Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Uncomfortable with the challenge I present? There's an option called ignore. You can always use that.
LMAO, I will take your advice.

P.S. I wasn't aware you presented a challenge.
I posted questions that I wanted legitimate answers to. Some were smart enough to give an answer others missed the questions and presented a challenge. EW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
cleatis, am I misreading your post?
What are you saying here?

Red, I got what you were saying, note that some people tend to deflect questions posed from the "other" side. After all, the thread was set up to discredit atheism.
Yeah, you may be misreading it i tried to be somewhat elusive as I didn't want to insult anyone...

the atheists in foxholes argument is kind of invalid because when one is in a situation of great threat they aren't always being rational. So when one is in fight or flight and looking at death chances are that they will be thinking about whatever will save their hide.

Hence I was saying that in the long term people realize that they will die and they simply cant or don't want to want to cope with it. So many are like the atheist in the foxhole, only the death they are looking at is farther down the road.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Yeah, you may be misreading it i tried to be somewhat elusive as I didn't want to insult anyone...

the atheists in foxholes argument is kind of invalid because when one is in a situation of great threat they aren't always being rational. So when one is in fight or flight and looking at death chances are that they will be thinking about whatever will save their hide.

Hence I was saying that in the long term people realize that they will die and they simply cant or don't want to want to cope with it. So many are like the atheist in the foxhole, only the death they are looking at is farther down the road.
Sorry, it's just after 7 here and I've not yet had enough coffee. I'm still not getting your point.

What I'm reading are two disparate ideas, that you think people embrace religion because they're hedging their bets; and that with religion; that atheists in a foxhole embrace a god because they're irrational. Am I still confused?

The point made earlier (this is where I'm getting confused) was that there are indeed atheists in foxholes. I think this is clouding my reading.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My dear mother was a very spiritual woman but not your conventional Christian. She had a wonderful affinity for the whole of creation--and lived her life by most of Jesus' teachings with regards to how we should treat one another, but shunning the teachings of St. Paul (that would be the backbone of christian creeds and theology.)

During the year before she died, and while she had her full lucidity and customary independance, she told me that how much she loved me and how wonderful her life had been, and how satisfied and content she was with the most of it......then she said, "If when I am dying, I start talking about heaven and God, and praying for this or that....I want you to promise me that you will tell me to snap out of it and remind me that I never believed in all that stuff, I don't now and if I have my right mind about me...I won't then." She died later that year, and never once mumbled a word about Heaven or Judgement or God. She did say that if there was anyway she could be reunited with her husband, that would make it all worthwhile. I told her that we can never know, but if such a thing were possible, I was sure their love and lives had earned it for them. She died very peacefully and without regrets.
Wonderful and beautiful post. She sounds like a really interesting and honest Lady.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
There is such a thing as an Atheist in a foxhole. There is such a thing as a Believer in a foxhole. There is also such a thing as an Atheist turned Believer in a foxhole and there is also such a thing as a Believer turned Atheist in a foxhole.

Personally, I truly admire the person who becomes an Atheist in a foxhole. It tells me that the person is remaining rational and logical throughout a chaotic ordeal. I'd probably be apt to follow that guy through the war. Hey, that would make two Atheists in Foxholes!!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sorry, it's just after 7 here and I've not yet had enough coffee. I'm still not getting your point.

What I'm reading are two disparate ideas, that you think people embrace religion because they're hedging their bets; and that with religion; that atheists in a foxhole embrace a god because they're irrational. Am I still confused?

The point made earlier (this is where I'm getting confused) was that there are indeed atheists in foxholes. I think this is clouding my reading.
for the most part yes. I think that many people embrace religion because they know they will die and as you say they hedge their bet. Much the same way the atheist finds god in the foxhole, out of fear mostly...

in the foxhole, one doesn't think as rational as they would normally. when in fear, one doesn't think as rational as they normally would.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM

265 posts, read 615,423 times
responding to question and quote;

"Maybe fear of death scared then enough to reconsider the possibility that they are wrong? Whats your take? Just wondering what caused these people to change their mind. " {atheist}

when they strong and healthy to combat the Christian about God whenever someone shared with them they were like.......ho-hum whateveeeer! when it came to considering they could be wrong they were like............too busy. even here on this site whenever they find us talking about God they just......

!!!!! and the poor sanits are just...

however, there is something about not being able to stay in your own body at will, and something about going into everlasting darkness that make people at death want the light switch..... no matter what. it's best to continue to share because we never know when the truth will take hold. hopefully not too late.

tee-hee-hee

Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
however, there is something about not being able to stay in your own body at will, and something about going into everlasting darkness that make people at death want the light switch...
Wrong. I've been at death's door and I didn't change my mind.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 455 times
“Either Christianity is true or it's false. If you bet that it's true, and you believe in God and submit to Him, then if it IS true, you've gained God, heaven, and everything else. If it's false, you've lost nothing, but you've had a good life marked by peace and the illusion that ultimately, everything makes sense. If you bet that Christianity is not true, and it's false, you've lost nothing. But if you bet that it's false, and it turns out to be true, you've lost everything and you get to spend eternity in hell.”

-Blaise Pascal

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Which god?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality