Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 PM

598 posts, read 917,059 times

Advertisements

God exists only in certain people's brains -- it does not exist anywhere else, it does not exist in everyone's brain either.

And there are so many versions of Gods: different cultures have different Gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
effie briest, I'm dead serious.
and today?

may peace and love be with you!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,136 times
I lost my post but it said it was saved; maybe it will turn up somewhere. The G-O-D concept is the absolute (whether there is a god or not). God is absolute because the idea he has of himself IS himself and he himself is the idea for himself (I am that I am, he says of himself)-he exists for himself or, philosophically; is absolute subject. I am referring to the christian as that is what I am familiar with. God is not what he created so he is not available to us as other objects of "reality" (not understanding this is the big failure of modern christianity). You are connected to reality by experience of the senses-mind does not know reality in a direct way, otherwise it would be one with it-to know a rock one would become the rock, so knowledge of it is mediated and the mind forms ideas-your world is that of thought. Ideas are not the same as the real objects-an idea of a car, obviously, is not the car; a lot of people mistake this. The ideas you have of yourself are not yourself. The ideas you have of yourself continually change-these are subject to dialectic; you are continually being reposited and absolute knowledge of yourself (and the world around you) is always elusive. That is the great contradiction in human experience (and causes much psychological drama-HAHA). Jesus said of himself that he IS the way, the truth, and the life. Many christians mistakenly think he is saying here that he brings the truth and etc, if so, then he would have brought metaphysical categories-these would then be subject to dialectic (and this has actually happened). In Jesus the truth and etc is this guy and this guy is these things-so (dogmatically) an absolute is reached in this man (this required bringing in the trinitarian concept into theology). The Jews knew what they were doing when they accused this man of blasphemy and wanted him dead. The problem for mind is to know this man, who is the Absolute and existing for himself rather than metaphysical categories. When mind observes reality it forms ideas and creates theories of why things happen etc. It may see the finite of things (one can not walk through a door) and also the endlessness of things (the stars in the sky). Here a dialectic begins. Some of these things become associated with hiddeness and such (two worlds are available to us; the world of ideas [metaphysics] and the world of the "real"), gods are created and other beings for causes and the like-science attempts to replace these gods with "facts", but facts are ideas derived from observation as well. One's idea of god then, is not the same as a real god because your idea is a different category then an existing god. If the "real" god is unknown, then your idea is merely that, an idea subject to dialectic and repositing.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,136 times
Since the god concept is the absolute, he has true being (it does not matter here if a god exists or not, this is only the idea). Man comes into being and then dies, so man does not have being but what was once referred to as "becoming" or mere "appearance". The atheist then is always a parasite of the god concept because becoming is a lesser category than being-the lesser concept is dependent upon the greater. When the atheist Madalyn O'hare (I might have her spelled wrong) vanished, I heard that her family and friends requested that no one pray for her (ITS A JOKE)!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM

205 posts, read 374,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
God exists only in certain people's brains -- it does not exist anywhere else, it does not exist in everyone's brain either.

And there are so many versions of Gods: different cultures have different Gods.
iam asking you a question k ...wher did this natural desire and need to seek for a higher power originate?..............yet no matter how far man thinks he has progressed,the abitity to achieve dominion and power over life and death on earth still eludes him.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jack View Post
iam asking you a question k ...wher did this natural desire and need to seek for a higher power originate?..............yet no matter how far man thinks he has progressed,the abitity to achieve dominion and power over life and death on earth still eludes him.

Sheeeeeesh. make love, not babies. make-r/s gone ... wild

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jack View Post
IMHO, only those fanatics or hubrists who seek world-wide power and domain over their fellow man, through whatever mystical or forceful means, openly favor and support religion.

It alone has the power to sway the minds of masses of the illiterate and unquestioning. Others, more wary, educated or savy, avoid such entrapments.

So I ask you, mr jack, regarding your quoted "ability to achieve dominion and power over life and death on earth"; who is it exactly that wants this power?

I'd say, as a good example, The Vatican. The Southern Baptist Convention? The Mormon Church? The JWs? IDTs* who troll on forums?

But most certainly not those who simply use the tools of science to advance and disseminate knowledge, freely and openly.

Who else would possibly benefit? Who, besides Christianity, Hitler, Stalin and some Wall Street types, are seeking dominion over all life & death here? Any others come to anyone's minds?

*IDTs: Intransigent Dogmo-Theists

Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 PM

689 posts, read 549,325 times
It seems to me that the points made in this thread can be summarized as,

1. all the points made are out of one's own faith without further support.
For example, "man made God" is a faith statement out of one's own belief.

2. because i speculate all the falsehood such that truth must not exists.
Hmm..which is a fallacy while people love to embrace it.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Interesting statement, but only half of the full statement, let me explain,a couple years ago I was sitting with a group of about 20 individuals and we were talking about different religions and I brought the statement up and asked everybody to think about it before I completed the rest of the statement, now mind you these were people of all different types of religions and beliefs, so now I bring this statement here, but only the first half for now and I welcome all of your thoughts on this. So let the process begin, but let's be respectful of everyone's opinion and thoughts here.

There is only One God. One Way. Man creates Gods, idols - because he has an empty space in his soul. He 'knows' there is more to life than he can seed. He 'feels' there is a god, a being - but where is he? So he DOES invent one. But dear friend, there is but one true God, the creator of heaven and earth - who made himself known to mankind. Jesus.
You don't have to go on looking and searching, for truth, for light, enlightment. Its all in Jesus, who came into this world - to make himself known to the spiritually hungry and lost souls of this earth.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
There is only One God. One Way. Man creates Gods, idols - because he has an empty space in his soul. He 'knows' there is more to life than he can seed. He 'feels' there is a god, a being - but where is he? So he DOES invent one. But dear friend, there is but one true God, the creator of heaven and earth - who made himself known to mankind. Jesus.
You don't have to go on looking and searching, for truth, for light, enlightment. Its all in Jesus, who came into this world - to make himself known to the spiritually hungry and lost souls of this earth.
no offense , but your kinda contradicting yourself.

Your saying that its all manmade except the one you happen to believe in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality