Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The post quoted in the Opening Post came from this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/2419096-jew-who-wants-become-christian-but.html

That thread is right here in the Religion & Spirituality forum.
The topic was part of the Judaism forum.
Later the thread was moved to the Religion and Spirituality forum.

I appreciate the moderator stepping in. What's your recommendation: when using someone else's post to start a thread, include their name, or use only the "idea" to keep it neutral? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 05:59 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

I appreciate the moderator stepping in. What's your recommendation: when using someone else's post to start a thread, include their name, or use only the "idea" to keep it neutral? Thank you.
I don't recall any rule about that. I would assume that the same criteria would apply when any post is quoted; that is, that it be an accurate reflection of the original post. We have a forum guideline about altering quoted posts, but people frequently "clip" a post so they only show the part they reply to. That's OK as long as it is obvious what has been done.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What led up to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
The end of hundreds of year of forced seclusion in walled ghettos, assimilation, and the reaction to the reaction of the Enlightenment.
Those would be cogent social factors, but was there no "thread" of thought in Judaism that we could say culminated (insofar as "culmination" is an appropriate word) in Reform Judaism?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Which ones were those then? What is the difference between you idea of G()D and these so-called 'Pagan' ones?

Why is your worship to your idea of G()D not 'Pagan'?

Is the idea that G()D loves all equally, a 'Pagan' idea?

When some use the word 'Pagan' it sounds awfully similar in tone to how the word 'Jude' was used by those who thought very little of those calling themselves such, or how the word 'Goy' in those protocols on how to capture and enslave a world is used.

Some very beautiful souls identify themselves as 'Pagans'.

just sayin'...
Some of my closest friends are Wiccans and from other religions, my whole family is pagan, kids, all of them, I don't see them as going to hell or anything. When people quote scriptures of the kingdom of heaven, they usually don't know that the temple mirrors the kingdom and there are 3 sections. People can speak against the law, they can choose not to keep the law and even teach others to not keep the law and they still aren't going to hell, but they are the least in the kingdom who stand with the sexual immoral, amongst those who love to love a lie.

I believe in the God of the Bible and his Messiah. God has his own worship system with his own Sabbaths and his own feasts that do not involve the worship and traditions of other Gods. He has his own peculiar appointed visitation days when he comes to visit. He has his own commandments.

Tammuz, the Messiah of Babylon has his Sabbaths, and his feast days with his traditions that teach about his resurrection and his return. There are many messiahs around the world, many gods, and if it is not the God of Israel and his worship system, then I basically see it as pagan.

I don't point my finger at them like they are going to hell or something because I don't believe that, but they will not enter into the higher Zoe kingdom unless they reach for it, and reaching for it requires that you abandon and lose your life.{ I don't expect to make it myself, it is the very few, the very extremely few.}

It requires loyalty and sacrifice in that you become peculiar to God and peculiar to the world who will no doubt hate you if you choose to follow God.

But yeah, I believe in the God of the Bible, and he is not of two minds, he has his own worship system and appointed days that do not involve the holy days, traditions, and rituals of other gods.

The first gentiles abandoned all their former gods, all their holy days, traditions, and rituals and they began walking in Pesach.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

I might never have even seen this thread and my name up in lights, but then that is expected when everyone loves you and has a thang. I am already used to it, I got two stalkers across the street now, lol.

Not saying that dude is a stalker, but it did kindly strikes me funny.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Those would be cogent social factors, but was there no "thread" of thought in Judaism that we could say culminated (insofar as "culmination" is an appropriate word) in Reform Judaism?
The "thread of thought" formed as a result of those factors. There most likely have always been "reform" minded people within Judaism, but there was no group, movement, or school that advocated for what we see in the Reform movement until after those "social factors" came about.

The modern movements within Judaism are (historically speaking) very recent, and their causes and formations are easily traced.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Some of my closest friends are Wiccans and from other religions, my whole family is pagan, kids, all of them, I don't see them as going to hell or anything. When people quote scriptures of the kingdom of heaven, they usually don't know that the temple mirrors the kingdom and there are 3 sections. People can speak against the law, they can choose not to keep the law and even teach others to not keep the law and they still aren't going to hell, but they are the least in the kingdom who stand with the sexual immoral, amongst those who love to love a lie.

I believe in the God of the Bible and his Messiah. God has his own worship system with his own Sabbaths and his own feasts that do not involve the worship and traditions of other Gods. He has his own peculiar appointed visitation days when he comes to visit. He has his own commandments.

Tammuz, the Messiah of Babylon has his Sabbaths, and his feast days with his traditions that teach about his resurrection and his return. There are many messiahs around the world, many gods, and if it is not the God of Israel and his worship system, then I basically see it as pagan.

I don't point my finger at them like they are going to hell or something because I don't believe that, but they will not enter into the higher Zoe kingdom unless they reach for it, and reaching for it requires that you abandon and lose your life.{ I don't expect to make it myself, it is the very few, the very extremely few.}

It requires loyalty and sacrifice in that you become peculiar to God and peculiar to the world who will no doubt hate you if you choose to follow God.

But yeah, I believe in the God of the Bible, and he is not of two minds, he has his own worship system and appointed days that do not involve the holy days, traditions, and rituals of other gods.

The first gentiles abandoned all their former gods, all their holy days, traditions, and rituals and they began walking in Pesach.
Beliefs say more about the individual than anything else. Will there be a wall up to separate the favorites from the less favored do you think? Will there be places off limits to those who didn't make a certain grade?

These beliefs are antiquated human created structures reflecting more about those who believe in them than about the true nature of a primordial being labelled "G()D".

However, I don't deny that such places (including hells) might exist and from what I can gather they exist because human beings believe they do, and that is where they (the consciousness of them) go after their body has died. Some call this place of post death existence "The Astral Universe," which is like a vast holding place for souls which have experienced physical life form (not just on earth either) and which have yet to discover the greater truth concealed behind the collective belief systems of biological critters like human beings.

Only...those places are not as permanent as many believe...

Moderator cut: Personal references removed

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-07-2015 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Personal references removed.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
There have been several posts from this thread reported, for a variety of reasons. Cut out the garbage posting. People in the Religion & Spirituality forum may not want to watch videos of nuclear explosions. Moderators don't want to figure out whether a bunch of graphics are your own.

If you have something constructive to say, say it. Leave out the videos, graphics, pictures, links that just say "this" or "here," and leave out references to personal profile pages.

We really don't like closing threads and issuing infractions.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:46 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
That's hugely dependent upon the flavor of Christianity we're talking about. I certainly am Christian, but I don't buy into the notion that every non-Christian burns in hell. As for the Muslims, they've apparently already said their peace on the matter.
Saying that all Jews believe that is just as problematic as saying that all Christians believe in X, Y and Z. It simply isn't always the case. Judaism has a long tradition of thinking and believing that they were a very exclusive and very important club, not so different from your "exclusive club" minded Christians and Muslims. For centuries, a Jew who converted to Christianity or Islam was for all intents and purposes dead to the rest of the Jewish community. It could be readily observed that the one common unifying thread that makes a person a Jew throughout the ages is their faithful rejection of both Islam and Christianity -- a sentiment that continues down to this very day. For example, Messianic Jews are widely viewed as "fake Jews" by the larger Jewish community because they crossed the line and accepted Jesus.

What I think we can all agree on is that the ancient religion of Israel was successful in accomplishing the goal that God gave them: Blessing all the nations of the world with salvation by spreading the knowledge of the One True God. The two largest religions on the planet are successor religions to ancient Judaism. The faithful of all three religions recognize the same Supreme Being. Oh sure, we might disagree somewhat about God is like, but we all worship the God who spoke to Adam, Noah, Moses, Gideon, Elijah, Isaiah, etc. Christians and Muslims owe a lot of gratitude to the Jews for their current belief-sets. My ancestors believed in Odin and Thor and Zeus and Jupiter and the like, but because of the diligence of the Jews I do not. I for one am very grateful to them.
It ultimately gets down to the individual and "G()D." 'the three great organised religions who brought the world the concept of "One G()D" also are guilty of twisting that into something they thought they could control indirectly by controlling what people thought and believe ABOUT that concept.

Their are vaster beings than "G()Ds." But who is to know that while they worship concepts which cloud their understanding and distort their ability to see beyond what is enthroned?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Beliefs say more about the individual than anything else. Will there be a wall up to separate the favorites from the less favored do you think? Will there be places off limits to those who didn't make a certain grade?

These beliefs are antiquated human created structures reflecting more about those who believe in them than about the true nature of a primordial being labelled "G()D".

However, I don't deny that such places (including hells) might exist and from what I can gather they exist because human beings believe they do, and that is where they (the consciousness of them) go after their body has died. Some call this place of post death existence "The Astral Universe," which is like a vast holding place for souls which have experienced physical life form (not just on earth either) and which have yet to discover the greater truth concealed behind the collective belief systems of biological critters like human beings.

Only...those places are not as permanent as many believe...

Moderator cut: Personal references removed
My ideas end with an ultimate goal of you yourself becoming a son of God born from a virgin. The goal is not to get to some lovely place, but the reward is that you are given the same promises as were spoken to the Messiah, that YOU will rule the nations with a rod of iron and this is very specific in that the Messiah rules all nations from within people, not from a throne, and if you are given the same promises, it insinuates that there is a millions earths out there which are inhabited by other people, and like the Messiah, you go down to that earth and show kindness and sacrifice, and you also become a spirit which rules in the lives of an earth.

But that is only reward, I tend to think people have to keep coming back because they keep failing, who knows what's out there, but the kingdom of heaven is detailed within the design and the comings and goings of the Temple itself, and what you find in the Temple is only to shadow what you find in the kingdom of heaven.

The plan that we are given to walk is a 7 year plan walking 3 and a half years in the spring and then 3 and a half years in the fall, and you progress through a stepladder of feast days culminating in the grand reward of receiving the promise on Shemini Atzereth, but if you take away the feast days and the design, you take away everything, you take away all chance of progressing.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 08-07-2015 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality