Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,879 times

Advertisements

Everyone here seems so interested in what is sopossed to happen in the year 2012 I thought someone might be able to help me out with this question I can't quite seem to find the answer to anywhere. A lot of the talk about what is going to happen 2012 has to do with the Maya and their impressions of the Calender Round.
Here's my question:
What exactly did the Maya think was going to happen when the world "ends"?

Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky2020 View Post
Everyone here seems so interested in what is sopossed to happen in the year 2012 I thought someone might be able to help me out with this question I can't quite seem to find the answer to anywhere. A lot of the talk about what is going to happen 2012 has to do with the Maya and their impressions of the Calender Round.
Here's my question:
What exactly did the Maya think was going to happen when the world "ends"?

Help please!
How about nothing at all, you see the Mayan calendar does not predict any "end of the world" the Mayan calendar is a 500 year cycle and on the date of December 12, 2012, is the end of a 500 year cycle for the Mayan calendar this is also the end of the fifth cycle of that 500 year cycle, it is also the winter solstice, which to the Mayans was more important because it is the shortest day, as far as daylight goes, of the year. Now if the world was going to come to an end on that particular date, why hasn't he done it 4 other times before? I can tell you why, the Mayans never predicted any such thing.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
How about nothing at all, you see the Mayan calendar does not predict any "end of the world" the Mayan calendar is a 500 year cycle and on the date of December 12, 2012, is the end of a 500 year cycle for the Mayan calendar this is also the end of the fifth cycle of that 500 year cycle, it is also the winter solstice, which to the Mayans was more important because it is the shortest day, as far as daylight goes, of the year. Now if the world was going to come to an end on that particular date, why hasn't he done it 4 other times before? I can tell you why, the Mayans never predicted any such thing.
I have a text book called The Ancient Maya, New Perspectives. And from this book I can quote
"The origin and end of calendrical time are consistent with the sequence of creation and destruction of the Maya world, as told by the Maya in colonial times in th Popol Vuf and as seen in Classic Maya iconography."
So does this have to do with anything in particular and also then what do the Mayans have to do with any of the predictions of 2012?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky2020 View Post
I have a text book called The Ancient Maya, New Perspectives. And from this book I can quote
"The origin and end of calendrical time are consistent with the sequence of creation and destruction of the Maya world, as told by the Maya in colonial times in th Popol Vuf and as seen in Classic Maya iconography."
So does this have to do with anything in particular and also then what do the Mayans have to do with any of the predictions of 2012?
Nobody knows for sure about the Mayan people or their culture, everything that you read is mere speculation by some professor who claim to be an expert on native peoples, the Mayan culture disappeared long before any of these experts were able to find out anything about them, so the only thing that they can go by is what they left behind and that is up to different interpretations. So what I'm saying is that nobody really knows for sure, the only thing that is known is that the Mayan calendar is a 500 year cycle calendar that is based on the winter and summer solstice and that this is the end of the fifth cycle of a 500 year cycle, in case it's hard to understand it simply means that the Mayan calendar has been around for 2500 years and will continue to be here long after we're gone, everything else is just mere speculation.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Smile But we reject the truly Physical development of Climate.

For the purposes of the End of the World being proven from a physical standpoint, such that we have here the experience of the numbers upon that physical ground, the events of the world cannot go in cycle of anything, cannot continue as before, and we have seiced account for the meaning of certain fields of actioon and reaction in the spheres of the calendar that we can believe about people living and dying and hoping to be reborn.

So I can understand the Mayan Calendar as directing us upon the economics of eternal recession into that formal empty World which suddenly can or cannot go on. Why because we were or were not good people. This does not hinge upon whether we were really good controllers of our fate.

The man deserves to end and the world of his formal conditions because God or some supreme master of everything is no longer the condition of endlessly being bored with our existences.

It is a sudden fortuitous chance to make an exit and all of IT with mankind. Climate change is successfully shown wrong as well.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I believe that the date on the Mayan calendar for the end of the current cycle was 4 Ahau 3 Kankin, which just happens to correspond to December 21, 2012. They believed that the end of this cycle was going to happen in a cataclysm, since expanded by people who probably misinterpreted some of their hieroglyphics to read "end of the world." I myself don't really think the world is going to come to a cataclysmic end on that specific date...but just for the sake of argument, let's say I'm wrong. What are we supposed to do about it?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
For the purposes of the End of the World being proven from a physical standpoint, such that we have here the experience of the numbers upon that physical ground, the events of the world cannot go in cycle of anything, cannot continue as before, and we have seiced account for the meaning of certain fields of actioon and reaction in the spheres of the calendar that we can believe about people living and dying and hoping to be reborn.

So I can understand the Mayan Calendar as directing us upon the economics of eternal recession into that formal empty World which suddenly can or cannot go on. Why because we were or were not good people. This does not hinge upon whether we were really good controllers of our fate.

The man deserves to end and the world of his formal conditions because God or some supreme master of everything is no longer the condition of endlessly being bored with our existences.

It is a sudden fortuitous chance to make an exit and all of IT with mankind. Climate change is successfully shown wrong as well.

You have absolutely no idea of what your talking about do you?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Hee hee hee...good one, ptsum

Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I believe that the date on the Mayan calendar for the end of the current cycle was 4 Ahau 3 Kankin, which just happens to correspond to December 21, 2012. They believed that the end of this cycle was going to happen in a cataclysm, since expanded by people who probably misinterpreted some of their hieroglyphics to read "end of the world." I myself don't really think the world is going to come to a cataclysmic end on that specific date...but just for the sake of argument, let's say I'm wrong. What are we supposed to do about it?
Well Fred, just for the sake of argument, I can't see where there is anything that really could be done, so I would continue to go on with your life just as you are right now...

Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well Fred, just for the sake of argument, I can't see where there is anything that really could be done, so I would continue to go on with your life just as you are right now...
That sounds good. At least for the next four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality