for anything scientific, because it's impossible to translate mathematical equations into dumbed down talk without losing a significant amount of accuracy and understanding.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Or it could be that we keep engineering all our food and have eliminated virtually all diversity, thus increasing the chance of a blight killing off a species of neccessary food crop. Potatoe Famine for example.

Obviously, if you are going to claim something, you could atleast put forth the effort to prove it. By your lack of support for your argument that "Many notable scientist are worried", you have proven to me your lack of understanding of the subject. History Channel is hardly a source for anything scientific, because it's impossible to translate mathematical equations into dumbed down talk without losing a significant amount of accuracy and understanding.
oh bull. of course many are worried, would we be near so concerned if they wern't? and the history channel makes use of the most notible, duh, and its seldom that dificult to translate equations into comman language, just ask anyone who studies physics
take a comman equation like e=mc sq (one that I personal believe is inaccurate) it simpley states that matter and energy are the same thing and goes on to descibe the amount of energy it takes to make a partical of matter, simple

Last edited by steffan; 02-27-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: example

Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
oh bull. of course many are worried, would we be near so concerned if they wern't? and the history channel makes use of the most notible, duh, and its seldom that dificult to translate equations into comman language, just ask anyone who studies physics
take a comman equation like e=mc sq (one that I personal believe is inaccurate) it simpley states that matter and energy are the same thing and goes on to descibe the amount of energy it takes to make a partical of matter, simple
You have yet to provide ANY evidence backing up your thought of 'notable scientists' being worried. Of course sheep are going to be worried, they always have been about the stupidest things.

ok take the phrase "it simpley states that matter and energy are the same thing and goes on to descibe the amount of energy it takes to make a partical of matter, simple" and tell me how much energy a 1 kg mass would give me. You cant, because it loses it's value in the translation. You also completely neglected any mention of the speed of light in your supposed language translation that dosen't diminish the equation.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:

Marodi - you think the reason they have created the Doomsday Vault is in case of a potatoe famine? Do you REALLY think a potatoe famine, or any other type of famine would be GLOBAL? Reach from the USA to Australia? Do you know how careful the Ozzies are about what they let into their country? They even spray the inside of the plane (the passengers) when you arrive.

The Doomsday vault woould not be necessary for a blight. If there were that level of global blight affecting food source then would that not in effect, be a world ending event? Nothing to eat would lead to mass starvation thereby wiping out most life on earth.

There really are many viable ways that the human race (and many animal species) can be wiped off the face of the earth. Why are you so certain it can't happen?
Many species have become extinct, there's no real reason why it shouldn't happen to humans.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
You have yet to provide ANY evidence backing up your thought of 'notable scientists' being worried. Of course sheep are going to be worried, they always have been about the stupidest things.

ok take the phrase "it simpley states that matter and energy are the same thing and goes on to descibe the amount of energy it takes to make a partical of matter, simple" and tell me how much energy a 1 kg mass would give me. You cant, because it loses it's value in the translation. You also completely neglected any mention of the speed of light in your supposed language translation that dosen't diminish the equation.
c is the standered symbol for the speed of light. And I didn't put in simple language, where did you get the idea i did? I will though, pay attention Einstein's formula tells us the amount of energy mass would be equivalent to, if you turned it into energy. It says that to find the energy, you multiply the mass by the square of the speed of light, and that speed is 300,000,000 meters per second so for 1 kg it would be 1.0 times 300.000.000 times 300.000.000 so 1kg of mass would be 900.000.000.000.000.000 joules of energy, a joule being about as much energy released when you stomp your foot. and nasa realeased a solar storm warning for late 2011 or 2012, that notable enough for ya?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
steffan,Marodi,Hobokenkitchen, what in the world does any of your statements have anything to do with the Mayan calendar? As previously stated, the Mayan calendar is a 500 year cycle, nothing more nothing less, the particular date of 12/21/12 is just the end of a 500 year cycle according to the Mayan calendar and the beginning of a new cycle, it just so happens that the date is also on the winter solstice which is what their year was based on, why take something so simple and try to complicate it. The Mayans did not predict any kind of catastrophe on that date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality