Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,338,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Real quickly, as I don't have much time today, does Paul ever disagree with the words of Jesus?
I know many say Paul and Jesus differ, however I simply don't see it. However if Paul disagreed with Jesus I would believe Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Romans was written by Paul...You know, you really shouldn't tell me to read anything in the NT, because I know it well...

Tell me, how has the Jew screwed up?...For one, it is the Christians that have strayed so very far from mono-theism...

What do you think Jesus meant when he told his followers to do what the Pharasee tell them to do?...
So what if it was written by Paul, I know you believe his writing are much like the JPS, crap.

You just said that you know the NT well yet you answer is found in Romans 11

why don't you quote the rest of it. do what they say, NOT what they do, but of course it must be taken in context.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:07 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,027,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'm pretty sure my reading of the Bible in two different languages, taking comparative religion courses at university, and having studied various Bible commentaries including one 8 volume set, that I have a reasonably good understanding of local history.
It's a good start, but a larger education would certainly yield a larger picture of the situation. A "good understanding" of Early Christianity does not merely hinge on the letters of Paul. There is much more. It is certainly a curiosity that our earliest canonical Christian writings are from Paul, but he did not write in a vacuum. It is an argument from silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Paul was a great salesman. He was the Joel Olsteen of the first century.
I do agree with you!

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,889,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
I think Christians would do well to avoid what the Pharisees tell them to do. Over the hundreds of years after Christ's death to about 700 AD, the Talmud was compiled by the descendants of Pharisaic Judaism. In this book Christians are called idolaters, worse than Turks, murderers, impure libertines; they are manure, animals in human form, worse than animals, children of the Devil, etc. Catholic priests are called fortune-tellers and bald-headed dunces … the Church is called a house of stupidity and filth; sacred statues, medals and rosaries are called idols. In The Talmud Sundays and holy days of obligation are considered days of perdition.
This book teaches, among other things, that a Hebrew can deceive a Christian and steal from him since all the properties of a Christian are – from the text itself – ‘like the desert, the first to take them becomes the owner'.

You were also taking it out of context but I'll let it slide.

I asked what one thought it meant...

And do you think that the Christians deserve to be seen as such, considering their history?...

Show me where it says this in the Talmud....

Old 08-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So what if it was written by Paul, I know you believe his writing are much like the JPS, crap.

You just said that you know the NT well yet you answer is found in Romans 11

why don't you quote the rest of it. do what they say, NOT what they do, but of course it must be taken in context.
I think that you are dancing around the issue that Jesus did not abolish the Law, in fact he said it would still be in effect 'til heaven and earth pass away...

And the fact that G-d says that he would bless the Gentile that joins himself to G-d and observes the Shabbat...

Old 08-27-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I think that you are dancing around the issue that Jesus did not abolish the Law, in fact he said it would still be in effect 'til heaven and earth pass away...

And the fact that G-d says that he would bless the Gentile that joins himself to G-d and observes the Shabbat...
Huh? what the heck does the law have to do with what we have been talking about? So how the heck can I dance around something we have yet to discuss? Nice try though, now reply to my post please.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,879,239 times
Quote:
Dude the book is full of hatred get one yourself. I'm not gonna spoonfeed you just because you can't believe your precious Jews hate your religion.
I'll be nice.
Have this.

Moderator cut: Hateful link removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-28-2015 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Judaism bashing link removed from quoted post.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Huh? what the heck does the law have to do with what we have been talking about? So how the heck can I dance around something we have yet to discuss? Nice try though, now reply to my post please.
It's relevant...Many Christians state that the Law has been done away with...

Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Dude the book is full of hatred get one yourself. I'm not gonna spoonfeed you just because you can't believe your precious Jews hate your religion.
I'll be nice.
Have this.
Moderator cut: Judaism bashing link removed.
I asked where in the Talmud have you read this...

BTW...I'm not a Christian...I'm a Jew...

Old 08-28-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
It's relevant...Many Christians state that the Law has been done away with...
It is not relevant to OUR discussion Richard, so please reply to MY post, not what OTHERS think, you are talking to ME, not other Christians. If you want to talk about the law sometime fine, start a post on it and I will meet you there, for now just reply to what we were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality