Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Effeee, you impress this afternoon!

I fear though, that, like the Type 930 Porsche in "full boost" clutch release, we're leaving the more hide-bound Christian types, who like to be all warm and snuggly in their simplified beliefs, in a cloud of philosophical tire smoke!
nuh, remember i can be april's fool a bit earlier ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
Default my opinion

I bielieve that man created god(s) in order to keep a somewhat order in the world.. also i believe (cant spell that word right now... lol) but ya i think that man created god(s) in order to have a way out of death so to speak, in the sence that people who bielieve in religion and or practice it whichever u prefer, i think that these such people have fed there heads with the fact that there will be something after their death to look foward to.. i find this as a way out of facing death.. also.. i think that religion has also conflicted the world in a way.. if u think about it... religion is one of the main causes of war that there ever will be.. and i dont bieleve that will change unless everyone beliefs become the same, which i think will also never happen.. i also think that people have made an anthropomorphites out of god i respect all people of all religions regardless if my opinion conflicts with theirs.. i still respect their opinion and am always open for a convo on this subject XD

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,900 times
You all may be leaving the Christian types but as far as I can tell you all have nothing. Some third level something or another that is obviously mind made-not even of pure reason or possibly practical reason and a rifleman who really has nothing to say but seemingly self enclosed comments that contribute nothing. You obviously don't want Christian input even though Christianity assumes a god and that seems to be a concern of this thread-oh, excuse me, this is some thread for mutual admiration of nothingness or perhaps a thread of "only include what suits me." Christian theology has nothing to be ashamed of. Like philosophy it has bad and good but it has very close association with the Western production of philosophical thought until a few years ago, so when you figure out Kant, Hegel and Kierkegaard and in an antithetical way, Heidegger and Sartre and of course Plato and such, then you are at the "anti-climacus" of Christian theology. When one wonders about how one knows god or what exactly god is etc, Christianity has worked on this problem for a long time and into many different directions; yeah, it has a holy book, but who doesn't? Even scientists have their "Origin of Species" and you will find that atheists do to. Most people obviously associate their prejudices of Christianity with the simple impression they get from church or the bias they receive about church from others and the activity of Christians in society (which seemingly threatens their little existences)-that is fine, but that is not the theology that the church has constructed and from which the notion of god is, and where, besides other streams of thought, contributions to these discussions should be derived from instead of smug bigotry (can you imagine if I were to practice this same form of smug thinking with all the rank stupidity of people's modes of behavior and worship practices, including atheists, when attempting to figure out an abstract notion of god? Does anyone think anymore or are they all gentlemen with better things to do?). Christian theological complexity leaves you people for sure, you are not leaving it. That is the usual direction these pages take; a few dominate it with nothing to say except one liners to each other, then about the weather, and then finally nothing.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
I appreciate your engagement. A lot of what I write I may not even agree with myself; but I like to follow the logic as best I can-its like a big puzzle. I loath being told to shut up especially for no reason.
Actually your posts remind me of my dog......When he chases his tail.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
allen antrim: Better to have 'nothing' in the imaginary supernatural realm than 'something'. It always amazes me how put-upon the majority Christians are when presented with any resistance at all. I've got the world's smallest violin and it's playing just for you. Yeah, "Christian theology has nothing to be ashamed of". What is that supposed to mean? I regard Christianity and all religion as an anachronism (atavism) that has outlived its usefulness and is now harmful. Those countries who have nuclear (nucular) weapons to enforce their ancient cosmologies will likely be the death of us all.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
nope, the chicken first then the egg.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nope, the chicken first then the egg.
?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 AM

598 posts, read 916,926 times
- Regarding the question of how humans came about:

[A]. Religion: their God created humans with God's magic fingers. "God did it" explains it -- that's the end of the thoughts on it (as far as "how" goes; there are scripture books of words on "why" with a hidden presumption that humans must be a brainchild of someone's).

[b]. Non-religion: God is a lie -- a human lie. Religious God creators made this lie to control others for political reasons and for monetary profits (go to war for religious reason, make followers pay church, mosque) ... Science is on the non-religion side. Science further explains and explores the idea of how Nature evolves.

A or B? Which side are you on?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
- Regarding the question of how humans came about:

[A]. Religion: their God created humans with God's magic fingers. "God did it" explains it -- that's the end of the thoughts on it (as far as "how" goes; there are scripture books of words on "why" with a hidden presumption that humans must be a brainchild of someone's).

[b]. Non-religion: God is a lie -- a human lie. Religious God creators made this lie to control others for political reasons and for monetary profits (go to war for religious reason, make followers pay church, mosque) ... Science is on the non-religion side. Science further explains and explores the idea of how Nature evolves.

A or B? Which side are you on?
Without question a solid B here.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,501 times
If Man created gods and finally the God of freely decisive tolerant morality, then man has fallen into Sin which realizes the search for what was first in the talented and knowledge about Life.

The Tree of Life which was also in the Garden of Eden is screwed up now!!....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality