Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 PM

245 posts, read 625,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
So in the evolution of man its possible that religious people may be extending a humans existence because their doubt and fighting to live because of fear of death and a judgment by God? Where as some science types lie down and die. I know this statement is biased but do people that fight to live actually help humans towards that goal of immortality? EW
you ignored the part where I said "when they relieze death is emminent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,921 times
"when they relieze death is emminent".

lol Ew

Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
What could the "lol" possibly have to do with this discussion. It seem totally inappropriate. In a discussion about religious beliefs and philosophy and end of life experiences, how is anything that any one offers possibly something to laugh about! I am astounded at the lack of respect and regard for diverse opinions!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
We have all heard the "atheists in foxholes" arguement; It's always because they are weak, and in a fragile moment and looking death in the eye.

But at some point we will all look death in the eye, pretty much everyone understands this.

Maybe that's why there is religion in the first place; maybe that's a big part of why people find religion...

just sayin. take that where you want to go with it...

Old 01-27-2008, 02:09 PM

245 posts, read 625,344 times
maybe it was my spelling, maybe not, by my personal experience I would say that athieism is so very rare I have no experience how they go, but I have seen many agnostics who are simply trying to be at peace so will allow a preacher in just so they will leave them alone.

Last edited by steffan; 01-27-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
if so he is easily amused; far too easily!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I don't think anything which stems from fear of death , something which is natural for most human beings towards the end is exactly a triumph for the idea of a deity.

Atheists are human beings and some on their death-bed will "embrace" god the way people who are terrified of something scary will thrash around, grasping at straws .

Most do not. It certainly shows nothing more than human nature and human behaviour at its most vulnerable. Hardly surprising.

I hope I won't go that way but if I do I wouldn't really take it so much as an "embracing" as a misguided moment of uncertainty.
We all vacillate at some point in our lives and facing the big Grim Reaper seems a pretty logical time to do so !

Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't think anything which stems from fear of death , something which is natural for most human beings towards the end is exactly a triumph for the idea of a deity.

Atheists are human beings and some on their death-bed will "embrace" god the way people who are terrified of something scary will thrash around, grasping at straws .

Most do not. It certainly shows nothing more than human nature and human behaviour at its most vulnerable. Hardly surprising.

I hope I won't go that way but if I do I wouldn't really take it so much as an "embracing" as a misguided moment of uncertainty.
We all vacillate at some point in our lives and facing the big Grim Reaper seems a pretty logical time to do so !
I agree, frankly its nothing other then an example of what is wrong with christianity. The tendency to WANT to believe in fantasy rather then relying on fact and logic doesn't make it so. People get affraid when they are dying, everyone does. I don't think a decision made with fear in your heart means anything at all.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I agree, frankly its nothing other then an example of what is wrong with christianity. The tendency to WANT to believe in fantasy rather then relying on fact and logic doesn't make it so. People get affraid when they are dying, everyone does. I don't think a decision made with fear in your heart means anything at all.

Well this all so heart warming but my question was a bit different. But as long as you bring up the logic, why then do some atheists embrace God before death? So your answer is because its Christianity's fault atheists do this. If atheists are so logical and factual it seems something must change their minds in the end. EW

Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Well this all so heart warming but my question was a bit different. But as long as you bring up the logic, why then do some atheists embrace God before death? So your answer is because its Christianity's fault atheists do this. If atheists are so logical and factual it seems something must change their minds in the end. EW
Why do some Christians curse their god before death? If they're so convinced Christianity is right, something must change their minds in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality