Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM

1,422 posts, read 952,148 times

Advertisements

Examining Ideas of God Outside the Dogma of Organised Religion

I have had an interesting life thinking about ideas of god and investigating beliefs to do with god concepts as humans have created them.

I think that the evolution of human consciousness has naturally included ideas of Gods and afterlife as ‘par for the course’ due to the nature of the environment in which human consciousness finds itself – the physical universe...specifically on a planet, in a galaxy.

The nearest thing I have ever encountered which is real and could be considered, if not a ‘god’ then certainly a potential candidate, is the human species itself...or more to the point, consciousness, so not necessarily just humanity, but ‘all creatures great and small.’

A sort of ‘god in the making’ which might make it or might not...with human consciousness at the helm.

Of course the planet is considered by some to being a god (although referred to as a goddess) and while as an idea it isn’t to be frowned at, I have come to understand that ‘GOD’ at least has to be conscious/self aware, and thus it is the collective consciousness of the planet altogether which would comprise the ‘god’ part and the planet is the form through which other forms derive.

In relation to every god idea ever conceived through the imaginations and experiences of human beings throughout the existence of humankind, these can be summed up as having the same source.

‘Life after death’ is intimately connected with the concept of God and thus is worthwhile including in the subject of this thread.

This simple diagram details how I have come to understand the idea of GOD in relation to humankind specifically and earth consciousness generally.

eta "this simple diagram'

This thread is specifically focused upon the idea that we – the human species collectively - are the GOD we have been reacting about over the course of our existence and that the idea of ‘one god’ evolved from the idea of many god(s) as a more realistic way of viewing/understanding the idea of ‘god’, in relation to the planet (being one planet) and the life involved with that planet (being one thing).

Last edited by Rotagivan; 04-22-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Examining Ideas of God Outside the Dogma of Organised Religion

I have had an interesting life thinking about ideas of god and investigating beliefs to do with god concepts as humans have created them.

I think that the evolution of human consciousness has naturally included ideas of Gods and afterlife as ‘par for the course’ due to the nature of the environment in which human consciousness finds itself – the physical universe...specifically on a planet, in a galaxy.

The nearest thing I have ever encountered which is real and could be considered, if not a ‘god’ then certainly a potential candidate, is the human species itself...or more to the point, consciousness, so not necessarily just humanity, but ‘all creatures great and small.’

A sort of ‘god in the making’ which might make it or might not...with human consciousness at the helm.

Of course the planet is considered by some to being a god (although referred to as a goddess) and while as an idea it isn’t to be frowned at, I have come to understand that ‘GOD’ at least has to be conscious/self aware, and thus it is the collective consciousness of the planet altogether which would comprise the ‘god’ part and the planet is the form through which other forms derive.

In relation to every god idea ever conceived through the imaginations and experiences of human beings throughout the existence of humankind, these can be summed up as having the same source.

‘Life after death’ is intimately connected with the concept of God and thus is worthwhile including in the subject of this thread.

This simple diagram details how I have come to understand the idea of GOD in relation to humankind specifically and earth consciousness generally.

This thread is specifically focused upon the idea that we – the human species collectively - are the GOD we have been reacting about over the course of our existence and that the idea of ‘one god’ evolved from the idea of many god(s) as a more realistic way of viewing/understanding the idea of ‘god’, in relation to the planet (being one planet) and the life involved with that planet (being one thing).
How do you know you have it right?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
It seems to me that any instinctive beliefs - true or not - that we have are evolved as a survival mechanism. Thus belief in gods is likely to be of that kind.

Further, after following a lot of arguments by believers, I am convinced that the god they believe in is shaped as much by their own ideas as by the tenets of the religion, and not a few deconverts have come to realize that the voice of God is just the voice of their own mind.

Finally, I am not going to get a response to the Nazareth debunk, am I?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
[b]

On the smallest scale, I would suggest earth as the base unit. Much like Your body is the smallest entity that is you. I think the Earth is the smallest unit of "us". But I guess we could argue neurons are you and thus humans are the base unit.. My stance is strictly evidence based logic. Addressing how people feel about things is not my area. Those distortions are not real so out of reach for me. And You are correct in that nothing we can "dream up" isn't a human notion in the end.

The earth resembles a cell in many ways. It's scary to think we would be the brains though. It's not a reach to call it (the biosphere) life and saying some people feel connected to it and others don't. And most likely we react to it in much the same way our cells react to us. Or atoms react to us. To the atoms in you the process looks random. It is not. I think these connections are just misunderstood by some as some super power thingies. It's not. It just is. but it is felt by some.

And I don't see it possible that humans have anything the universe doesn't have vastly more of. Toss in thermodynamics, conservation, and space being something and For all intensive purpose the deal is sealed. I just have no idea of what the traits are.

Couple that with "emergence". And that we have is inability to see what traits have emerged due to all the interactions that take place in our region of space and "Something" is considerably more probable than "no-nothing". I don't know what it is or why it is there. It just is not a "parent type" thing. I see no evidence of that kind.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Default One Mind – Many Facets.

One Mind – Many Facets.

Part of the idea involves the concept of collective consciousness and the understanding of earth consciousness as a single entity, of which we each are an aspect of and in a way act as an information conduit in order for the entity to experience as many variables as it can through our individual subjective realities.

These subjective realities altogether make up the way the entity sees itself and learns to understand itself in relation to the environment of the physical universe.

From its perspective it has always been ‘alive’ in one form or another in relation to life on earth, which is to say that it experienced what it was like in the times of the dinosaurs – through exactly the same process – by consciously experiencing being that collective consciousness through the experience of the forms it animated – even that the individuated consciousnesses themselves were unable to be aware of this larger conscious reality.

In relation to human consciousness, this would be the primary aspect of overall earth consciousness which would the Entity to propel itself forward into the future utilizing the human form as the best tool available in which to speed up the process of its evolution.

In relation to birth and death of form, earth consciousness rides the perpetual wave of the human form, and has done since the advent of that form.
This is to say that the single entity which diversifies into the multitude of human forms essentially experiences life uninterrupted by death.

Experience brings with it insight and understanding which helps the earth entity along its path of self discovery and purpose. The information garnered from the perpetual experience is channelled back to the receptive aspects of humanity and from this ideas are formed, problems are solved, new understanding and purpose is developed all aligned to the objectives of the single earth entity.

If humanity was more a hive-minded type species, this process would be far easier and less messy. If the human being was able to perceive the conscious thoughts of other human beings humanity would be better equipped to align itself with purpose as a single entity in relation to the physical universe, as well as with the spiritual universe.

This is not the case however, but is the case in relation to the earth entity, which is positioned in the spiritual universe as the central hub of the collective of earth consciousness and the information processing of that collective experience

Imagine – as a metaphor, the planet in which the central core represents the hub where all surface information is collected, examined, assimilate, revised and then is sent back to the surface to affect the effect of humanity and that the connection which made this possible is consciousness itself.

The earth entity in this regard is itself experiencing a subjective reality which involves every one of us and our own subjective experience altogether, from the very beginning of the advent of consciousness on earth to present moment.

In every way, we are it – we each are aspects of the earth entity and exist in our individuate perspectives of subjectivity unaware of being connected to a greater reality – a wider consciousness which has perpetual and total access to our individual experiences.

The diagram is a simple 2D representation of the connection between the earth entity and the individual human. The red line represents the information flow between the two aspects of consciousness where the individual is unaware to a large degree of the connection that exists. The yellow line represents the same information flow between the two aspects of consciousness where the individual is aware to some degree of the connection that exists, but distorts the information through belief in relation to god ideas. The blue line represents the same information flow between the two aspects of consciousness where the individual is aware to a large degree of the connection that exists and the implications therein without beliefs distorting the information,

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM

867 posts, read 909,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Finally, I am not going to get a response to the Nazareth debunk, am I?
OK, I'll answer the Nazareth debunk for Vizio. Just give me the context and the question and I'll answer it. Keep in mind I have no idea what you are talking about here but I figure I having nothing better to do so might as well answer it.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
One Mind – Many Facets.

Part of the idea involves the concept of collective consciousness and the understanding of earth consciousness as a single entity, of which we each are an aspect of and in a way act as an information conduit in order for the entity to experience as many variables as it can through our individual subjective realities.

These subjective realities altogether make up the way the entity sees itself and learns to understand itself in relation to the environment of the physical universe.

From its perspective it has always been ‘alive’ in one form or another in relation to life on earth, which is to say that it experienced what it was like in the times of the dinosaurs – through exactly the same process – by consciously experiencing being that collective consciousness through the experience of the forms it animated – even that the individuated consciousnesses themselves were unable to be aware of this larger conscious reality.

In relation to human consciousness, this would be the primary aspect of overall earth consciousness which would the Entity to propel itself forward into the future utilizing the human form as the best tool available in which to speed up the process of its evolution.

In relation to birth and death of form, earth consciousness rides the perpetual wave of the human form, and has done since the advent of that form.
This is to say that the single entity which diversifies into the multitude of human forms essentially experiences life uninterrupted by death.

Experience brings with it insight and understanding which helps the earth entity along its path of self discovery and purpose. The information garnered from the perpetual experience is channelled back to the receptive aspects of humanity and from this ideas are formed, problems are solved, new understanding and purpose is developed all aligned to the objectives of the single earth entity.

If humanity was more a hive-minded type species, this process would be far easier and less messy. If the human being was able to perceive the conscious thoughts of other human beings humanity would be better equipped to align itself with purpose as a single entity in relation to the physical universe, as well as with the spiritual universe.

This is not the case however, but is the case in relation to the earth entity, which is positioned in the spiritual universe as the central hub of the collective of earth consciousness and the information processing of that collective experience

Imagine – as a metaphor, the planet in which the central core represents the hub where all surface information is collected, examined, assimilate, revised and then is sent back to the surface to affect the effect of humanity and that the connection which made this possible is consciousness itself.

The earth entity in this regard is itself experiencing a subjective reality which involves every one of us and our own subjective experience altogether, from the very beginning of the advent of consciousness on earth to present moment.

In every way, we are it – we each are aspects of the earth entity and exist in our individuate perspectives of subjectivity unaware of being connected to a greater reality – a wider consciousness which has perpetual and total access to our individual experiences.

The diagram is a simple 2D representation of the connection between the earth entity and the individual human. The red line represents the information flow between the two aspects of consciousness where the individual is unaware to a large degree of the connection that exists. The yellow line represents the same information flow between the two aspects of consciousness where the individual is aware to some degree of the connection that exists, but distorts the information through belief in relation to god ideas. The blue line represents the same information flow between the two aspects of consciousness where the individual is aware to a large degree of the connection that exists and the implications therein without beliefs distorting the information,
The concept of collective unconscious is metaphysical i.e. it is as much superstition as what you attribute to the concept of God and religion. So, your post is puzzling because you are an atheist replacing one, "myth," with another myth.

If there is a zeitgeist in the literal sense then there is a God as well as the concept of zeitgeist in continental philosophy was developed to show the changing nature of history is rational a la Hegel.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know you have it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It seems to me...*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
On the smallest scale, I would suggest earth as the base unit. *snip*

I hope it is appreciated that the comments so far don't require being replied to (as far as I can tell) other than acknowledging they have been made.
The thread is about examining ideas of 'God' (outside the dogma of organised religion), and I am presenting a concept for why the idea of god originated through the advent and evolution of human consciousness - a concept which is able to incorporate cultural, religious and spiritual ideas (rather than dogmas) as a way of unifying a coherent concept of wholeness in relation to human consciousness.

Cheers.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I hope it is appreciated that the comments so far don't require being replied to (as far as I can tell) other than acknowledging they have been made.
The thread is about examining ideas of 'God' (outside the dogma of organised religion), and I am presenting a concept for why the idea of god originated through the advent and evolution of human consciousness - a concept which is able to incorporate cultural, religious and spiritual ideas (rather than dogmas) as a way of unifying a coherent concept of wholeness in relation to human consciousness.

Cheers.

What I don't get is why you are replacing one unsubstantiated claim for another unsubstantiated claim. I'm assuming you are an atheist by the way and that may be the problem. Are you an atheist?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
The concept of collective unconscious...
Collective Consciousness...

Quote:
...is metaphysical i.e. it is as much superstition as what you attribute to the concept of God and religion.
Superstition is something else again. Can you point out where I have made comments which can be said to being 'superstitious'?

Quote:
So, your post is puzzling because you are an atheist replacing one, "myth," with another myth.
Myth in itself is neither here nor there. it serves a purpose as long as it remains outside dogma. I am surprised that you do not know this.
The thread is more about unifying myth through the concept of all myth being sourced at the one source. I hope to clarify this in further posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
What I don't get is why you are replacing one unsubstantiated claim for another unsubstantiated claim. I'm assuming you are an atheist by the way and that may be the problem. Are you an atheist?
I am not an atheist any more than I am a theist. But whatever, your puzzlement regarding my position is not the subject of this thread.

Cheers

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality